Post Match Leicester 2 Everton 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
We definitely weren't anything like as cute as Everton with the ref. There were decisions given for them yesterday which would never have been given in the Championship. We'll have to adapt to that pretty quickly.

We need to learn that we won't have the thinking time on the ball we're used to either. But that can only come with practice against good sides, so in a way it's no bad thing to be playing a lot of the better sides early on.

Last edited:
The ref was one of the first obvious difference from the games I saw last year.

Definitely gave them some very soft stuff. Bottled it one at least one occasion.

Other than the Barry non-sending off I thought the referee was excellent in that I didn't notice him.

He allowed the game to flow and wasn't picky. There were no dirty challenges on show yesterday and he let the game be played.

Can't see why anyone would criticise him bar the Barry second foul?

Last edited:
Other than the Barry non-sending off I thought the referee was excellent in that I didn't notice him.

He allowed the game to flow and wasn't picky. There were no dirty challenges on show yesterday and he let the game be played.

I agree - a lot of fans seemed to moan when the ref didn't give anything for Mahrez's blatant dives

I thought he gave a lot of very soft free kicks both ways and, as pointed out, Moore probably should have been sent off as well if he wast going to give handball against Lukaku.

Although Moore did handle the ball he was only just over the halfway line, it could hardly be called a clear goal scoring opportunity. Many things could have happened in the sixty odd yards Lakuku still had to run to take the chance. This was pointed out in the commentary I was listening to, and I tend to agree, it was in my opinion a good decision by the ref, although some may beg to differ.

Although Moore did handle the ball he was only just over the halfway line, it could hardly be called a clear goal scoring opportunity. Many things could have happened in the sixty odd yards Lakuku still had to run to take the chance. This was pointed out in the commentary I was listening to, and I tend to agree, it was in my opinion a good decision by the ref, although some may beg to differ.

This.

5 positives and a few negatives for me.

1. Pearson tactically outdid Martinez across the 90 minutes. Us playing 4-4-2 caused problems in the first half but Pearson managed to get the right balance eventually. Our subs made a greater impact. Martinez was too cautious. NP proved his new vantage point to be a major benefit.

2. Kingy. The PL is more physical and first thirty minutes quickly put to bed the notion that PL football allows more time on the ball. However, it's often forgotten how much experience King has playing internationally and suspect he has more experience playing PL players then anyone else in our squad.

3. Ulloa. I'm going to call it and say he's a brilliantly observed signing. PL defenders don't like tall, physical players. See Andy Carroll. See how Oldham and Bradford went on cup runs thanks to respective target men. See how Benteke and Lukaku were hits upon arrival.

4. The performances of Morgan and Moore. Morgan's confidence developed after a great block from a Naismith shot in the first half. He sensed Lukaku was half-fit and began to push him around more. Moore looked more commanding and was good at communicating.

5. Finally, the fans. For first time in living memory, there was minimal moaning. We got behind them from different areas of the ground. It was pure roaring them on towards the end. We need 18 more of those atmospheres. I sounded like Sean Dyche by the final whistle. Every game must be an event. I suspect it will sustain over the visits from Arsenal and Manchester United. However, it needs to be there against Burnley and the rest.

Negatives

1. We've got find a way to play three in midfield. Everton were playing 3-6-1 at times and we were outnumbered on various occasions during the first half. Something tactically that needs working on.

2. The full-backs. Part belief, part a lack of real quality and part a lack of protection given to the wingers. De Laet was left exposed time and time again but he looked to me unsure when faced with an 1 on 1. Eventually in the final period of the game, he was helped by Mahrez when facing Miralles. Konchesky had a fairly easy job with McGeady constantly drifting inside.

3. Being more 'streetwise' to the ref. At every interval of play, an Everton player was speaking to the ref. Referee's are human when asked to re-consider, they began to think decisions over and they bare it all in mind. I suspect Barry spoke to the ref after his yellow and when the second foul came (which was his third of that nature), the ref thought maybe the yellow card for Ulloa was soft. Everton were also very clever in slowing the game on goal kicks and at injury intervals. The referee never even bothered with Howard.

4. The Poznan. Get rid please.

5. More composure on the ball. That applies across the team. We have to keep the ball better. The vast majority of goals are conceded when possession is lose in your half of the pitch. At times, our hoofs were aimless.

5 positives and a few negatives for me.

1. Pearson tactically outdid Martinez across the 90 minutes. Us playing 4-4-2 caused problems in the first half but Pearson managed to get the right balance eventually. Our subs made a greater impact. Martinez was too cautious. NP proved his new vantage point to be a major benefit.

2. Kingy. The PL is more physical and first thirty minutes quickly put to bed the notion that PL football allows more time on the ball. However, it's often forgotten how much experience King has playing internationally and suspect he has more experience playing PL players then anyone else in our squad.

3. Ulloa. I'm going to call it and say he's a brilliantly observed signing. PL defenders don't like tall, physical players. See Andy Carroll. See how Oldham and Bradford went on cup runs thanks to respective target men. See how Benteke and Lukaku were hits upon arrival.

4. The performances of Morgan and Moore. Morgan's confidence developed after a great block from a Naismith shot in the first half. He sensed Lukaku was half-fit and began to push him around more. Moore looked more commanding and was good at communicating.

5. Finally, the fans. For first time in living memory, there was minimal moaning. We got behind them from different areas of the ground. It was pure roaring them on towards the end. We need 18 more of those atmospheres. I sounded like Sean Dyche by the final whistle. Every game must be an event. I suspect it will sustain over the visits from Arsenal and Manchester United. However, it needs to be there against Burnley and the rest.

Negatives

1. We've got find a way to play three in midfield. Everton were playing 3-6-1 at times and we were outnumbered on various occasions during the first half. Something tactically that needs working on.

2. The full-backs. Part belief, part a lack of real quality and part a lack of protection given to the wingers. De Laet was left exposed time and time again but he looked to me unsure when faced with an 1 on 1. Eventually in the final period of the game, he was helped by Mahrez when facing Miralles. Konchesky had a fairly easy job with McGeady constantly drifting inside.

3. Being more 'streetwise' to the ref. At every interval of play, an Everton player was speaking to the ref. Referee's are human when asked to re-consider, they began to think decisions over and they bare it all in mind. I suspect Barry spoke to the ref after his yellow and when the second foul came (which was his third of that nature), the ref thought maybe the yellow card for Ulloa was soft. Everton were also very clever in slowing the game on goal kicks and at injury intervals. The referee never even bothered with Howard.

4. The Poznan. Get rid please.

5. More composure on the ball. That applies across the team. We have to keep the ball better. The vast majority of goals are conceded when possession is lose in your half of the pitch. At times, our hoofs were aimless.

4 has been a problem since it started. 5 , I put down to nerves of the occasion and it seemed to get a bit better second half, hopefully they'll calm down soon.

Probably has. A full preseason under his belt.

I feared the worst when he had to come on so early, but he did very well.

The midfield of Chelsea however, is a terrifying prospect with our 2 first choice players out.

I feared the worst when he had to come on so early, but he did very well.

The midfield of Chelsea however, is a terrifying prospect with our 2 first choice players out.

It's probably the wrong way to look at it, but it could be argued that as players are going to be injured during the season at some point, is it better our better players miss games we would be favourites to lose anyway.

A lot of sites have been highlighting Sclupp´s miss, when one-on-one with Tim Howard. Lineker has now joined in.
I do agree that it was an absolute Howler though!

Being injured now doesn't mean they won't be injured again for "easier" games later in the season.
I was somewhat clutching at straws to try to find some sort of positive out of it. I'm still coming to terms with the fact that I've spunked £50 on my Chelsea ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669