Ipswich bid for McAuley

Status
Not open for further replies.

thank goodness for that looks like Norris is dead in the water too

Full story
McAuley is staying at City Exclusive by Bill Anderson

Gareth McAuley is staying at Leicester City after the club turned down a second offer from Ipswich Town.
mcauley-we05.jpg

And not only that, City are also ready to offer the defender a new contract.

City boss Ian Holloway has been given the “green light” to improve the Northern Ireland international's terms by chairman Milan Mandaric, who “finally rejected” the Suffolk club's overtures.

Holloway said: “Gareth is a great lad, he is happy here and one of those who has played really well for me since I came here, so I did not want to lose him.

“Our defence has been a strong point recently and he has played a full part in that. We are ambitious to move forward and try to get out of this division, and we have to keep our best players to do that.
“I am trying to improve the quality of the squad by bringing in new players, not letting any of our top ones leave.”

McAuley has been in fine form and his performances have been integral to City's run of three clean sheets in a row. And with the transfer window closing tomorrow night, City are relieved to have settled the issue for the rest of the season.

Mandaric, as committed as Holloway to taking things forward, said: “We have finally rejected the offer and Gareth McAuley stays.
“He is a quality player, we are ambitious to get into the Premier League and we need players like him to do that.

“The lad wants to stay here and I have given my manager the green light to discuss a new contract with him.

“We are looking to improve the playing staff right now, looking at going in one direction, upwards, and we need good players for that reason.
“We have had some good results recently, the team is doing well and we want that to continue so that we can climb the table. So we need to keep our best players with us.”

Having repelled a predator, City are still on the look-out themselves and are hopeful that some moves could still be made.

Plymouth's David Norris has featured strongly in speculation but I understand City have not made a bid.

Stop going off topic.
I'd imagine there a few things going on all inter-linked,if we sell Fryatt or Stearman or whoever we will bid for whoever...:102:

So we might sell someone and maybe but someone but perhaps do nothing at all :icon_lol: Have you been talking to Netws? :icon_bigg

So we might sell someone and maybe but someone but perhaps do nothing at all :icon_lol: Have you been talking to Netws? :icon_bigg

I meant we might only put abid in for say Norris if we sell Fryatt or something.There is only a set amount of money MM will shell out IMO and maybe he has reached that amount now.I don't know:102:I don't pretend to know anything

There is only a set amount of money MM will shell out IMO and maybe he has reached that amount now.

Indeed. All those 'left by mutual consent's won't have been for beans - add to that the fees and wages for Howard, Oakley and Hayles and you have some hefty spending.

Indeed. All those 'left by mutual consent's won't have been for beans - add to that the fees and wages for Howard, Oakley and Hayles and you have some hefty spending.

Im sure we have pretty much paid the mutuals up but thats no more out of the wage budget for the year than was already accounted for. I very much doubt we paid them off up front.

Or is it........

http://www.clubfanzine.com/ipswich_town/showNews.php?id=8272

Another Bid for McAuley?
Thursday 31 Jan 2008 11:49:13 by Phil
Town will make a third offer for Leicester City defender Gareth McAuley today, according to reports in Northern Ireland. The Foxes are understood to want £1.5 million for the former Lincoln City man.

The Blues' second bid, which was turned down earlier this week, was is believed to have hit £600,000. Yesterday, Leicester seemed to rule out the Northern Irish international leaving the Walkers Stadium, but Jim Magilton seems determined to see the 28-year-old at the heart of his defence: “We would like someone like Gareth in. There will be movement on the last day, if not him then someone like him.”
Leicester chairman Milan Mandaric says he isn't considering offers for any of his first team players: "We have had a lot of aggressive approaches for some of our players.

"We are turning everything down for the simple reason we are establishing a team with quality players to get out of this division. Any player that will help us will stay with us."

Meanwhile, reports in Wales claim Cardiff have turned down bids from the Blues and Leicester for midfielder Paul Parry. The Welsh international was linked with Town earlier in the month, but the player himself said he wanted to remain with the Bluebirds.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool615
2Manchester C  614
3Arsenal614
4Chelsea613
5Aston Villa512
6Fulham611
7Newcastle611
8Brighton69