Innocent's credit-crunching recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Innocent

Banned
Right, having been previously quite comfortable, now I'm a stoodent at the age of 64, have no damned money, and have to go back to my stoodent days, and try to survive. So I'm asking all of you to join me in a cheapo recipe fest. And do please try to be slightly serious!

It's a serious thread. BG asked me for bowls of ratatouille, and this is the recipe I got in 1960, in St Trop, when I was a mere 15-year-old slip of a dunnowhat, and overwhelmed by my first foray into Europe, to stay with an amazing family, who had never encountered a Brit teenage girl before. Their children were all boys. They had the only villa on the only beach in St Trop, and it's still an amazing and dream-like memory for me. It lasted three weeks, and it lasted my lifetime. I have never forgotten that experience of an alternative lifestyle.

Madame wanted to teach cuisine to a girl. I wanted to listen. She was a damned sight better than my mother, who really was and is an old fart.

So here is Madame's recipe, which she gave me, for ratatouille, and which I always follow. It is always amazing.

Right. Adapted to Leicester.

Go to Leicester Market. Buy a 50p bowl of onions, a 50p bowl of assorted peppers, a 50p bowl of courgettes, a 50p bowl of cherry tomatoes, and a 50p aubergine. Cheap as chips.

Get a deep pan, and in it put loads of olive oil, and then chop the onions into this, while including some chopped garlic - to taste. Cook the onions until they are caramelised (slightly browned). This is important, because it gives sweetness. Keep moving them around. Then add the peppers, cut into strips. Mix and allow to cook before adding the courgettes. Slice these lengthways in two, then four, then across into four again, so you have longish pieces. And add to the pot. Then cut the aubergine into halves, then quarters, then into slices about half an inch thick. Aubergines turn into mush if you're not careful.Be gentle with them.

After you've introduced them to the oil and got them slightly soft, add a pound (at least) of cherry tomatoes, and keep turning. They will turn into a sauce. You can put lid on the pan after you've added mixed herbs, salt, celery salt, coarse black pepper, and chilli flakes and whatever else you fancy.

Let that simmer for as long as.......

Ratatouille is great tepid or cold. Never eat it hot. If you're serving it cold, you can dress it with more olive oil and balsamic vinegar, if you want to. You can serve it warm as a pasta dressing, or as a dressing for baked potato, or as an omelette filling. You can serve it as a salsa with burgers, as a veg, or as a baguette filling. It's great as a baguette filling and weighted down overnight so that the salsa spreads into the bread. That is scrummy.

It's a week's food for a stoodent but also an impressive dinner party fest if it's stuffing mushrooms, or if it's doused with parmesan or baked (with cheese topping and bacon) as a main course.

Next week - the stoodent guide to very cheap korma.

Week after - loads of stuff to do with crap mince.

:)

'Go to Leicester Market'........................

Is Lincoln Market OK......................

Last edited:
Can I send someone to get the stuff from Sainsburys?

The best idea I have is to just get the woman to do it all, much easier and simpler for me that was.

:) :) :)

You lot really do brighten my terminally crap days of writing this damned Fud.

Said this before, but I truly mean it.

Thanks.
:0)

:) :) :)

You lot really do brighten my terminally crap days of writing this damned Fud.

Said this before, but I truly mean it.

Thanks.
:0)

Awww chirrup Innocent.

Everyone loves it when you split your posts into 20 seperate paragraphs and end it with a :) Brightens all our days

Right. my korma recipe. You can do this with any old thing. Even Sainsbury's chicken wings if you're desperate! Drumsticks are fine. My fave is chicken thighs, and I don't take the bone out or the skin off, but you can if you're a bit pernickety. Just use the meat you want to use. You can even use fish, or rabbit, which I love, too, and on some stalls on Leicester Market you can buy mixed fish pieces which are brill in this dish.

Right. This is a great pre-match prep, and a post-match yum-fest.

First, a carton of natural yogurt (I hate yogurt, and can hardly bear to do this but it works, which is what counts). Add to it shedloads of ginger which if you want to grate for a lifetime, please do, or you can get it in a jar. That's my choice. Also add lots of garlic, which you can grate or slice narrowly, bearing in mind that you don't both want to be spending the night on the bog. It can destroy your love life.

Then add to this mixture a teaspoon or two of garam masala, one of turmeric, at least one of coriander paste, some chili flakes to taste, and leave to marinate in the fridge while you take yourselves off to watch Leicester tonk Sheff U. YEAH!!!

Right, arrive home. Do the onion caramelise as previously described, in some good oil. Drink a can of whatever and listen to the moaners on Radio Leicester if you have to. Meanwhile, take a cupful of Basmati rice for each person, and soak that in cold water, in a saucepan, which should just be above rice level. Leave this to absorb.

Next, when the onions look good and sweated and brownish, add the meat/fish and the marinade. This in a few moments should look revolting. That's the nature of yogurt, it splits and appears very nasty. Take no notice. Just keep stirring. That's my advice to all people - when things look bad, don't ever stop moving. Turn the heat right down, my second piece of advice for all occasions. But vital in this one.

Just let the korma find its level. Drink another tinny, stirring occasionally when you can be bothered. And then, after about three quarters of an hour for big pieces of meat/fish, and ten minutes for small ones (you have to hunch that one) add the magic ingredient - creamed coconut. You'll see as you stir it in, a touch of magic happening to that nasty yogurt. If after it's all dissolved, the yogurt isn't tamed, add more. It's pathetically cheap, so it's up to you. You can also add nuts and soft veg cut up small and dried fruit and turn the heat down to almost zero. Keep tasting. Add lots of black pepper and salt.

Meanwhile, check the water level on your basmati. If it's absorbed it all, just add another smidgeon so that the water level is marginally above the rice, add a twirl of salt, and set to boil. As soon as it does, turn the heat off completely and instantly, put a tight lid on,but leave on the hob. The rice will then steam and be perfect in half an hour. This method always works for rice of any kind.

In that half hour, the korma should be perfecto. If it's not, add some more creamed coconut, and give it another ten minutes.

Then serve.

This is really scrummy, and costs a quarter of what it would cost in a restaurant. Also, it's flexible. But bear in mind that fish cooks very fast, and then begins to disintegrate, so if you're doing this with fish, you may have to rescue it from the sauce with a slotted spoon, early in the process, and put it back just before serving.

Next - mince in all its cheap and wonderful glory!

There was this bloke once, who liked experimenting with different drugs. One day he ran out of smokable materials, and so improvised with a selection of his girlfriends herbs and spices from her collection.

After rolling dried coconut, chilli flakes, garlick and ginger into a mighty fine spliff, he smoked it.

The next morning his girlfriend found him motionless on the floor of the kitchen. After dialling 999 the ambulance crew confirmed the worst.....

He was in a Korma!

Sorry.

My secret recipe -

Get a block of red Leicester cheese and a victoria sponge cake, buy a mixer and mix it all together, in the end you will have a cheesecake.

No worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47