John Sjoberg R.I.P

Status
Not open for further replies.
0,,10274%7E4071159,00.jpg

Birch Remembers Sjoberg

Posted on: Fri 03 Oct 2008
Club Ambassador Alan Birchenall has paid tribute to former team-mate John Sjoberg, who sadly passed away last night, aged 67.

Sjoberg was a stalwart City defender from 1958 to 1973 and formed a formidable partnership with Graham Cross at the heart of the Foxes defence.

Birch played with Sjoberg for two seasons after arriving from Crystal Palace and fondly remembers his "hard as nails" approach to the game.

He said: "John, or the 'Swede', as we used to call him, was a stalwart alongside Graham Cross at centre-half when I arrived and he really was as hard as nails.

"He was quite a quiet lad off the field and was a real family man but on it, he was very hard but fair and would never shirk out of a tackle.

"He gave his all for this club and will be sadly missed by everyone connected with the club especially the Bloomfield Boys."

Sjoberg, a member of the Past Players' Association, had been a regular visitor on a matchday to the Walkers Stadium up until recently.

"John always had a smile on his face and was always very keen to know what was going on behind the scenes," added Birch.

"I am totally shocked and my heart goes out to his wife Cynthia and his family and friends during this difficult time.

One of my first hero's RIP

And mine dpj. Particularly sad. When i was about 8, my Dad bought our first car after passing his test. It was previously owned by John and had loads of LCFC stickers in the windows. I used to just go and sit in it and couldn't believe one of my heroes had actually driven it. Hillman Minx in 2 tone green. Wouldn't happen today would it.
Condolences to the family. RIP.

I was privileged to have seen him play.

RIP

I can only echo the thoughts made by others. I think the word 'stalwart' (sp) applies to John

John was a fine player for season after season. I hope that the armband will be for the next home match and that there will be a minutes silence. As Birch said he was a real hard player. In days when referees allowed far more contact than they do today and centreforwards could put themselves about (including The Birch) John Sjoberg managed to contain somke of the best. Thank you for the memories John and all the rest of the Bloomfield boys.

Coming from a family with no Leicester City supporting background, and me not giving a monkey's about the history of the club, I don't know much about the man/player.

But blimey, he seems to have had a big impact on the older generation of City supporters.

R.I.P. John. I saw him partner Cross for three seasons - alegendary partnership for City

Thanks for the memories, John. A legend in his own time and still with us oldies. Met the bloke once, a true gent.
Condolences to his family. R.I.P.

Coming from a family with no Leicester City supporting background, and me not giving a monkey's about the history of the club, I don't know much about the man/player.

But blimey, he seems to have had a big impact on the older generation of City supporters.

I think the memory of the Bloomfield team has become more important because of the poor performances in the last few seasons. They could never compete witht the Liverpools and Arsenals over a season but were quite capable of beating them on occasion. The other great Leicester team of the O'Neill era were "grinders" and were arguably a more effective team. The Bloomfield team played with such flair. Every football fan in the country knew that Weller and Worthington were brilliant players and that Shilton was quite simply one of the world's best ever goalkeepers. We have had fine players since (Lennon, Izzett, Walsh) but IMO only Gary Linker can be compared to those three.

Never saw Sjöberg at his peak but remember his latter days at City and went to his testimonial against Derby which drew a great crowd circa 25,000.

In Swedish Sjöberg means 'Lake Mountain' a fitting name for such a calm, commanding yet granite hard presence in some of the greatest City teams ever...

RIP John. Today's result was for you big man.

Sad news indeed. My thoughts are with his family.

Never saw Sjöberg at his peak but remember his latter days at City and went to his testimonial against Derby which drew a great crowd circa 25,000.

In Swedish Sjöberg means 'Lake Mountain' a fitting name for such a calm, commanding yet granite hard presence in some of the greatest City teams ever...

RIP John. Today's result was for you big man.

Sjobergs testimonial against Derby, where we also got to lift the 2nd Division championship trophy, after walking it that season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669