It's MIKE NEWELL

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Skysports

Luton's Mike Newell will not be the new Leicester boss according to his chairman Bill Tomlins.

The Hatters manager has been strongly linked to the vacancy at The Walkers Stadium, with some reports even going so far as to say he is preparing to walk out of Kenilworth Road.

Newell recently fuelled speculation that he is unsettled at Kenilworth Road by launching a broadside at the club's board of directors, claiming that they had reneged on their promises to relocate to a new stadium.

But Tomlins insists Newell is going nowhere, saying: "We have had no official approach from Leicester. I can understand why there is speculation but I do not want to lose him.

"Mike is a former Leicester player but he is very happy at Luton and we have a very good relationship.

"He is a very good manager and we are 100 percent committed to hanging onto him. There may come a time when Mike moves on but I imagine it would be to a club in a higher league."

lcfcrules said:
From Skysports

Luton's Mike Newell will not be the new Leicester boss according to his chairman Bill Tomlins.

The Hatters manager has been strongly linked to the vacancy at The Walkers Stadium, with some reports even going so far as to say he is preparing to walk out of Kenilworth Road.

Newell recently fuelled speculation that he is unsettled at Kenilworth Road by launching a broadside at the club's board of directors, claiming that they had reneged on their promises to relocate to a new stadium.

But Tomlins insists Newell is going nowhere, saying: "We have had no official approach from Leicester. I can understand why there is speculation but I do not want to lose him.

"Mike is a former Leicester player but he is very happy at Luton and we have a very good relationship.

"He is a very good manager and we are 100 percent committed to hanging onto him. There may come a time when Mike moves on but I imagine it would be to a club in a higher league."
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!

I'd seriously want Rob Kelly to carry on til the end of the season rather than install monkey head or Bassett again. I know you can't go on 1 result but he knows the players and knows what they're capable of. We haven't got time for tinkering. The only problem is that the point of offloading Dublin and De Vries was to free up some cash for a new manager to make a couple of loan signings, and I doubt they're are gonna free up that cash for Rob Kelly to use. So it's a new manager now and soon if we are to plug the holes and stop the rot. QPR are an ok side but to let the biggest man on the pitch stroll into the penalty box and nod in at the far post shows we really need a Matt Elliott figure. A strong, marshalling man-mountain who can mop up the high balls.

lcfcrules said:
From Skysports

Well he would say that wouldn't he ? The fact that he's said this does neither back up nor throw in doubt RN's prediction IMO

Treebeard said:
I'd seriously want Rob Kelly to carry on til the end of the season rather than install monkey head or Bassett again. I know you can't go on 1 result but he knows the players and knows what they're capable of. We haven't got time for tinkering. The only problem is that the point of offloading Dublin and De Vries was to free up some cash for a new manager to make a couple of loan signings, and I doubt they're are gonna free up that cash for Rob Kelly to use. So it's a new manager now and soon if we are to plug the holes and stop the rot. QPR are an ok side but to let the biggest man on the pitch stroll into the penalty box and nod in at the far post shows we really need a Matt Elliott figure. A strong, marshalling man-mountain who can mop up the high balls.
rob kelly is a coach not a manager.

highland fox said:
Well he would say that wouldn't he ? The fact that he's said this does neither back up nor throw in doubt RN's prediction IMO

Urm.....I think it does. He wouldnt say it for sh!ts and giggles now would he?

he'd say it to cover himself just incase MN was leaving but there was a glitch and he ended up staying. no egg on face this way. im not saying i think he's coming just merley pointing out why he would say it :)

CardiffFox said:
Urm.....I think it does. He wouldnt say it for sh!ts and giggles now would he?

But he's not going to say 'Mike's available come and get him' is he ? He's said it in response to the rumours etc.Its exactly what I'd expect any Chairman to say who doesn't want to lose their Manager.IF Newell wants the job badly enough he will come here

Last edited:
fleckneyfox said:
rob kelly is a coach not a manager.

Billy Davies at Preston was an assistant before he became manager, but i'd say that he's done more than alright getting them to the play-off final last year, and they look good for the play-offs this year. Why couldn't Rob Kelly have the potential to be a good manager?

The Stearmanator said:
Billy Davies at Preston was an assistant before he became manager, but i'd say that he's done more than alright getting them to the play-off final last year, and they look good for the play-offs this year. Why couldn't Rob Kelly have the potential to be a good manager?

he could, but with our 'tight' financial situation we are not an ideal 'sandpit' for a new manager to learn the financial workings of a football club. I'm sure preston were very reserved with the budgits they gave him early on, but Leicester don't want to wait for success while the manager learns the ropes.

The Stearmanator said:

As I understand it Kelly doesn't want or isn't that keen on becoming Manager and sees himself as a Coach.I think he just wants assurances that he will remain Coach when a Manager is finally appointed.Unless he's said otherwise since Tuesday night.

highland fox said:
As I understand it Kelly doesn't want or isn't that keen on becoming Manager and sees himself as a Coach.I think he just wants assurances that he will remain Coach when a Manager is finally appointed.Unless he's said otherwise since Tuesday night.

in the interview after QPR the commentator said "Does your cause no harm" he Replied: "It's not about me"

I Don't know how to take that, it doesn't rule out him wanting the job.

I Think sometimes you can tell yourself you don't want things if you don't believe its posible to get them. If he were offered the job it might change his thinking.

Also, i mentioned before about Keegan and the England job, it was only temporary until he won and realised 'hey i'm good at this!'

highland fox said:

But i don't think it would be the worst thing in the world if he was appointed manager until the end of the season, after all theres a fine line between being a good coach and a good manager, the main difference being a manager is involved with transfers. Craig Levein was a fairly good manager (in terms of buying and selling players, keeping to budget etc), but he couldnt motivate his team, whereas Peter Ta***r is supposedly a good coach (eng-21, done fairly well at Hull), but was useless as a manager when given lots of money to spend) Plus i honestly don't see a better person for the job who is realistically available

apparently heart have just said something about us and newell i didnt hear it though-birtles reckons he is on his away within the next couple of days:icon_roll

drummindefender said:
apparently heart have just said something about us and newell i didnt hear it though-birtles reckons he is on his away within the next couple of days:icon_roll

Birtles said that he'd heard 'from a good source' that Newell would be coming to us.

Feriol said:
in the interview after QPR the commentator said "Does your cause no harm" he Replied: "It's not about me"

I Don't know how to take that

I'm pretty sure he means the win is for the club not for him. If you know what I mean!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00