Leicester 2 Coventry 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disappointing to concede late like that. Whenever Berner is out we are going to concede goals unfortunately. I've not been very critical of Mcgivern, but I thought his decision-making and positional sense were pretty poor today, he should have done better on the first cov goal.

I think that is harsh on Mcgivern who had a very good game at very short notice. I watched him with particular attention. He made only two mistakes (their first goal was not one of them), both right after he had that bash on the nose. I wonder how many of you would have had the courage to head the ball in a challenge like he did immediately after it? Get off the guy's back. You would still have to have a scapegoat even if we were top of the league. Pick on someone else and leave the young lad alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm watching the game over now. First half we really do play some good stuff, ran them ragged, creating lots of good chances with some good passing football. When we are at our best we are a match for anyone in this league and I'd fancy our chances of staying in the Premiership too.

Second half it was inevitable an in-form team like Coventry were going to try and get back into it. I think at the end of the day a draw is a decent result given the other results yesterday.

We will improve and iron out our inconsistancies in time, I think keeping hold of Pearson has got to be our main concern with regards to people moving in or out of the club.

But let's just see if we make the play-offs first before we start examining our Premiership credentials. In all likelihood we probably won't go up this year, but the experience of a few big games in the play offs would be good for the squad all the same in my opinion.

Quick, someone set up and over reaction management centre.

I think that is harsh on Mcgivern who had a very good game at very short notice. I watched him with particular attention. He made only two mistakes (their first goal was not one of them), both right after he had that bash on the nose. I wonder how many of you would have had the courage to head the ball in a challenge like he did immediately after it? Get off the guy's back. You would still have to have a scapegoat even if we were top of the league. Pick on someone else and leave the young lad alone.

Now then, I mentioned in my post that I'm not one to be critical of Mcgivern, and generally you'll find I'm pretty reasonable and level-headed about players. I certainly don't need a scapegoat and I've been delighted with the players and the performances all year.

That said, there were a number of times I saw Mcgivern (who, granted, I was probably watching more closely than the others) drift inside forcing Hobbs to step out to the winger, and on several occasions he showed hesitancy in deciding between marking a man or sitting in space. More than once he drifted too far upfield and left space in behind. A better managed team would have exploited it.

I don't think Mcgivern is as bad as is being made out. My main point is that without Berner in the side, we are far less steady at the back. Berner's decision-making and positional sense is far superior to that of Mcgivern...which is to be expected when one is 10+ years more experienced than the other.

And I still think he should have won the header at the back post for the first. So there! :icon_bigg

People are making too much of the disappointment of not holding onto a lead.

At the end of the day, Cov needed a win more to push on their outside play-off chances. It's less likely now that they will be able to achieve these. So on Monday morning Coleman is going to be the more disappointed manager.

OK - we were sussed out and to an extent our relatively physically light strikers were knocked around and understandably ran out of steam - but we also demonstrated that we can play very decent football against motivated opposition.

We played well in the first 35 minutes, but the fact Covscum didnt turn up made us look even better. Second half they bossed the midfield which resulted in us playing hoof ball and highlights our need for a defensive midfielder.

McGivern has no positional sense at all and made Covscums right midfielder (Baker) look like a world beater. For me Howard should have been brought on instead of Yann, who didnt even get near the ball. Howard gets stick for giving free kicks away but at least he gets into the defence, you wouldnt have even known Yann was playing.

Overall a point was probably a fair result, but disappointing to lose a two goal lead. The silly pipe dream of automatic has now gone and we need to re-group to ensure our play off spot.

We played well in the first 35 minutes, but the fact Covscum didnt turn up made us look even better. Second half they bossed the midfield which resulted in us playing hoof ball and highlights our need for a defensive midfielder.

Can someone explain why when we play well it's always down to the other team not turning up and not us playing well. Yet when the other team plays well it's down to them being good?

Quick, someone set up and over reaction management centre.

Quite.

People also overlook the real issues - which include Pearson (the best manager we've had and could hope to have for years) in negotiations with owner on new contract - with assertion in to-days Daily Telegraph that he rejected first offer.

A local derby ends in a draw - how astonishing! - I don't think.

Mentioned in the Sun that too. Appears that Pearson made a mention in his post-match interview that he wants a pot of transfer funds and control of all transfers.

I can't imagine Pearson saying that on the radio.

Pearson made a mention in his post-match interview that he wants a pot of transfer funds and control of all transfers.

Hah! He should remember where he was when we gave him the chance to manage our great club. He'll end up screwing Milan like Benitez has done to those nice Americans at Anfield if we let him have his way. Cheeky begger.

Yes, I am only joking.

Can someone explain why when we play well it's always down to the other team not turning up and not us playing well. Yet when the other team plays well it's down to them being good?

:icon_roll Did you even read my post?

We played well in the first 35 minutes, but the fact Covscum didnt turn up made us look even better.

This means that we were already playing well.

Second half they bossed the midfield which resulted in us playing hoof ball and highlights our need for a defensive midfielder.

I am blaming our tactics and lack of defensive midfield, at no point do I say Coventry looked good.

:icon_roll Did you even read my post?

No because usually it's a load of shit.

It was a point in general and not against you entirely. I'd seen lots of people on other forums saying it was because Cov hadn't turned up.

No because usually it's a load of shit.

It was a point in general and not against you entirely. I'd seen lots of people on other forums saying it was because Cov hadn't turned up.

Ah ok, the mistake you made was to quote me, which is probably why I thought you were aiming your comments at me.

In fact it is probably best just to avoid quotes, especially ones that dont really support what you are saying. It just leads to confusion :icon_wink

Last edited:
I have to agree with Wayne Brown. We did sound awfully quiet, especially on TV.

From todays Mercury......

Leicester City defender Wayne Brown has urged the Blue Army to pump up the volume and roar their team towards the play-offs.

Having recovered from an injury, Brown was on the substitutes' bench for the Coventry game on Sunday, from where he was surprised how quiet the home fans were inside the Walkers Stadium, even when City were 2-0 ahead.

Brown stressed he was not criticising City fans and hailed their support as tremendous this season. But he called for them to get right behind Nigel Pearson's men as they push to cement their place in the play-offs.

City are on home soil again tomorrow when Reading are the visitors and Brown is hoping the Blue Army will be in full voice.

"The fans have been tremendous all season. I am not having a pop at them in any way, shape or form, but I was a little bit surprised with them," he said.

"When you are on the pitch you don't notice it as much. Sitting on the bench, we were 2-0 up against one of our local rivals in Coventry and it was very, very quiet. I was thinking 'hold on, we are at home against our local rivals and we are two up, we need you to get behind us so we can kick on.'

"Coventry were struggling at that time and I feel if only we had been noisier.

"We need that little bit more atmosphere-wise from them. But that will come, and the sun is out now, so maybe they can start to enjoy the little run we are on more."

Wayne Brown said:
Coventry were struggling at that time and I feel if only we had been noisier.

If only you players weren't getting pinned back and allowing them back into it and instead gave us something to shout about. If only.........

Its an absolutely shite atmosphere at the Walkers for 95% of our home games.

Shame to say, but yes, it is.

Despite what I wrote at the top maybe we get the performances we deserve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669