interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hazzman said:
Forgot the money side but 9 years of service for one club in this current Football climate is good going. Izzet wasnt a saint but he was professional. There wasnt many games where he was absolute shit for us, never made a bad comment about the club unlike like some.

I also read that agents had a massive part to play in Izzet leaving.
Also for the fact, that he left that season to actually finally serve himself.

Money did play a part but I dont think Izzet was a slave to money. It looks now his best years will always of been at Leicester.

I wouldn't quarrel with that - but wasn't another factor that he never got an opportunity to move to a London club and he didn't fancy the move up north to Middlesbrough?.

Redditch Fox said:
I wouldn't quarrel with that - but wasn't another factor that he never got an opportunity to move to a London club and he didn't fancy the move up north to Middlesbrough?.

Yes, I bet he hasnt had to move house in joining Birmingham.

Izzet was a great player but i just don't understand why some believe him to be a loyal saint, and i remember having this argument with webbo (i think sorry if it wasn't) ages ago so i'm not getting into it again as all the points have been made
on the jason roberts note, because that fell through we got marcus bent who was quality for us while roberts did feck all for pompy and only redeemed himself at wigan.

drummindefender said:
Izzet was a great player but i just don't understand why some believe him to be a loyal saint, and i remember having this argument with webbo (i think sorry if it wasn't) ages ago so i'm not getting into it again as all the points have been made
on the jason roberts note, because that fell through we got marcus bent who was quality for us while roberts did feck all for pompy and only redeemed himself at wigan.

The Roberts deal was in the transfer window, werent it?

drummindefender said:

He came in the following season.

drummindefender said:

I said a while ago that Izzet staying with us when we got relegated wasn't in the club's best interests and I got slagged off for it by one of the kids who went over to Foxestalk.

webmaster said:
I said a while ago that Izzet staying with us when we got relegated wasn't in the club's best interests and I got slagged off for it by one of the kids who went over to Foxestalk.

Precisely, he only stayed because he didn't get the right offer and the £6m from Boro would have been crucial for us - obviously.

That does not detract from his performances on the field - as Mickey correctly pointed out - in the promotion season he was the difference between us being an ordinary side and a championship chasing outfit.

webmaster said:

I'll 'sort of' accept the point I think you're making about the club's best interests....but I'm not having Izzet not being the main reason as to why we were so strong in the only season back down amongst the shite a few seasons back. Remember the games we didnt win that season (might be wrong but) I bet it was when Muzzy wasn't available......suspended or injured.

In the 'best interests' = money for the club.

For a fan wanting the best team to watch/chance of success = Izzet staying at the club.

BOB HAZELL said:
In the 'best interests' = money for the club.

Money that could have prevented the club going into administration!

In hindsight it was probably right for Izzet to stay - but only because we came out of administration relatively unscathed, it could have been a lot worse.

BOB HAZELL said:
Come off it, Webbo....we were doomed anyway.....

The club had agreed with the major creditors to defer some of the debt and it was only the actions of *r*c h*ll that forced us to call in the administrators when we did.
It may well have happened anyway without h*ll's actions, but a few million for Izzet and 30,000 a week off the wage bill would have given us more of a chance, even if it just meant we could survive until the transfer window so we could sell some more players.

webmaster said:
The club had agreed with the major creditors to defer some of the debt and it was only the actions of *r*c h*ll that forced us to call in the administrators when we did.
It may well have happened anyway without h*ll's actions, but a few million for Izzet and 30,000 a week off the wage bill would have given us more of a chance, even if it just meant we could survive until the transfer window so we could sell some more players.

It would have helped, no doubt about it. But with that twat Hall as a creditor it was unavoidable.

webmaster said:
would have given us more of a chanceQUOTE]

.......of what? Avoiding admin.....?As I said earlier, i'll accept it - just.

But given us more of a chance of a successful, winning side......I doubt that very much.

webmaster said:
Of course it wouldn't - but at the time trying to keep the creditors paid was more important than who was in the team.

Was it? Paying a t**t like him was more important than the make up of the team??....not sure about that, but again will take your point.

Maybe now the laws have been changed, yes it would be....but how badly did we come out it by actually going into admin? Not too badly else they wouldn't have felt the need to alter the law to penalise any club living beyond their means...

Last edited:
lets face it, people will say that it would of been better for muzzy to leave us for financial reasons when we got relegated, but we would never of been able to replace him with a player anywhere near his quality and therefore most likely not got promotion the following season which would of then lead to the board getting a load of abuse for selling our best player and thinking about running a business instead of a football club, they will get abuse for whatever they do.

IMO i do not see how anyone can slag muzzy off, he rejected numerous offers to stay with us throughout his time here and scored some of the greatest goals and played a very important part from when he was on loan, scoring the winner at watford and then winning the peno at wembely till his last game, that Pompy match was one of the best performances he ever gave. you say in the end he just jumped ship but do we know if he was ever offered a new contract with reduced terms??

MUZZY WAS AND IS A LEDGEND!!

and if he was only here for the money, would he not of stayed for just one more year so he could of had a testermonial (sp) to get a few hundred grand from that???????????

BOB HAZELL said:
Was it? Paying a t**t like him was more important than the make up of the team??....not sure about that, but again will take your point.

Maybe now the laws have been changed, yes it would be....but how badly did we come out it if by actually going into admin? Not too badly else they wouldn't have felt the need to alter the law to penalise any club living beyond their means...

As I've said before, in hindsight going into administration was probably a good thing - but at the time we didn't know that was going to happen, there was a serious danger we may not have survived, or we could have ended up being taken over by an asset stripper rather than by people who are (mostly) supporters.
We had to do everything possible to pay the bills, and that meant trying to get the big earners off the wage bill. Not just Muzzy, but Elliott, Jones, Flowers, Lewis, Royce etc. We ended up selling Piper because we couldn't get rid of any of the older players.

matt_c0nn0lly said:
and if he was only here for the money, would he not of stayed for just one more year so he could of had a testermonial (sp) to get a few hundred grand from that???????????

Not compared with the £30k p.w. Brum offered him - Loyalty, eh!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669