Post Match Leicester 2 Sheffield United 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, and I forgot. The awful awful awful situation may arise that we finish 4th but:
- Wolves win the Europa League
- Chelsea win the Champions League
- Manure finish 3rd and Chelsea finish 5th

If that unlikely trifecta comes off, we miss out on Champions League. That would be a real pisser.
Why is this a thing?

What happens if Utd win Europa and also finish Top 4?

What happens if Utd win Europa and also finish Top 4?
I think the Premier League can only have 4 teams in the CL so the place that would have gone to the EL winner would go to another country. So we’d have to finish third to get in.

I think that’s right....

A three goal win might be enough for them in that scenario. If we went into the last game needing not to lose by three goals I'm not sure I'd be feeling confident.

That's not correct.

If we win our next match, our goal difference will be at least +32 and if Man Utd lose their next match their goal difference will be at least +27. So the difference would be at least 5 goals, assuming we win by 1 and they lose by 1.

Should the above be the case then and they beat us by 5 and our goal difference is even, then they would nick 4th as in that case they would have scored more than us.

Of course we may end up winning by more than 1 and them losing by more than 1. So if we win by 2 and they lose by 1 they'd have to score 6. Which I'm comfortable with. When was the last time we lost by 6 goals?

That's not correct.

If we win our next match, our goal difference will be at least +32 and if Man Utd lose their next match their goal difference will be at least +27. So the difference would be at least 5 goals, assuming we win by 1 and they lose by 1.

Should the above be the case then and they beat us by 5 and our goal difference is even, then they would nick 4th as in that case they would have scored more than us.

Of course we may end up winning by more than 1 and them losing by more than 1. So if we win by 2 and they lose by 1 they'd have to score 6. Which I'm comfortable with. When was the last time we lost by 6 goals?
They’re playing us, so in the scenario you describe, if they beat us by 3 then their goal difference would go up to +30 and ours would go down to +29.

I think the Premier League can only have 4 teams in the CL so the place that would have gone to the EL winner would go to another country. So we’d have to finish third to get in.

I think that’s right....
No, we’d get a 5th space in that scenario, like Man Utd did when they won the Europa League in 2017 but didn't finish in the top 4.

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm not sure if my post was saying what I was trying to say. If they win the Europa League but don't finish in the top 4, they would get into the Champions League as a 5th team for England.

If they win the Europa League and finish in the top 4, then no extra spaces are allocated, so if we finished 5th we would be in the Europa League.

Whatever happens, we have to finish in the top 4 in order to be in the Champions League.

Sorry, I'm not sure if my post was saying what I was trying to say. If they win the Europa League but don't finish in the top 4, they would get into the Champions League as a 5th team for England.

If they win the Europa League and finish in the top 4, then no extra spaces are allocated, so if we finished 5th we would be in the Europa League.

Whatever happens, we have to finish in the top 4 in order to be in the Champions League.

Damn, got a little bit excited by the first reply.

Definitely has to be top 4 for us then.

They’re playing us, so in the scenario you describe, if they beat us by 3 then their goal difference would go up to +30 and ours would go down to +29.
You're indeed correct.
Either way, we beat Spurs by 1 and they lose vs West Ham (?) By 1, then we need a draw or a narrow loss by 1 or 2 goals.

I just hope we dick Spurs by 2 or 3 and Utd lose. I'll be able to have a beer vs Man Utd then.

Interesting though that reading through all of the comments here there is barely any praise for the manager. In my opinion last night he played a blinder.

Not a blinder for me. Unless by blinder you mean he resisted the urge to make changes to a functioning unit. I think there's little praise because, basically, he did his job as expected. I no more praise that than I'd praise Kasper for not throwing the ball into his own net.

No, fair does, he did what was required and selected a team that, in hindsight, was more than up to the task. He was brave enough to play Thomas (if it was indeed brave rather than the best option available) So, no, I'm not going to give him grief but neither do I feel it's worthy of a mention in the dispatches. A job well done, B+. Will that do?

Here’s my note on the manager: he probably secured his job yesterday.

had we lost we would have been in very real danger of tumbling out of Europe completely, which would have been inexcusable.

So fair play. He got a positive response from a very patched up side.

the United game is the one, isn’t it? We were so shit against them earlier in the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669