Post Match Leicester 2 Burton 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to differ. All teams, lower and upper league, take the competition extremely seriously when they get to the later rounds and a sniff of Wembley.

My lifelong ambition has always been to see us win the FA Cup. I've seen us play in the Premier League and also seen us win the League Cup. We are unlikely to ever win the Premier League title so what else is there?

I too would love to see us win the FA Cup, but, as has been stated numerous times before, the number 1 target is the Premier League. Therefore we need to concentrate on that and remove all distractions. Once goal 1 has been achieved, then look at making a go of the cup competitions. Lets face it, we arnt going to win it any time soon, so why waste time on something that could jeopardise promotion?

You seem confused.

Hope that helps.

I am confused because there is mass hysteria amongst a section of our support demanding blood for manager. This is all down to losing a game against lower league opposition; an event which happened to West Ham and Reading (who lost at the first hurdle of both cups) last year yet still went onto complete their overall goal of promotion. Our primary aim of the season is of course promotion. Interestingly both of those clubs had a wobble and stuck with their manager. Reading in fact after a victory in their second game went on a four game losing streak scoring a goal over those games but they stuck by their man in acknowledgement that upheaveal killed them a season when getting rid of Rodgers after a poor start the previous term.

Blackpool often cited as a club we should be emulating also lost in the League Cup playing a weakened team. Yet amongst this section of this City support, they are a club we should be emulating and there's no way (all because of a 6-0 win over shitty Ipswich) we are going to beat them on Saturday (despite being their bogey team over the past few seasons).

The main criticism at Pearson after this loss...the eight changes yet the country's very best managers do this year after year in this competition. Ferguson and Wenger blood the kids because they want to avoid playing more midweek games with 6 Champions League games.

If you look at Cardiff and Palace, a League Cup run killed their seasons. Ask Rhydal, after an exhausting Christmas period...they had fixtures galore in January and they were cruising a long but it was just all too much, come May they played West Ham looking exhausted.

All in all besumed. Some of the boneheads should just show some grace, applaud Burton on an excellent victory and leave it at that.

I am confused because there is mass hysteria amongst a section of our support demanding blood for manager. This is all down to losing a game against lower league opposition; an event which happened to West Ham and Reading (who lost at the first hurdle of both cups) last year yet still went onto complete their overall goal of promotion. Our primary aim of the season is of course promotion. Interestingly both of those clubs had a wobble and stuck with their manager. Reading in fact after a victory in their second game went on a four game losing streak scoring a goal over those games but they stuck by their man in acknowledgement that upheaveal killed them a season when getting rid of Rodgers after a poor start the previous term.

Blackpool often cited as a club we should be emulating also lost in the League Cup playing a weakened team. Yet amongst this section of this City support, they are a club we should be emulating and there's no way (all because of a 6-0 win over shitty Ipswich) we are going to beat them on Saturday (despite being their bogey team over the past few seasons).

The main criticism at Pearson after this loss...the eight changes yet the country's very best managers do this year after year in this competition. Ferguson and Wenger blood the kids because they want to avoid playing more midweek games with 6 Champions League games.

If you look at Cardiff and Palace, a League Cup run killed their seasons. Ask Rhydal, after an exhausting Christmas period...they had fixtures galore in January and they were cruising a long but it was just all too much, come May they played West Ham looking exhausted.

All in all besumed. Some of the boneheads should just show some grace, applaud Burton on an excellent victory and leave it at that.

Leaving aside the issue as to whether Nigel Pearson should stay, or go, do you honestly see this side being in play off contention, let alone top two? If you decide to answer, please don't go for an, "In Nigel we trust", type answer (Not that I would suggest that YOU would). I would be interested to hear from anyone who looks at our team and says, "Yes; that's promotion material."

No, because I was young back then and for me the competition held more weight. Now though I am older and wiser (only a bit) and the competition isn't really taken seriously by anyone but lower league teams. The League and promotion is the clubs number one target, all other distractions need to be removed as soon as possible. That's one out of the way, and as far as I'm concerned, the quicker we drop out of the FA Cup the better.

Competition is a waste of time and should be scrapped/ Too much football and too much bad football with the League Cup played out to empty grounds and no atmosphere. Its mainly about generating money for that portion of the bigger clubs who start to take it half seriously at the semi final stage.

And season by season the FA Cup is going down a similar plug hole - which is a shame for a traditionalist like me - but it is inevitable.

However, the significance of last night's result was the performance not the tawdry competition. It provided a yardstick of reality to test out the depth of the squad.....and in particular the lack of defenders who are any good. Most of us have assumed that pearon knew about defenders and defending - he seems to have forgotten. Hopefully he will remember quickly. Incidentally, past experience suggests that we will bounce back against Blackpool - bit will it last?

Competition is a waste of time and should be scrapped/ Too much football and too much bad football with the League Cup played out to empty grounds and no atmosphere. Its mainly about generating money for that portion of the bigger clubs who start to take it half seriously at the semi final stage.

And season by season the FA Cup is going down a similar plug hole - which is a shame for a traditionalist like me - but it is inevitable.

Here Here, well said. We lose one game and we have to change the manager, that isn't going to solve anything. We need to have stability. Look what happened when MON took over? I remember being at Filbert Street when evreyone was shouting for O'Neill to be sacked following a defeat by Sheffield United. The rest as they say is history.

Get a grip and ride out the storm.

Last edited:
Look what happened when MON took over? I remember being at Filbert Street when evreyone was shouting for O'Neill to be sacked following a defeat by Sheffield United. The rest as they say is history.

Not 'everyone' but I take your point.

Did the trick didn't it. Helped focus MO'Ns mind :icon_bigg

I actually agree with Hazzman. Apart from sacking the manager now being wrong because it is far too premature to judge, doing so causes far too much upheaval (& expense) to change managers who then ship in and out more players and above all, this upheaval is highly unlikely to produce a settled team that turns in good results to gets promotion. As with Reading FC last year, we have to give Pearson longer. I'm not saying I'm sure he will succeed, because I am NOT sure, but I am sure that sacking the manager is a futile act in terms of thinking it will gain promotion this season. The die is cast; we have to stay on board for the season and see if the coach (pun intended) arrives at destination promotion or destination mid table. If by the end of the season Pearson has failed miserably then that will be the owners most opportune and economic time to make a managerial change at a lower cost and gives a new manager the best chance to make a difference with a preseason a new transfer window and not destablise the players at the worst time.

Like Hazzman I am not at all convinced that the season under Pearson is going to bring more failure. Firstly, the club looked better than Peterborough, Charlton and Blackburn. I think one needs more games to show whether the team continues this type of form and actually starts winning most of them - or not. The cup game last night with a greatly weakened team was not at all indicative. Secondly, in the next few games Pearson will probably adjust & tweak his CHAMPIONSHIP team selection into the best and most potent blend. He has already shown (at Blackburn) that he realises that King is better than James. Who is to say that he won't adjust further in the next league game to address other weaknesses (eg Dyer on the wing is one in my view that he is going to make in the Championship). I also think Pearson needs to rethink whether playing with 2 wingers is sound or not... but he needs time to give it a bit longer.... and then time to change it if needed.

Just as some people have pointed out, Pearson's post match comments are very revealing. He was very angry and was more directly critical than he has ever been about players not doing well enough and that this will result in team selection changes for the next game. In other words, he has seen for himself that James isn't good enough, that Schlupp and Waghorn are not good enough to name but three. I think he knows already now after our false start that Dyer is not good enough. So give the man a break and give him a few more games to see if we are going to climb the table or not. Even if we don't climb after a few more games, we should still not change managers not least for the reasons stated at the beginning of this post. Even if after 10 games we are not where we want to be, you never know if the manager might turn it around later on like Reading's manager did. A certain Martin O'Neill turned it around from the 14th game... Give him longer everybody, and if he fails, the Thais will act in the summer. I hope they don't react before then.

Last edited:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again....M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E.

Ooo, looks like we're getting Noone in. Nice. See, it's still only August.

Leaving aside the issue as to whether Nigel Pearson should stay, or go, do you honestly see this side being in play off contention, let alone top two? If you decide to answer, please don't go for an, "In Nigel we trust", type answer (Not that I would suggest that YOU would). I would be interested to hear from anyone who looks at our team and says, "Yes; that's promotion material."

No we are short of a leader in all honesty. A couple of experienced pros with something to give. However, the division is very very difficult to pinpoint on ''promotion material''. Two recent promoted sides.....West Ham and Swansea, you couldn't get anymore different.

No we are short of a leader in all honesty. A couple of experienced pros with something to give. However, the division is very very difficult to pinpoint on ''promotion material''. Two recent promoted sides.....West Ham and Swansea, you couldn't get anymore different.

Blackpool, QPR and Norwich as well. There is no set formula to get promoted, it's not about tough defences or high scorers any more than it is about 4-4-2 or 4-3-3.

I actually agree with Hazzman. Apart from sacking the manager now being wrong because it is far too premature to judge, doing so causes far too much upheaval (& expense) to change managers who then ship in and out more players and above all, this upheaval is highly unlikely to produce a settled team that turns in good results to gets promotion. As with Reading FC last year, we have to give Pearson longer. I'm not saying I'm sure he will succeed, because I am NOT sure, but I am sure that sacking the manager is a futile act in terms of thinking it will gain promotion this season. The die is cast; we have to stay on board for the season and see if the coach (pun intended) arrives at destination promotion or destination mid table. If by the end of the season Pearson has failed miserably then that will be the owners most opportune and economic time to make a managerial change at a lower cost and gives a new manager the best chance to make a difference with a preseason a new transfer window and not destablise the players at the worst time.

Like Hazzman I am not at all convinced that the season under Pearson is going to bring more failure. Firstly, the club looked better than Peterborough, Charlton and Blackburn. I think one needs more games to show whether the team continues this type of form and actually starts winning most of them - or not. The cup game last night with a greatly weakened team was not at all indicative. Secondly, in the next few games Pearson will probably adjust & tweak his CHAMPIONSHIP team selection into the best and most potent blend. He has already shown (at Blackburn) that he realises that King is better than James. Who is to say that he won't adjust further in the next league game to address other weaknesses (eg Dyer on the wing is one in my view that he is going to make in the Championship). I also think Pearson needs to rethink whether playing with 2 wingers is sound or not... but he needs time to give it a bit longer.... and then time to change it if needed.

Just as some people have pointed out, Pearson's post match comments are very revealing. He was very angry and was more directly critical than he has ever been about players not doing well enough and that this will result in team selection changes for the next game. In other words, he has seen for himself that James isn't good enough, that Schlupp and Waghorn are not good enough to name but three. I think he knows already now after our false start that Dyer is not good enough. So give the man a break and give him a few more games to see if we are going to climb the table or not. Even if we don't climb after a few more games, we should still not change managers not least for the reasons stated at the beginning of this post. Even if after 10 games we are not where we want to be, you never know if the manager might turn it around later on like Reading's manager did. A certain Martin O'Neill turned it around from the 14th game... Give him longer everybody, and if he fails, the Thais will act in the summer. I hope they don't react before then.

Super-Duper post.

least we have a new Frenchman with a cultured left foot to get hard over. I knew Yann would score !

gone six months and not one thread asking where I was. shower of bastards

I agree 9/10. One point deducted for paragraph length.:icon_wink

and they've taken my name off the safe house. ****s

i think yours was shut down by the local authorities as it had turned into a right den of iniquity in your absence. You wouldn't have believed the things that were going on in there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669