ipod

Status
Not open for further replies.
webmaster said:
Yes. It's encoded so that if you stop paying the monthly subscription the files stop working.

Right, was unaware of that, there is a pretty simple program you can download FoC that will convert music files to work on different players. Not sure about this type though...

Duzza said:
Right, was unaware of that, there is a pretty simple program you can download FoC that will convert music files to work on different players. Not sure about this type though...

Don't think it will work. I think the only way to get round the copy protection is to copy them is the old fashioned way, by recording the audio.

not your gramophone rant again webbo. :081:

webmaster said:
Yes. It's encoded so that if you stop paying the monthly subscription the files stop working.
which is why itunes is so much better to download music as theres a standard rate for all tracks and once you've downloaded it its yours-for ever (well providing your hard drive doesnt get wiped and you haven't done a back up :biggrin: )

drummindefender said:
which is why itunes is so much better to download music as theres a standard rate for all tracks and once you've downloaded it its yours-for ever (well providing your hard drive doesnt get wiped and you haven't done a back up :biggrin: )

You can do the same thing with Napster, you don't need to buy a monthly subscription, you can pay per track instead.

But what the monthly subscription allows you to do is download as many tracks as you want, so you could download a thousand tracks and just pay the normal monthly fee (something like a tenner), how much would that cost on iTunes?

webmaster said:
Don't think it will work. I think the only way to get round the copy protection is to copy them is the old fashioned way, by recording the audio.

Can't you just burn them on to a CD, then rip the CD back to your library as unencoded MP3s?

I've done that before to convert WMAs to MP3s for my ipod since I didn't have a package at the time.

glyn said:
Can't you just burn them on to a CD, then rip the CD back to your library as unencoded MP3s?

I've done that before to convert WMAs to MP3s for my ipod since I didn't have a package at the time.
There's plenty of stuff on eBay to help with them sorts of problems Glyn, failing that, medical help is always at hand :icon_wink

glyn said:

No, you can only play them on something that can decode the copy protection, so you can't copy them onto CDs because no cd burning software can decode them.

webmaster said:
No, you can only play them on something that can decode the copy protection, so you can't copy them onto CDs because no cd burning software can decode them.

and you're moaning about not being able to use them on an iPod?? :icon_lol: :102:

Duzza said:
and you're moaning about not being able to use them on an iPod?? :icon_lol: :102:

If you want to have something on CD you can pay your 79p or whatever is costs and burn it to CD, just like you can with iTunes.

The monthly subscription thing is for people who want to listen to lots of different music on their PC or MP3 player, and want to change it regularly without having to pay for every track they download. To do this the player has to be able to confirm that the subscription is up to date to be able to play the files. As the CD format was designed 20 odd years before this kind of copyright protection was thought of obviously this isn't going to work with CDs, because existing CD players can't check the license.

But there's no excuse for Apple not including this on the iPod. It could probably be added just as a firmware update if they wanted to do it. But Apple don't want to do it because it would stop people buying things from iTunes, so it would dent their profits.

to transfer songs from your ipod to your computer download a program called copypod i think it is and it lets you transfer songs from any ipod into your library.

and on the subject of downloading music from itunes/napster its all a rip off its about as cheap to buy a cd and then you can do what the fook you like with it, play it in your cd player, car, put it on your computer, any mp3 player, use it as a frisbee and the boxes are very handy for skinning up a j!!
Also your fooked if your computer gets robbed or attacked cus you lost all that music you paid for unless you got a back-up of it all which is always changing! so stick with your versatile cd and you got no problems!!!

matt_c0nn0lly said:
and on the subject of downloading music from itunes/napster its all a rip off its about as cheap to buy a cd

It's as cheap to buy the CD if you want all the tracks on the CD. But if you only want a few tracks from an album it's cheaper to download.

Downloading is also useful to listen to stuff you don't know if you'll like and don't want to risk splashing out on a whole CD.

webmaster said:
It's as cheap to buy the CD if you want all the tracks on the CD. But if you only want a few tracks from an album it's cheaper to download.

Downloading is also useful to listen to stuff you don't know if you'll like and don't want to risk splashing out on a whole CD.

how very true, but you are only downloading a track compared to physically buying something which as a consumer feels like you are getting less for your money although you still get the song you want. IMO downloading music still needs to be far cheaper for it to truely take over from cds.

I supose it depends on what you like about music. i mean if i hear a song i like i will try and get the album to get into the band as many good songs on albums are not released rather than just have a few songs from different bands. As well as this, your taste in music will help decide your preferred purchasing method as it is far easier to find hard to get music from less well known bands/artists online as it is to actually buy it.

fcukcov said:
another good peice of software for cutting up tracks is Wavepad. You can download it for free from download.com

by the way I tried both Wavepad and Audacity and both did what I need in terms of cutting up tracks. However Wavepad can handle the new(ish) AAC m4a format which Audacity can't. cheers both of you anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566