Post Match Leicester 1 Everton 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were very poor against a bottom three team.
I'm going back to look at my 2015/16 poster again to cheer myself up before I cook Sunday dinner
I’d like to know which meat or meat alternative, if you’re having roasties or mash* and will there be yorkshire puddings?

*if you say new potatoes I’ll block you and report you to the police.

We were boring. Completely and utterly boring. It was all too easy for Everton to keep us out. Defending against us is the simplest task because we have so little creativity. In fact, without Maddison, we have none. Absolutely zero. We are incredibly slow and predictable and nothing is going to change that unless we find an outlet. Barnes used to be just that but it seems he has lost every single ouce of confidence he's ever had. Vardy isn't anywhere near fit enough and the other two, anywhere near good enough.

Rodgers is going nowhere so we have to look to the summer and the beginning of next season and how we are going to change and adapt. That means we do need to experiment in the next three games but it also means that this needs to be done carefully.

Our injuries have played a part regardless of what anyone else thinks not least of all because rotation hasn't been as heavy as it could have been. Fofana was such a massive miss and, yes, we shouldn't be so reliant on one or two players but that's for us to solve with recruitment.

The question is, do we look to try and play our strongest team possible to try and experiment with new ideas for next season or do we look to bring in the likes of Brunt and Alves?

Very few reasons for optimism.

Fofana is, obviously

Any of the teams on the top 5/6 of the table must be looking at steaming in on him this summer

And we can’t compete with any of them so I think he’s a goner

Matt Piper having a go at us playing three CBs with KDH at LWB. Blind bastard.

Took my lad and his friend to the cinema so missed the game. Feel like it might have been the right decision.

Matt Piper having a go at us playing three CBs with KDH at LWB. Blind bastard.
Alright Pop in the spirit of reconciliation here…

We were defending as a four defensively a lot. Evans was on the left of that 4.

When we had the ball Evans was advancing down the left as an option to the winger/full back. Going forward we essential had the two “central defenders” either side of Fofana pushing past our midfield. Jeff’s heat map reflects that.

My larger point was he was being played in a very uncomfortable position that largely functioned as a defensive left back given how much of the ball we had.

The positioning and shape of the team today was bizarre and only got crazier as the match progressed. Evans was the most obvious example of that to me. But the KDH role, and later how he positioned the forwards made very little sense either. Now your point about experimentation is well met. I don’t mind trying different things…but this was all quite strange and ineffective.

Last edited:
Alright Pop I’m the spirit of reconciliation here…

When we had the ball Evans was advancing down the left as an option to the winger/full back. Going forward we essential had the two “central defenders” either side of Fofana pushing past our midfield. Jeff’s heat map reflects that.

My larger point was he was being played in a very uncomfortable position that largely functioned as a defensive left back given how much of the ball we had.

The positioning and shape of the team today was bizarre and only got crazier as the match progressed. Evans was the most obvious example of that to me. But the KDH role, and later how he positioned the forwards made very little sense either. Now your point about experimentation is well met. I don’t mind trying different things…but this was all quite strange and ineffective.

You're both wrong. He was playing as a False 3.

Alright Pop in the spirit of reconciliation here…

Come on Milesy baby; you know what a complete **** I can be!

An excellent summary here. I don't agree with all of it but it's fair enough. The shape was wrong. Completely. Five at the back was ludicrous against this side when we knew that they would dig in and you're totally right, sone players just looked really uncomfortable.

Defensively we weren't awful really but up front and in the middle... so, so very poor.

You better still vote for me in CotY though.

Come on Milesy baby; you know what a complete **** I can be!

An excellent summary here. I don't agree with all of it but it's fair enough. The shape was wrong. Completely. Five at the back was ludicrous against this side when we knew that they would dig in and you're totally right, sone players just looked really uncomfortable.

Defensively we weren't awful really but up front and in the middle... so, so very poor.

You better still vote for me in CotY though.
COTY in the bag baby!

Reckon he’ll survive to Xmas?

I’m confused, how can KDH be played out of position at LWB, but Evans also be out of position at LB… :)

COTY in the bag baby!

Reckon he’ll survive to Xmas?
Honestly no idea. My gut tells me that he won't. I think he's too far gone with his stubbornness. Lose on Wednesday and it could speed up the process.

The fact he's not even given an interview yet may suggest that he is at least telling them what they need to hear.

Why did I bother? I sat there staring at the empty seats all around the ground bored out of my mind.

Schmeichel = weak when it mattered and looked disinterested
Amartey = second rate nobody getting far too many games
Fofana = absolutely immense. They'd have battered us without him
Evans = solid enough but oddly spent most of the game playing wide left
Castagne = what he is, a very average full back
Tielemans = awful performance from a completely knackered player who can't wait to leave
Mendy = pointless as ever. He did have a shot for the first time in recorded history though
Dewsbury-Hall = left wing back in the first half was a good experiment in my opinion. He deserves a lot of praise for his development this season but his passing isn't good enough and I don't see him working out as one of two in central midfield. At wing back, his talents could be used better. All said though, he was fecking useless there and the experiment was swiftly abandoned
Perez = pointless as ever, slipped over so often I wondered if he was trying to win a bet
Iheanacho = nothing performance. Too often on the ball deep with back to goal and went backwards
Daka = took his goal well. Nothing else of note
Barnes = laughable decision to bring him on at half time just to add even more ineptitude into the side
Vardy = like a zombie version of himself once again
Lookman = nothing player, inspires only another yawn

Why did I bother? I sat there staring at the empty seats all around the ground bored out of my mind.

Schmeichel = weak when it mattered and looked disinterested
Amartey = second rate nobody getting far too many games
Fofana = absolutely immense. They'd have battered us without him
Evans = solid enough but oddly spent most of the game playing wide left
Castagne = what he is, a very average full back
Tielemans = awful performance from a completely knackered player who can't wait to leave
Mendy = pointless as ever. He did have a shot for the first time in recorded history though
Dewsbury-Hall = left wing back in the first half was a good experiment in my opinion. He deserves a lot of praise for his development this season but his passing isn't good enough and I don't see him working out as one of two in central midfield. At wing back, his talents could be used better. All said though, he was fecking useless there and the experiment was swiftly abandoned
Perez = pointless as ever, slipped over so often I wondered if he was trying to win a bet
Iheanacho = nothing performance. Too often on the ball deep with back to goal and went backwards
Daka = took his goal well. Nothing else of note
Barnes = laughable decision to bring him on at half time just to add even more ineptitude into the side
Vardy = like a zombie version of himself once again
Lookman = nothing player, inspires only another yawn
Incredibly harsh on Castagne who put some fantastic crosses in to the box only for our useless ****s to ignore them or **** them into nothing.

BR:

Disappointed today. Changed the shape because of set piece issue but we failed to win individual battles. Lacked determination in key moments. Not enough penetration and quality.

On set pieces, our schedule means that we don't get a chance to work on it. We don't get an hour or two on the training pitch to do anything. They had one corner and we had the physicality but not the determination.

Preferred KDH at left back to Thomas for his physicality and to experiment.

I don't say much to the players after a game usually but today I wanted to find out what the players thought about the situation. We had an open and honest conversation. This is a great group but we need more quality and hunger in the summer. We need new blood.

Maddison and Justin were injured but may be back Wednesday. Ricardo will now be out for the rest of the season.

Rodgers:

1. Changed the shape to avoid set piece goals
2. Lack of quality and determination in final 3rd
3. Limited time to work on set pieces because of schedule and recovery time needed
4. We have looked small physically with some players missing but today it was about a lack of determination.
5. KDH put at LWB because of his physicality- it was an experiment.
6. Asked the players honestly about what they were thinking, why their determination was poor.
7. Need more quality and hunger coming in this summer
8. We have left some players behind with our hunger and want for more success. Will need to replace these players.
9. James Maddison is our 'best player'. Should be back on Weds with Justin. No Riccy P for the rest of the season.

You arseholes have nearly got me reaching for the tactics board!
If there had been more people in the match thread the ‘Evans at left back’ meme could have caught on, still might.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566