Jamie Carragher's book

Status
Not open for further replies.
When was the last time Nantes or Hamburg got to The Champions League final?

If these players were better than Defoe or Heskey they'd probably be at Wigan or Portsmouth that's my whole point - our players are good enough to be competitive with any team in the world.

Germany have the likes of Huth and Hitzelsperger in their squad - they didn't make it in the top half of The Prem but they play well for their country at the very highest level - ask yourself why or read Carragher's book....

But Nantes or Hamburg have nowhere near the financial power Man Utd or Chelsea have.Croatia have Modric,Kranckjar and when fit the Arsenal guy whose name escapes me.I'd put us on a par with Croatia

But Nantes or Hamburg have nowhere near the financial power Man Utd or Chelsea have.Croatia have Modric,Kranckjar and when fit the Arsenal guy whose name escapes me.I'd put us on a par with Croatia

So their best players with the exception of Da Silva play for the same clubs that the players you say aren't good enough for England i.e Defoe etc!

Therefore the fact that we have Gerrard from Liverpool plus 10 or so from Chelsea and Man Utd should make us far and away better than Croatia then????

NGotty plays for the same team as Hobbs/Oakley/whoever. Does that make him as good?
Really don't understand your argument. You think the Prem is the best league, if right, that's because of all the foreigners that the prem money brings in not because the English players are the best in the world, in fact a lot of the "English" players in the top teams are fillers for the top foreigners.

a few years ago the Spanish league ws acknowledged to be the best league in the world and their national team won FA. They must've been quitters too.

NGotty plays for the same team as Hobbs/Oakley/whoever. Does that make him as good?
Really don't understand your argument. You think the Prem is the best league, if right, that's because of all the foreigners that the prem money brings in not because the English players are the best in the world, in fact a lot of the "English" players in the top teams are fillers for the top foreigners.

a few years ago the Spanish league ws acknowledged to be the best league in the world and their national team won FA cups. They must've been quitters too.

that cant be right.:icon_wink

So their best players with the exception of Da Silva play for the same clubs that the players you say aren't good enough for England i.e Defoe etc!

Therefore the fact that we have Gerrard from Liverpool plus 10 or so from Chelsea and Man Utd should make us far and away better than Croatia then????

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.Just because you play for Man Utd,Chelsea,Arsenal or Liverpool doesn't automatically make you a Top Class International.Like I said we may have 5 Top Class players but they are complimented by some distinctly average players.We will never agree I just think people expect England to be winning World Cups etc whilst In my eyes the truth is we are alongside the Romanias and Bulgarias now

But say another country what possess 5+ world class players. You'd be struggling except possibly Spain.

Brazil,Argentina and possibly Holland.
I'm not saying we shouldn't qualify for Finals but to expect us to win things is in my eyes being over ambitious.We usually qualify for Finals and it was only because we had a terrible Manager that we didn't qualify for Euro 2008
I will now put a sock in it because I'm boring myself harping on

Last edited:
I think England would do well if they chose a system and picked the players to suit it rather than trying to cram egos and reputations into a team.

But say another country what possess 5+ world class players. You'd be struggling except possibly Spain.

You are not seriously saying that England has more world class players than any other country apart from Spain are you :081::081::081::081:

Italy, France, Germany, Portugal, Croatia .... the list of teams with more top players in Europe would go on, before we even look over to South America.

No doubt we will put on a show tomorrow and stir up some interest for Wednesday's game.

I still haven't decided if I can be arsed even watching tomorrow. I hate to be a glory boy but when England are winning and playing well everything is wonderful, if they are not then things go down hill very quickly. I agree that much with Carragher.

Still I think it is very arrogant for him to say it wasn't a pleasure to pull on an England shirt.

I think he should be shot.

I think he should be shot.

Indeed and his corpse be dragged around the Perimeter of the Pitch at Half Time in the next England home match for the crowd to stone.Maybe be then he will think twice before dissing his nation

Last edited:
Indeed and his corpse be dragged around the Perimeter of the Pitch at Half Time in the next England home match for the crowd to stone.Maybe be then he will think twice before dissing his nation

Sounds reasonable

You are not seriously saying that England has more world class players than any other country apart from Spain are you :081::081::081::081:.

What I am saying is name another team with equal or over 5 world class players. Name the 5 with the examples given by yourself.

Spain have Casillas, Ramos, Fabergas, Torres, Villa, Xavi. Then a fair few players in the good region.

Croats probably have just Modric in that category.

France - we have Henry, Evra, possibly Gallas. Outside of that?

Germany - Ballack, Klose, Podolski, Lahm. Possibly Frings

Portugal - Ronaldo and Deco. After that you are struggling....

HF's suggestions were more like but you wouldn't say Brazil's defence is world class (infact their team at all during Dunga's reign), Argentina's midfield creative or Holland possessing the mental strength but they do clearly possess the players all three teams.

No-one expects us to win the thing, what people expect is a quarter-finals at the very least and then some hard work when we are there. That's the attitude factor - the tame backing down against Portugal years before or the penalty lossess just aren't good enough. Making the opposition work like we did in 1990 or 1996 is more acceptable.

Carragher = C*nt.

....and I've not just formed that opinion on what he's written in his book - not read one snippet of it & wouldn't even contemplate clicking one of the attachments here to see what he's said.

Is that not the Managers job to make the team work hard etc and if you read more of Carraghers book you'll realise that SGE wasn't one for demanding workrate from his team

Last edited:
Carragher himself I just think he's an often dirty, average defender really who makes his name playing in the slower European games. He's been shown up a few times in the Premier League.

He was a bit of prick throwing that penny at an Arsenal fan too but considering what comes out of the majority of football fans' mouths it's semi-justified.

I have no malice with the chap in particular.

Last edited:
Is that not the Managers job to make the team work hard etc and if you read more of Carraghers book you'll realise that SGE wasn't one for demanding workrate from his team

I am personally of the opinion that at international level, the chap in charge shouldn't do much managing. More tactician work IMO and the players should dig in where required.

I'd say Ribery is their best player and Nasri looks a very good player but I get your point

Forgot Ribery, he's an incredible player. Nasri looks good but he's got prove himself. There's a lot of players in that bracket in them teams, good but not proven.

We can say that Gerrard can prove himself at the highest level. We can say Terry and Lampard are capable of winning the world best league. The same came be said of Manchester Utd's English lads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669