January Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
SJN-Fox said:
From The Mirror ...

Wigan boss Roberto Martinez is ready to offer £3million for Leicester striker Matty Fryatt.

Martinez is set to test the resolve of Foxes chairman Milan Mandaric this month with a bid for his old Walsall team-mate.

Fryatt is Leicester’s leading scorer again this season with 12 goals and the Latics are desperate to bring in more firepower to boost their relegation scrap.

Wolves are also long-term admirers of the 23-year-old but Wigan are prepared to make the first move with a firm offer.

Similar story in NOTW

ROBERTO MARTINEZ intends to offer Leicester £3million for old pal Matty Fryatt.

Wigan chief Martinez knows the striker, 23, from their time together at Walsall a few years ago.

Fryatt scored 32 goals last season as the Foxes won promotion to the Championship and is top scorer again this term with 12 so far.

Wolves are also keen on him but City boss Nigel Pearson sees Fryatt as vital to their promotion push.

Sunderland were previously credited with an interest in the promising attacker

Last edited:
Fryatt could well leave if someone offers silly money ie 4-5million. Mandy isn't silly i don't think and will look at the maths. We're not above being a selling club and are still not making money hand over fist. 4-5million is a tenth of what we would make from getting into the premier league and so is really tempting when we have a 1 in 10 chance of getting into the playoffs/automatic spots on current form.
If we took Jason Scotland or signed a promising player as a replacement it would be very similar to when we sold Paul Kitson - received Gee and Ormondoryd and still ended up achieving promotion quite quickly.
I don't want Fryatt to go as he is coming on leaps and bounds (class against sheff utd) - but i don't think it would necessarily be the end of the world.

Last edited:
Whilst we are still in a play-off position and the chance of going up is possible he would be mad to let him go for less than £5m, I'd hope given our league position he would tell Wigan to feck off anyhoo...as we might well be playing them next season.(whether we go up or they come down.....)

And wave goodbye to a decent shot at promotion.

He might not score enough goals at this level, but he scores more than our other players and without him we will fall to midtable quite quickly.

I think we would be shooting ourselves in the foot if we let him go for such a paltry amount, especially when Prem clubs have a lot more money than that to spend on a striker.

I dont think £3m is a paltry amount for a Championship striker. But I'd like him to stay too. And find someone potent to partner him.

if fryatt goes i'd like to think we'd get a minimum of 5 million. I hope he doesn't go because i really don't think we could replace him.

I wouldn't take £5m

He is our top goalscorer and top assist maker by quite a way, just see the Bristol City match to see how lacklustre we are without him.

He is a very key part, if not the key part to a chance of promotion, and in that case he would be worth £60m to us, not £5m.

What is the record transfer for a Championship player going into the
Premiership? £5m seems a lot. Depends on the player I suppose. What would Steve Bull be worth in today's market after his 1989/90 season, he was taken to the World Cup!!

Andy King said it himself after the match : " Matty is top quality, other teams stick 2-3 men on him sometimes just to keep him quiet and that opens up space for the players around him to punish teams"

Fryatt would be a flop in the Prem and we would miss out on the playoffs, nobody wins !

I don't know why people are so sure of this. Many said he would be a flop in the Championship and he has proved those doubters wrong. Plus, he's still only 23 so he has several years to develop into a better player than his current status.

Remember Lineker never really broke into the Leicester side until he was 22, and that was only due to dropping down a division in the same way Fryatt has.

Biggest laugh so far, back of todays Mail on Sunday - Heskey to Chelsea :icon_lol:

Fryatt is one of the most improved players I've seen, his overall game now is very good. Strong, decent in the air, can turn on a sixpence and he's no slouch either - he's certainly gotten quicker since his weight loss. He's also one of the best finishers in the league. If we sell him we better find a worthy replacement because none of the other strikers we have can do what he can.

Fryatt is one of the most improved players I've seen, his overall game now is very good. Strong, decent in the air, can turn on a sixpence and he's no slouch either - he's certainly gotten quicker since his weight loss. He's also one of the best finishers in the league. If we sell him we better find a worthy replacement because none of the other strikers we have can do what he can.

Agree totally and that's why I don't see why people are so sure a 23 year old who has shown he has developed so well and quickly over the past 18 months, will not be good enough for the Premier League.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool615
2Manchester C  614
3Arsenal614
4Chelsea613
5Aston Villa613
6Fulham611
7Newcastle611
8Tottenham 610
9Brighton69