Post Match Leicester 0 Shrewsbury 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Euro Cup structure is genuinely bizarre and one that means you need 4-5 extra players in the squad.

That's why it should really go back to being a proper cup competition and not the league format....and don't let the teams knocked out of the Champions League in either, you shouldn't reward failure.

Nope, it was after they won it in 1980 or 84, can't remember which year.

That's kind of what I was getting at, sorry I think you missed my hint of sarcasm :icon_bigg

It's 30+ years ago. I'd love to be romantic about the cups, but in reality it's a different world out there now.

You're just going to have to accept the way it is nowadays.

Along with many other clubs in cup competitions, our club didn't give a shit last night. We didn't pick a team to win the match, we picked one to 'look' like we might want to win. It was probably even less significant to them than a pre-season friendly. NP can say he's annoyed afterwards all he likes, but when you say that the competition isn't a priority and you pick a team that shows this, this annoyance comes across to me as fake. It was his choice to lose last night. I just wish he'd got the guts to say so. It's absurd to criticise the poor saps made to play in this context.

Our fans (including me) didn't give a shit because there were less than 7,000 that turned up. Less than went to the Werder Bremen match. I bet a fair proportion of those attending last night went to see players that they wouldn't usually see or as an opportunity to see a cheap/easy to attend match with kids or because they'd never seen us play Shrewsbury . . . How many actually went to see us in the cup competition?

Cup competitions have been eroding in importance for over twenty years. Even when we were winning League Cups in the late 90s, it was a time when the so-called big boys weren't even vaguely interested in the competition unless they'd gone without a trophy for too long. Unless you stumble through a few rounds and smell Wembley, few people really care any more.

In the context of our Premier League fixtures and injury situation, NP had to protect his first team last night. I just wish he'd made more changes.
Happy jolly birthday!!!

No offence BN, but I had you down as a lot older than that!

A 'lot' older? Because of my relentless wisdom I suppose?

Yakubu's agent gave me my birth certificate so it must be genuine.

Anyway, internet persona's are often not what they seem. For all we know, David Gwilliam could still have acne.

A 'lot' older? Because of my relentless wisdom I suppose?

Yakubu's agent gave me my birth certificate so it must be genuine.

Anyway, internet persona's are often not what they seem. For all we know, David Gwilliam could still have acne.

Yeah that'll be it :icon_lol:

You're just going to have to accept the way it is nowadays.

Along with many other clubs in cup competitions, our club didn't give a shit last night. We didn't pick a team to win the match, we picked one to 'look' like we might want to win. It was probably even less significant to them than a pre-season friendly. NP can say he's annoyed afterwards all he likes, but when you say that the competition isn't a priority and you pick a team that shows this, this annoyance comes across to me as fake. It was his choice to lose last night. I just wish he'd got the guts to say so. It's absurd to criticise the poor saps made to play in this context.

Our fans (including me) didn't give a shit because there were less than 7,000 that turned up. Less than went to the Werder Bremen match. I bet a fair proportion of those attending last night went to see players that they wouldn't usually see or as an opportunity to see a cheap/easy to attend match with kids or because they'd never seen us play Shrewsbury . . . How many actually went to see us in the cup competition?

Cup competitions have been eroding in importance for over twenty years. Even when we were winning League Cups in the late 90s, it was a time when the so-called big boys weren't even vaguely interested in the competition unless they'd gone without a trophy for too long. Unless you stumble through a few rounds and smell Wembley, few people really care any more.

In the context of our Premier League fixtures and injury situation, NP had to protect his first team last night. I just wish he'd made more changes.

I agree that that's the way it is nowadays but it nevertheless makes me feel quite sad and I care that we are out of the league cup. It means that we effectively throw ourselves out of cup competitions every season (which we could/may/possibly have progressed in and who knows -got ourselves into a European competition), just in case it prevents us from surviving. Survival. Is that is left for clubs like us? Throw away the cups but come 17th? Never actually winning anything? Maybe getting the odd point against Liverpool every now and again? We may still be in the premiership in 20 years - like Villa - very few highlights but been there a long time. Depressing.

Would it be a better strategy may be to shove the reserves and the kids in in games we are not likely to win? Against Chelsea for instance. Everyone seemed pleased we only lost 2-0. If the same side had been played as against Shrewsbury then we may have lost 6-0. Same result, just more goals. But if we did that against the top 5 That's 10 games our best team would be rested/protected from injury for so then the best players could play against the Burnley's, Stoke's, Villa's and Newcastle's. OK our goal difference would be poor, but we'd pick up more points. And maybe get ourselves to Cup finals - then into Europe, then attract more top players - then.. who knows?

These are the rantings of a man who has just come back from holiday and has drank a bottle of wine as work looms tomorrow. Be gentle with me...

Just sayin'...

Not really the point I know, but to those saying that we threw it away - we did play what are arguably seven Premier League players, plus a Championship goalkeeper, against Shrewsbury.

Shrewsbury ffs.

I agree that that's the way it is nowadays but it nevertheless makes me feel quite sad and I care that we are out of the league cup. It means that we effectively throw ourselves out of cup competitions every season (which we could/may/possibly have progressed in and who knows -got ourselves into a European competition), just in case it prevents us from surviving. Survival. Is that is left for clubs like us? Throw away the cups but come 17th? Never actually winning anything? Maybe getting the odd point against Liverpool every now and again? We may still be in the premiership in 20 years - like Villa - very few highlights but been there a long time. Depressing.

Would it be a better strategy may be to shove the reserves and the kids in in games we are not likely to win? Against Chelsea for instance. Everyone seemed pleased we only lost 2-0. If the same side had been played as against Shrewsbury then we may have lost 6-0. Same result, just more goals. But if we did that against the top 5 That's 10 games our best team would be rested/protected from injury for so then the best players could play against the Burnley's, Stoke's, Villa's and Newcastle's. OK our goal difference would be poor, but we'd pick up more points. And maybe get ourselves to Cup finals - then into Europe, then attract more top players - then.. who knows?

These are the rantings of a man who has just come back from holiday and has drank a bottle of wine as work looms tomorrow. Be gentle with me...

Just sayin'...
Are you Mike McCarthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572