Is anybody else worried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingy_85

Let's be honest,

After the slump in form last season we need to start well. Otherwise it's Boo-Boys, Pearson haters and a moan-in overload (guaranteed overnight).

But I'm worried. It's been months since Watford and it still feels fresh. The players don't look full of confidence, there's been no injection of new faces and suddenly "attitude problem" players like SSL & Danns are first team material again.

When I was watching Monaco the side felt stale. It felt awkward. Like hanging out with an ex-girlfriend. I wanted to be "friends" with Vardy but his first touch through on goal reminded me that it will never work between us.

The half time boo's and that sinking optimism? Is anybody else worried?

Our mental fragility will be there for all to see, I even think Pearson knows it.

A run of 2 or three defeats could easily have this lot hiding and reproducing another horror run similar to that of last season.

Frankly, I think we have a handful of decent players, a bunch of average players and a squad of totally inconsistent players.

There will be nothing doing this season.

We haven't played a feckin' league game yet....

As much as some "fans" don't like it, this season they will have a big part to play.
We have to accept where we are as a team and unite.
Whether you like Pearson or not, whether you think Waggy should be in front of Vardy, whether Danns should be nowhere near the first team, we have a lot of restrictions on team selection, all for whatever reasons, and there is not a lot that can be done about it.

We haven't played a feckin' league game yet....

My opinion is not based on the fact we lost in a pre season game.

It's based on past evidence of mental frailty amongst the players and the fact we have now decided to start using players who last season were deemed so shite they were shipped out of the club.

I hope I'm wrong.

Definitely season over by now.

Can't believe Pearson is still here after failing here for 2 full seasons in a row.

From the outside looking in, currently I can't fancy you to do much this year.

That said, it was a similar story for us last season. The nucleus of the team was essentially the same. Teams coming down from the Prem looked strong on paper. I wasn't particularly optomistic.

However, whilst familiarity often breeds contempt, it also builds understanding, anticipation and a deeper appreciation of strengths and weaknesses. I noticed several occasions last year where previous chinks in the defensive armoury were sealed due to better keeper/defender positioning, and tracking back by midfielders.

I also observed far more variety of interpassing in midfield as players 'knew' where their team-mate would be. There was also a greater will to win which seemed to sprout from the group mentality.

I'm not suggesting that you're going to be promoted this year, but don't underestimate the stability factor. Pre-season friendlies are Mickey Mouse (we lost to Brentford last night) so I ignore them in the same way I do the League Cup. You'll know all you need to know this weekend.

And despite what Nige has been reported to say, there's still a month of the transfer window left. I'll be amazed if you don't get some more players in. And there's always the loan market.

Worried? No. The biggest challenge this summer was never going to be recruitment, more a case of ensuring we didn't lose the likes of Schmeichel, Morgan, King, Knockeart, Nugent etc along with trying to lose some of the deadwood from the squad. We've done well in that regard.

This was the youngest squad in the division last season and understandably faded towards the end of the season. However they showed enough promise in the first half of the season to prove we are easily good enough. The hope is that a full season of experience in this division for so many who hadnt had it before will prove beneficial and we will actually be a fair bit better than we were last time around.`

People will argue that the division is harder again this year (as they always do) but I dont really buy it.

Last edited:
Definitely season over by now.

Can't believe Pearson is still here after failing here for 2 full seasons in a row.

Who said anything like that?

The question was simply 'Are you worried' I have given a few reasons as to why I am concerned this season, is this not allowed?

Maybe they've been playing pre-season games in an effort to get them sold or loaned out again.

If that is the case then I imagine we would be struggling for numbers. SSL has played most games in a back 3, who plays if he is sold?

If that is the case then I imagine we would be struggling for numbers. SSL has played most games in a back 3, who plays if he is sold?
I don't really think St ledger was ever deemed not good enough. He has been dogged with injury and we loaned him out to get some match fitness. Though I doubt we'd have turned down a decent offer for him, granted.

What is Pearson meant to do? Theres no room in the budget for replacements unless we can get rid of the higher earners. Given we haven't managed that in the case of St Ledger and Danns is Pearson just meant to leave them as outcasts from an already small squad. Everybody was desperate for him to get Danns back last year, now it looks like he back in the fold people question what he's doing here.

If he's sold we'll have the money to bring in a cheaper replacement.

I can't see any evidence of that, the club has stated numerous times we will not be bringing anyone else in.

Surely the loan market could have been used if Pearson doesn't want to use SSL regardless of whether he stays or not?

I don't really think St ledger was ever deemed not good enough. He has been dogged with injury and we loaned him out to get some match fitness. Though I doubt we'd have turned down a decent offer for him, granted.

What is Pearson meant to do? Theres no room in the budget for replacements unless we can get rid of the higher earners. Given we haven't managed that in the case of St Ledger and Danns is Pearson just meant to leave them as outcasts from an already small squad. Everybody was desperate for him to get Danns back last year, now it looks like he back in the fold people question what he's doing here.

The worry is that he told SSL to find a club, now he's starting all pre season games and seems to be an option, good morale boost for the lad.

Danns was deemed totally out of the picture last season, is he now good enough all of a sudden?

I'm not blaming Pearson but if these players are not good enough one minute what makes anyone think they are good enough now?

As I stated, reasons to be worried, nothing more, nothing less.

If people truly believe we are fecked, then I'd assume they will be laying the blame squarly at the Thai's door as opposed to Pearson? Who's fault is it we've got no budget left to bring in players? Who gave out the silly contracts? Who's dealing with the mess and trying to get rid of them?

If people truly believe we are fecked, then I'd assume they will be laying the blame squarly at the Thai's door as opposed to Pearson? Who's fault is it we've got no budget left to bring in players? Who gave out the silly contracts? Who's dealing with the mess and trying to get rid of them?

I never said we are fecked? This was never a Pearson out comment either.

The club is screwed, we have no money to improve any aspect of a thin squad whereas the likes of Forest are buying and putting bids in for decent players left right and centre.

Neville should be out of a job.

Im not worried but the likes of Wood Knockaert and even Marshall need to recapture thier first half last season form, if they can and we can adapt to our plan B (3-5-2) then maybe we dont need many new players. I was of the opinion early last season that we just needed 2 or 3 players but then Wood was on song as were Knocky and Marshall, unfortunately that trio fell off form, the sides confidence collapsed and the emergence of James was the only bright point. If the team can play like they did early on last season, and we manage to offload the remaining high earning deadwood, we may still be able to bring in 2/3 players to help us. Not worried yet far from optomistic

I walked away from the game last night a little worried...

I expected better performances against Monaco and Northampton but as some people say these games maybe count for little...

I understand FFP but find it strange that we used what little cash we have on a third choice left back...

I think we need a Plan B but not sure we have the personnel to execute 3-5-2...

I'm intrigues to see if we re-integrate SSL and Danns back into the squad successfully as their experience would be a reall boost - I'm sure SSL finished the game as captain...

I'm pretty sure Vardy and Waggy aren't good enough and really hope Schlupp is prefered to them - I don't think this will be the case...

Overall though we need a strong start - Watford and the dismal run last year must still play a major part in the teams thoughts - if we get a few early wins though the players we have of real potential could really kick in and improve way beyond what the current general perception is - for me those players are Knocky, James, Wood and Schlupp...
If not we could be in trouble...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670