Jordan Stewart

Status
Not open for further replies.
step said:
In the front few rows there are a lot of city fans that slag of the players during a match, particularly Jordan, Even when he is playing well there are dozens of fans that swear at Stewart, call him all the names under the sun, make hand jesters to him, all are things that are bound to distract any player and de-motive him.

I don’t think any of us believe that a player goes out on the pitch with the intention of playing badly. Most try to achieve results, I agree that some try more than others, but Stewart does give 110%, even if he is having a bad day, he still tries hard and does not deserve the abuse he gets.

You don’t encourage anyone to achieve by putting them down, you do it by building their confidence through emphasis on the positive good things they achieve and once their confidence grows they will try again.
For those that sit at the front rows having a go at the players, just once, try to be positive. When steward runs down the wing skins 2-3 players and then does a crap cross. Don’t slag him off.

Tell him what a good run it was. Say to him "Well done Stewart" or "Hard luck Jordan" and then watch him try it again. Slag him off and he won’t try. It is simple human psychology.

Ask any manager, in and field. If you want stop someone performing, tell them how crap they are.

Gillespie is the prime example, I have heard (from someone I trust) that Cork gave our Keith I right good putting down nearly every training session 'your crap this and your crap that', I have'nt got a clue what he expected him to do after that, but we all saw what he did :(
CL has come in and obviously encoraged him and as Keith has said himself, he has been told to take players on and not worry too much what the outcome is of every run, but you are bound to get some success.
Also heard the same sort of story about Stef Oakes and PT, when he first started playing I really thought he had good potential, not the greatest, but we had seen worse. I seem to remember suddenly he seemed liked he could'nt even kick a ball? This was the result of a meeting with PT telling him he would never make it big time and he was'nt really any good. What does PT do, puts him in the starting 11 the very next game :-?
(BTW did you see his goal for Notts last night? just inside the half way line in 'Beckham esk' style.)

Clearly, this kind of reverse physcology motivation is a dangerous game to play by the MANAGEMENT team. Players do need feel that their manager has confidence in them and I can imagine that it can only be demoralising if the team manager tells you that your crap.

However, my point was that the fans are entitled to tell players during matches that they are having a bad game or doing something wrong.

This is not to say that fans should victimise players and have a go at them, even if they are playing well, just because you don't like them.

Personally I think Jordan is what he is. He is quick, skilful and gives his all but he does make mistakes and lacks a bit of quality when going forward. He's not the best player we've got, but he ain't the worst and I don't agree with the consensus that he's not good enough.

No one was moaning about Jordan when Rogers was in the team, all the hatred was directed at him. Now Roger's has gone, people direct their attention to whoever they perceive as being the weak link in the team.

And let's be fair, these players are quite happy to accept the adulation when they do something good, so they should fully expect to be berated when they fall short of what is required.

RichMC24 said:
Clearly, this kind of reverse physcology motivation is a dangerous game to play by the MANAGEMENT team. Players do need feel that their manager has confidence in them and I can imagine that it can only be demoralising if the team manager tells you that your crap.

And let's be fair, these players are quite happy to accept the adulation when they do something good, so they should fully expect to be berated when they fall short of what is required.

MON was the master at judging what to say to players to motivate them, he constantly told savage he no football ability at all and was only there to run around. This often resulted in sav scoring a freekick or two to prove him wrong. He also knew that other players that had more fragile confidence needed the preverbial 'arm round the shoulder' treatment. I think CL is just about getting it right by boosting gillespie's and stewart's confidence and therefore thier performance. However with this sort of player it is just as imperitive for the fans to support them in the same way. So although many feel that it is thier right as paying customers to barrack the players for poor performances im sure it is detrimental to the way they play.

alex said:
Peter Taylor tried that technique with Marshall and Lewis.

The point i was making was to do with maximising a players potential, unfortunatly these two never really had any!

Lboro fox said:
alex said:
Peter Taylor tried that technique with Marshall and Lewis.

The point i was making was to do with maximising a players potential, unfortunatly these two never really had any!

They were awful weren't they? Cannot believe Megson took Marshall to the Hawthorns...

Anyone see Delaney score an OG for Hull City the other week? Wasn't he the greatest player we were ever going to see at one time?

webmaster said:
Lboro fox said:
This often resulted in sav scoring a freekick or two to prove him wrong.

Can't remember Savage ever scoring a free kick for us.
I think Savage was behind Izzet, Guppy, Parker. Lennon, Oakes etc when it came to taking free kicks.

Im fairly sure he has scored a few, if not then definatly scored some 25 yarders for us.

I remember his goal at filbo and his momentum took him right into the kop, west ham i think, good days

Saying that though id like it if he had to jump in there now as im sure hed get a kick or two!

Lboro fox said:
webmaster said:
Lboro fox said:

I think Savage was behind Izzet, Guppy, Parker. Lennon, Oakes etc when it came to taking free kicks.

Im fairly sure he has scored a few, if not then definatly scored some 25 yarders for us.

He only scored 9 goals for us. Some of them were from long range, but I can't remember any free kicks.
I know 6 of them definitely weren't free kicks. The only ones I can't confirm were the goals against Northampton in the cup, Wimbledon in the league in March 98, and against Villa in April 99. Can anyone remember those goals?

webmaster said:
Lboro fox said:
webmaster said:
Lboro fox said:

He only scored 9 goals for us. Some of them were from long range, but I can't remember any free kicks.
I know 6 of them definitely weren't free kicks. The only ones I can't confirm were the goals against Northampton in the cup, Wimbledon in the league in March 98, and against Villa in April 99. Can anyone remember those goals?

There are 4 of his on lcfc world one against man city was a long ranger, maybe i am getting confused with ones he scored for b'ham. All the bull he's spouting now about not really being happy at city looks pathetic when you look at his celebrations.

Leigh said:
Well it looks like Jordan is back now anyway :)

Well done on your first win in the super league Leigh.

:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670