Leeds 1 Leicester 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedfoxxx

I was out and about when my old man text me the result. Made a great night even better, ****ing lovely!

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
From a Leeds forum...

We started the match playing 4-4-2 and it quickly became apparent that it wasn't working. Leicester set up as a 4-2-3-1, with Wellens and Oakley holding the midfield and King in the free role behind the striker Waghorn and Moussa/Gallagher on the wings, like this...

-----------Oakley-Wellens----------
Gallagher------King---------Moussa
--------------Waghorn---------------

In the opening 20 minutes or so, Wellens and Oakley were completely controlling the game. Whenever Howson and Faye tried to pressurise them, King simply moved into the space in behind them and was able to pick up the ball easily. This happened over and over again and we simply could not deal with it.

Howson/Faye v Wellens/Oakley/King in central midfield - there was simply no match. It wasn't helped by both their wingers cutting inside to link up with King in attacks. Also, Naylor kept bursting out of the backline to get tight on King, leaving space in behind himself for Waghorn to expose. Basically, it was a nightmare.

Grayson did the right thing (well, sort of) and brought Johnson on to match up in the centre. Johnson and Howson then pressed Wellens and Oakley, giving them little or no space to get on the ball and create things. They basically stopped the supply to Leicester's three attacking midfielders and the striker. Meanwhile, Faye was left to mark King wherever he drifted.

-----------Oakley-Wellens----------
Somma--Johnson--Howson--Snoddy
Gallagher------King---------Moussa
-----------------Faye-------------------
--------------Waghorn---------------

This was working well up to half time as we contained Leicester and stopped their surge forward, although it didn't exactly help us going forward as Becchio was left alone up front to try get hold of the usual long punts from Collins and Naylor.

Anyway, the reason I said 'sort of' earlier regarding Grayson's substitution is because at the time, I thought he should have brought off Somma and kept a natural wide player in Watt on the pitch, instead of asking Somma to play in an unnatural position on the left of midfield.

Somma struggled there and Watt would have given much better cover to McCartney and, although it's easy to say in hindsight, he could have done a better job of stopping Naughton getting through into the box for their first goal.

I have to say, I do wonder if Grayson bottled the decision to take off Somma because it would definitely have provoked a bad reaction from an already angry crowd. But, in my opinion, it would have been the right decision.

For the two goals, apart from maybe having Watt at left-midfield instead of Somma, I don't really think Grayson can be blamed for them. Once again, as has been the case so many times this season, they were individual errors. The first was preventable if McCartney hadn't failed to clear the ball when he tried to tackle Naughton. The second was another gaffe from Naylor charging out and misjudging the challenge.

Tactically, I don't think there was much wrong after the first-half change, apart from maybe having Somma on the left. Leicester simply had much better quality players in nearly every position, who were comfortable on the ball and more committed than us. We managed to match them after the first 30 minutes but Leicester won because they had the quality players to capitalise on our individual errors.

tedfoxxx

A rational Leeds fan? **** me.

Last edited:

beaumontfox

I wasn't at the gane and therefore probably not entitled to an opinion. However, from what I heard, Oakley had a cracking game tonight.

I'm biased, but yeah, he did ok.:icon_razz

My mate texted me with 'have we won' I texted back with 'it's leeds-what do you think?'

Thought we were super! Should've been 2-0 up inside the first 15 minutes, Gallager needs fecking shooting. Lazy half-arsed infuriating muppet!

Naughton must've thought it was his birthday how easily he was allowed to run into the box and score his goal.

Wobbled a little when they equalized but we fully deserved the 3 points.
I LOVE beating them! haha

DesertFox

From a Leeds forum...
It's difficult to believe that someone who understands the game to that level can be a Dirty Leeds fan.

Hopefully one or two of our bonehead fans might take note too. Perhaps we can start to put a few of the more stupid cliches to bed...

We played what many people would call a 4-5-1 yet we were all over them, attacking and looking dangerous. There was nothing "negative" about it. We didn't have to have "two up front", we didn't have to have a "big man" up top. Our full backs pushed forward but weren't "caught out of position" when they lost the ball because they're supposed to attack in this system and the defensive midfielders are supposed to cover. It works.

It's the future, everyone, it's the 4-4-2-beater. Get used to it! :038: :038: :038:

Blue Maniac

Alzheimers sufferer
Wobbled a little when they equalized
Feck me, you went to this one and you still don't know what happened :icon_lol:

Weale 7 - Safe pair of hands, dealt with everything with confidence.
Naughton 7 - Dangerous going forward, did good work for his goal.
Davies 8 - Simply enormous. Calm and confident.
Hobbs 7 - Strong performance. Loves playing with Davies.
Berner 7 - Much better. Useful going forward and reasonably solid at the back.
Wellens 7 - Considerable improvement. When he cuts out the aimless cross-field balls and upfield punts direct to opposing defenders he's much more effective.
Oakley 7 - Looks much fresher this season than last, when he looked to be way past his best.
King 9 - Ran the game. This boy reads the game as well as any player I've seen in a City shirt.
Moussa 8 - Brilliant. Very dangerous going forward, beat good players with relative ease over and over again.
Waghorn 6 - Some good moments but seems too desperate to pay back his price tag.
Gallagher 3 - Dire. Nothing he tried worked. He gets 3 because some of his passes were on target. Felt bad for him, because it seems we're signing a player who plays in his position. Performances like this most likely will see him overlooked.
Subs:
Abe 6 - Much better. Almost as if someone had told him what his job was.
Howard 6 - Not a bad 15 minutes or so. Good impact player.

Ike O'Noclassed

That report almost makes it sound as though we have turned into the side that Sousa wanted us to be.

Timing and confidence are everything. Whether Pearson (with a budget he never enjoyed whilst with us) or Sousa would have tapped into the pool of surplus Prem-standard players with such effect is a dead argument, I guess.

Looks like our two new loan rangers are not only excellent in their own right, but bringing many of our established players (Hobbs, Berner, King and Oakley especially) up to a much higher level of performance.

Await the further impact of Vassell and A.N. Other(s).

Exciting.

NN Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673