John Sjoberg R.I.P

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a golden era & we have seen nothing similar since, much though Martin's passionate team restored the sense of pride started by Brian Little. Some of the stuff we saw in the 70's was sublime . I agree with your comments about Ian King, he is in my all time dream team ( Sjoberg on the bench ) alongside Cross . For me great though the Jimmy era was, the 1963 City side is the best I have ever seen. I chatted to Howard Riley & Ritchie Norman a couple of years ago, & they thought IF we had beaten Man U in 63 final we could have done what Liverpool did in the 60's .

You appear to be of my vintage, would be fascinated to know your all time dream team.

It was a golden era & we have seen nothing similar since, much though Martin's passionate team restored the sense of pride started by Brian Little. Some of the stuff we saw in the 70's was sublime . I agree with your comments about Ian King, he is in my all time dream team ( Sjoberg on the bench ) alongside Cross . For me great though the Jimmy era was, the 1963 City side is the best I have ever seen. I chatted to Howard Riley & Ritchie Norman a couple of years ago, & they thought IF we had beaten Man U in 63 final we could have done what Liverpool did in the 60's .

You appear to be of my vintage, would be fascinated to know your all time dream team.

Ah Howard Riley - it's not that so long since that he was still playing locally....at cricket!

The thing about the 1963 FA Cup final is that we were actually the bookies favourites to beat Man U. I would say that the 1962/63 side was quite definitely the best post war City side - after all and quite unbelievably today we were seen as genuine championship contenders - a position never achieved by O'Neill. You will recall that they were not as attractive a side as the Bloomfield teams, but were based on an outstanding defence that was known in the press as "the blue curtain".

There is another thread around on best all time teams - and I entered mine there. But going back to that era and a bit before I omitted Mal Griffiths (a classic winger) for Weller. As you know doubt know Howard Riley succeded Griffiths on the right wing and going a bit before that still,I omitted the very talented Don Revie (a very young captain in the 48/49 season) on the grounds that I never actually saw him play for Leicester.

Hi Redditch Fox,

Didn't know HR was also a cricketer , nice guy on couple of occasions I have met him . Remember watching Grahanm Cross play for Leics on more than a few occasions.

Fans of more recent generations would not believe we actually were red hot favourites to beat United ( Charlton, Law et al ) in any game let alone an FA Cup Final, or indeed that Alan Clarke turned European Cup holders United down to join City for a Britsh transfer record fee in 1968 !!! I'm sure none of those three events will ever be repeated.

I know the City side of 63 was not generally as attractive as Jimmy's sides but I think they are the best team I have seen for turning all out defence to all attack in just 2/3 passes usually involving Davie Gibson & their cuonter attacking style often had 3/4 City players bursting through the opposition half outnumbering the covering defenders as their team had been sucked forward.

Will check your best team ( I'm only a new recruit to this site) oth the trhead you mentioned. Mine is only based on players I have seen play for us since 1961. I could argue about the subs forever !

Banks. Rodrigues, King, Cross, Nish.Weller,McLintock,Gibson, Glover.
Worthington,Lineker.

Hi Redditch Fox,

Didn't know HR was also a cricketer , nice guy on couple of occasions I have met him . Remember watching Grahanm Cross play for Leics on more than a few occasions.

Fans of more recent generations would not believe we actually were red hot favourites to beat United ( Charlton, Law et al ) in any game let alone an FA Cup Final, or indeed that Alan Clarke turned European Cup holders United down to join City for a Britsh transfer record fee in 1968 !!! I'm sure none of those three events will ever be repeated.

I know the City side of 63 was not generally as attractive as Jimmy's sides but I think they are the best team I have seen for turning all out defence to all attack in just 2/3 passes usually involving Davie Gibson & their cuonter attacking style often had 3/4 City players bursting through the opposition half outnumbering the covering defenders as their team had been sucked forward.

Will check your best team ( I'm only a new recruit to this site) oth the trhead you mentioned. Mine is only based on players I have seen play for us since 1961. I could argue about the subs forever !

Banks. Rodrigues, King, Cross, Nish.Weller,McLintock,Gibson, Glover.
Worthington,Lineker.

Why was there no mention of the death of Sjoberg? The club ought to be ashamed of themselves. Not even an armband. Our club become bigger wankers day by day.

Why was there no mention of the death of Sjoberg? The club ought to be ashamed of themselves. Not even an armband. Our club become bigger wankers day by day.

Apparently something is going to be done at a forthcoming match when members of his family can be present. I was wondering why there could not have been just a mention of his passing last night, but I suppose that would have left people wondering why there had not been a minutes silence (or the currently more popular minute of appreciation).

I was wondering why there could not have been just a mention of his passing last night

Obvious innit, the main man was away on a freebie and nobody else can do tributes like Birch.

Totally agree, I know Birch is in Goa but something should have been done or said. He did play in 2 major cup finals for us & would have played in FA Cup Final 1969 apart from injury. maybe the past doesn't matter anymore ( far more glorious than the last few years). I thought the best thing about the Walkers was the respect they appeared to pay to previous greats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently something is going to be done at a forthcoming match when members of his family can be present. I was wondering why there could not have been just a mention of his passing last night, but I suppose that would have left people wondering why there had not been a minutes silence (or the currently more popular minute of appreciation).

Totally agree, I know Birch is in Goa but something should have been done or said. He did play in 2 major cup finals for us & would have played in FA Cup Final 1969 apart from injury. maybe the past doesn't matter anymore ( far more glorious than the last few years). I thought the best thing about the Walkers was the respect they appeared to pay to previous greats.

Boc, sometimes do you get the feeling that you're talking to yourself and nobody is listening?

Boc?

Too little too late. The club can fcuk themselves over this. I think it is appalling for how long they have left it to do this.
If is was because Birchanell was away the fcuk him too.

I could be wrong, but wasn't it the family's wish for the tribute to be this weekend?

I could be wrong, but wasn't it the family's wish for the tribute to be this weekend?

I think that may be true but I still think it could have been mentioned, even if only to announce his death and to say that 'act of appreciation' will take place later when members of his family can be present.

I was told that his son was away on holiday last week and this was the first home game he could attend.

I would just like to say you can be sure that the travelling Gasheads will respect the minute's applause/silence impeccibly.

R.I.P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670