John Terry not guilty

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't mean that it shouldn't have gone to court though.

What did going to court achieve that not taking it to court wouldn't have?

What did going to court achieve that not taking it to court wouldn't have?

It gave a verdict and put an end to it? It also highlighted the abhorrent things that Terry said and even the ridiculously over the top thongs Ferdinand did to wind him up. Let's not forget that even though he has been found innocent, he still admitted using the racist language that brought the case about.

But even I'd you consider this case a waste of time, to avoid taking any case to court in case the verdict doesn't fit your preference is ridiculous.

Last edited:
It gave a verdict and put an end to it? It also highlighted the abhorrent things that Terry said and even the ridiculously over the top thongs Ferdinand did to wind him up. Let's not forget that even though he has been found innocent, he still admitted using the racist language that brought the case about.

But even I'd you consider this case a waste of time, to avoid taking any case to court in case the verdict doesn't fit your preference is ridiculous.

They didn't say he was innocent, they said not guilty. Big difference.

"It is therefore possible that what he [Mr Terry] said was not intended as an insult, but rather as a challenge to what he believed had been said to him.
"In those circumstances, there being a doubt, the only verdict the court can record is one of not guilty."

I think two weeks is the maximum a club can fine. FA can do more I believe.

I can't see the FA having the balls to say he's guilty when the court says he isn't though?Disappointed, but not surprised, he's got away with it. The judge seemed to say that the defence had cast just enough doubt that he couldn't be found guilty. He said that nobody could prove Terry was lying. I hoped they'd give a guilty verdict to send a bit of a message.... instead I think it sends a very wrong message.

There goes Rio's England career...

Indeed, this would be most unlikely surely. Since when was the FA a higher authority than the judicial system. Can't understand why it's even being contemplated.

I can't see the FA having the balls to say he's guilty when the court says he isn't though?

Remember though that there is lesser burden of proof when the FA hear the case. They can decide the matter on the balance of probabilities rather than the more exacting beyond-reasonable-doubt standard that applies in a criminal court.

Pathetic. A 5 day court case for a bit of name calling. What a stupid waste of money.

"It's just a bit of handbags innit m'lord"

Terry might feel he has got away with it, I think what is perhaps important is that this high profile case highlights that people can't go around calling each other F***ing black c***s.

"It's just a bit of handbags innit m'lord"

Terry might feel he has got away with it, I think what is perhaps important is that this high profile case highlights that people can't go around calling each other F***ing black c***s.

How does it do that? Terry did it and wasn't punished for it.

Last edited:
The court case evidence just confirmed how incredibly confrontational the game is - and that the Sky packaging is just that...packaging. The FA and the Premier League too are both well into tryiing to delude people with the Respect campaign and the nonsense of players shaking hands before the Kick off and start of the extreme and targeted abuse that will gain the most effect. This reflects of course a lot of the behaviour and language of many fans. Some of us accept this is all part and parcel of the game and its not easy to see it disappearing. Since the middle classes families took over many of the seats - because many working class folk can't afford Premier League (and some other) prices, the behaviour/ language has moderated e.g. since the 80's. The biggest losers in this sorry affair are the football industry image makers.

Ashley Cole was asked in court what he felt about being so closely associated to an alleged racist.

"It's OK" he replied "we're divorced now"

Will JT now sue AF for defamation of character?

John Terry has come out of this very damaged.

Enough was acknowledged about behaviour in court evidence to make him damaged goods as a product for marketing purposes.

It's now going to be interested as to how the FA proceed. It seems to me that there is more than a prima facie case that both he and Anton ferdinand have brought the game into disrepute.

In any case as Boc has pointed out any tribunal will work on the basis of 'probability' not the much less easy to establish ' beyond all reasonable doubt'.

The only good is that the FA and the Premier League might be forced to acknowledge the reality of the existence unacceptable behaviour and the PFA also has a lot to think about.

:)

It's inconvenienced and upset a bunch of over-paid, arrogant arseholes - money well spent in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566