Post Match Leicester 0 Shrewsbury 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt many people will agree. I'll probably be among them if we manage to stay up. But I'm thinking in terms of what I'd look back on more fondly as an old man and there's only one winner in that regard. As I've said, if we go down we'll be back again. Rinse and repeat for the next fifty years, just as for the last one hundred and thirty.

I think that most would prefer survival is an odd thing and suspect it's a modern phenomenon. If we stay up the owners get richer and we get to pay more for tickets. If we win a trophy we get memories to last a lifetime.

Meh. I can already remember us winning it twice.

I remember winning a league title last season too. That's given us the chance to play in the top division and I'd like that to be for more than one year, that is my preference this season.

There were a couple of young men standing guard near turnstile 1 to 6 shouting aggressively "One to six only". This was useful information and they needed to shout. However, the club is a business and the fans are customers so in future "One to six please". No other business would need to be told this.

The team selection showed that we desperately need some reinforcements.

I was pleased to see Hamer has cut some of his beard off therefore looking less like a buffoon.

The Shrewsbury goal was a superb free kick and Hamer who played well was not at fault. Wasilewski and Taylor Fletcher were excellent; the rest less so...

It was good to see Mahrez get a yellow card for diving. I would rather not win a match than win by cheating.

The Shrewsbury fans chanted "Premier League you're having a laugh" which was quite justified.

Enough said about a dull game - forget it.

I doubt many people will agree. I'll probably be among them if we manage to stay up. But I'm thinking in terms of what I'd look back on more fondly as an old man and there's only one winner in that regard. As I've said, if we go down we'll be back again. Rinse and repeat for the next fifty years, just as for the last one hundred and thirty.

I think that most would prefer survival is an odd thing and suspect it's a modern phenomenon. If we stay up the owners get richer and we get to pay more for tickets. If we win a trophy we get memories to last a lifetime.

I completely agree with the sentiment, and look back on our LC wins with far more fondness than any finishing position in the PL.

And if we'd already been in the later rounds, I'd still agree.

However, I just feel that a Cup win is so far away at this stage in the competition that I'm as equally content to get knocked out early.

NP sums it nicely

"But tonight wasn't good enough. We lacked quality, yet the players out there should be good enough.

"If they are good enough, then it (the defeat) had to be about the approach to the game and the application. It can't be anything else."

I don't get why staying up being priority means that cup defeats are a good thing. I'd like to see us try to succeed in every competition, to treat the cups with a lack of significance just makes our history as a club look a little more shitty. But hey - money is all that matters these days.

Well *I* care. Yes, survival is this league is more important but this was a chance of a win and a morale booster for the team and supporters which has now been pissed away.

Amazing.

I don't get why staying up being priority means that cup defeats are a good thing. I'd like to see us try to succeed in every competition, to treat the cups with a lack of significance just makes our history as a club look a little more shitty. But hey - money is all that matters these days.

Like I said earlier fitz, the context of our injury situation has forced this approach. Had we been playing with a full squad, the starting line up would probably had king, Hammond, nugent, and the attitude of the players different as a consequence. Human nature is a funny thing. I expect someone mentioned those dreaded words 'dont pick up any silly injuries out there' .

I'm sure if you ask the players, the staff or the owners, they would all of said that they wanted to win last night. Unfortunately the strength in depth is obviously not quite there, mixed with the age old mistake of seriously underestimating the opposition. With the later being more to blame then some would think. We all say before games where we're favourite to win, don't underestimate these, they will be hungry, sharp, aggressive etc.. etc.. and despite all the agreement and head nodding in agreement, something inside them says...Nah, we'll be alright.

Oh and hopefully thats the last time we see GTF in a competitive fixture, it's embarrassing that we have some one like him as back up, not his fault but embarrassing all the same.

Last edited:
Well *I* care. Yes, survival is this league is more important but this was a chance of a win and a morale booster for the team and supporters which has now been pissed away.

Amazing.

You're just going to have to accept the way it is nowadays.

Along with many other clubs in cup competitions, our club didn't give a shit last night. We didn't pick a team to win the match, we picked one to 'look' like we might want to win. It was probably even less significant to them than a pre-season friendly. NP can say he's annoyed afterwards all he likes, but when you say that the competition isn't a priority and you pick a team that shows this, this annoyance comes across to me as fake. It was his choice to lose last night. I just wish he'd got the guts to say so. It's absurd to criticise the poor saps made to play in this context.

Our fans (including me) didn't give a shit because there were less than 7,000 that turned up. Less than went to the Werder Bremen match. I bet a fair proportion of those attending last night went to see players that they wouldn't usually see or as an opportunity to see a cheap/easy to attend match with kids or because they'd never seen us play Shrewsbury . . . How many actually went to see us in the cup competition?

Cup competitions have been eroding in importance for over twenty years. Even when we were winning League Cups in the late 90s, it was a time when the so-called big boys weren't even vaguely interested in the competition unless they'd gone without a trophy for too long. Unless you stumble through a few rounds and smell Wembley, few people really care any more.

In the context of our Premier League fixtures and injury situation, NP had to protect his first team last night. I just wish he'd made more changes.

The fact that less than seven thousand city fans turned up shows you what they think is more important this year

If they couldn't be bothered, then it's hardly surprising that the manager and players couldn't either

Full house again on Sunday, I suspect

Well it's is Taylor-Fletcher's fault...why didn't he spend the summer shedding some weight.

I'd like the win to have some positivity around the club. If we don't have a fighting performance versus Arsenal, the negativity alongside the lack of transfer targets will flood in. (Not that I agree with that).

Well, that's a relief!!! We're safe in the Premier League for another season! I admit that I do not quite follow the technical details, but as so many of you are certain that early dismissal from the League Cup gives us an automatic place in next season's top league, who am I to gain say?

Seriously, whilst I accept that this defeat is not the end of the world, I do not see the great positives from losing a highly winnable game when we are in a run of difficult matches.

The fact that less than seven thousand city fans turned up shows you what they think is more important this year

If they couldn't be bothered, then it's hardly surprising that the manager and players couldn't either

Full house again on Sunday, I suspect

Given that most teams don't rate the cups these days why should fans turn up? Perhaps if we took it more seriously then fans would be willing to attend the games.

Given that most teams don't rate the cups these days why should fans turn up? Perhaps if we took it more seriously then fans would be willing to attend the games.

It's pretty clear that things work in this direction. The clear majority of fans seem to want to take the cups seriously, either in their own right or because they reject the notion that ignoring them is good for league position. Given the way this one just went, I'll be surprised if we get as many as seven thousand in next year's leahue cup - should we last long enough to get a home game.

It's pretty clear that things work in this direction. The clear majority of fans seem to want to take the cups seriously, either in their own right or because they reject the notion that ignoring them is good for league position. Given the way this one just went, I'll be surprised if we get as many as seven thousand in next year's leahue cup - should we last long enough to get a home game.

In the same context - yes, but if we have a fully fit ''fatter' squad then the likelihood is we will be looking to go through.

Cue endless GTF quips ......

I sat right behind the Shrewsbury dugout and was in good view of ours. It was noticeable that our coaches didn't seem 'up for it' - Kevin Phillips looked lost, Shakey was quiet and even Stowell looked bored. I understand the cup is not a priority, but what I witnessed last night was beyond awful.

I understand Pearson Jnr was MOTM on the Radio - I can only presume they were sitting in Mecca Bingo relying on Twitter updates to come up with that. Not one single player deserved a MOTM award last night.

Hamer looked very uncomfortable. He took too many risks i.e pissing about with the ball in his area trying to take on a couple of players to clear it. Do that in the Prem and you're asking for bother.

Cain, Pearson and Watson are all miles away from being involved long term with the first team. This was a worrying sign for me as to exactly how far away they are.

Moore, Konchesky and Wasilewski did ok. I was surprised Konchesky played the whole 90 mins given the fact he's currently our first choice left back and he's no spring chicken anymore.

Mahrez and Knockaert were both awful. Knockaert in particular. He was wasteful all night. Mahrez clearly couldn't be arsed.

Taylor-Fletcher and Wood at least put in a bit of effort to try and change the game and get us back in it. GTF has put on a few lbs which is a shame as I genuinely think he can offer us something, like Hammond can when we're up against it and need an experienced head on the field.

Overall the make up of the team was completely wrong. We shouldn't go in to any game to lose, and I'm of the opinion that's exactly what we did last night. I'd have personally started the likes of King and Nugent and taken them off after 50-60 mins.

With regards to the League Cup. I remember Bob Paisley saying after Liverpool won it one year, that they'd qualified for a European competition and that was always their aim at the start of a season. I wish more teams would adopt this attitude as not every team will finish in the top 4.

With regards to the League Cup. I remember Bob Paisley saying after Liverpool won it one year, that they'd qualified for a European competition and that was always their aim at the start of a season. I wish more teams would adopt this attitude as not every team will finish in the top 4.

That sounds like a very recent reference there Robin....

A major difference now is the stupid format of the Euro Cup or whatever it's called. Too many games and too much of a strain for squads that are normally smaller than those in the Champions League. I'd love us to win a cup again but wouldn't be too interested in the European qualification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566