Post Match Leicester 5 Manchester United 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Such a surreal day. I was watching SSN before I left for the game and they were doing the whole prematch build up. They cut from a clip of Van Gaal complimenting us to Esteban Cambiasso in a Leicester polo shirt chatting about the game. It's all taking some getting used to.

Everybody is stopping to smell the roses. What a 12 months its been!

It is difficult to place this match into its proper context given our proximity to the events of the day, but it's difficult to believe that it won't sit close to the very best of all the league matches in Leicester City's history.

As so often one of the more meaningful moments of the day came away from the pitch. The atmosphere today was a perfect example of a football club as a living, breathing, organic entity. Which of course it is; a football club is never more than the sum of the individuals making up the community it represents, whatever the money men might like to think.

To my right this afternoon were a father and young son, the latter perhaps ten years old - about the age I was when I first fell in love with the sport. The shared affection between them as goal after City goal hit the net was lovely to see. To the lad it will have felt more special than it ever can again for me. Football is still alive with possibilities for him as it was for me at that age.

The memories created today will live with them both forever. The perfect father-son experience. They'll talk about today for years to come, after graduations, wedding days and the birth of grandchildren. The lad will look back after his dad has gone and treasure the memory of it all. And he'll pass it on to his own children desperately hoping to be lucky enough to share it with them in thirty-odd years. That sort of thing makes the shit years worth the pain.

Last edited:
It is difficult to place this match into its proper context given our proximity to the events of the day, but it's difficult to believe that it won't sit close to the very best of all the league matches in Leicester City's history.

As so often one of the more meaningful moments of the day came away from the pitch. The atmosphere today was a perfect example of a football club as a living, breathing, organic entity. Which of course it is; a football club is never more than the sum of the individuals making up the community it represents, whatever the money men might like to think.

To my right this afternoon were a father and young son, the latter perhaps ten years old - about the age I was when I first fell in love with the sport. The shared affection between them as goal after City goal hit the net was lovely to see. To the lad it will have felt more special than it ever can again for me. Football is still alive with possibilities for him as it was for me at that age.

The memories created today will live with them both forever. The perfect father-son experience. They'll talk about today for years to come, after graduations, wedding days and the birth of grandchildren. The lad will look back after his dad has gone and treasure the memory of it all. And he'll pass it on to his own children desperately hoping to be lucky enough to share it with them in thirty-odd years. That sort of thing makes the shit years worth the pain.

Terrific post. Taken my sons many times, but never been as lucky as to see a game like this. Watched with them at home today, but not the same.

I promise that this will be the final time that I well up today...... :038:

Last edited:

One of the best posts I have read on this forum. Thank you LeeCovFox

Agree with every bit of that BN, the only exception being Nugent who I think is playing an important role.

That said, I can definitely see Mahrez or Powell getting a chance in that role soon.

I agree. I think that Nugent will struggle as a goalscorer this year, albeit that the penalty today was absolutely crucial and well taken. However, like Ulloa and Vardy, he leads the defence from the front. He worked tirelessly in the centre, and gave them very little time or space.

Interestingly his average position was deeper than DD's today, showing just how far back he is dropping to help the midfield or start the attacks.

Dave Smith ‏@fossilsandfoxes 3m
Highest league position for #lcfc since March 2001 - the start of our record run of 9 successive defeats under Peter Taylor #fossilsandfoxes

Well someone had to say it...

Beautiful. Simply beautiful.

re. Nugent, he did a great job for the team today. Blind was totally out-marked by him all game. Oh, and he scored a pen at a crucial time. Just sayin.

Fantastic day. We'll reviewed by many already - nothing else to add except......

For endeavour, excitement, atmosphere & unbridled joy, only the Cambridge play off semi 2nd leg comes close. Great stuff all. For 20-25 mins, we absolutely ripped them apart.

re. Nugent, he did a great job for the team today. Blind was totally out-marked by him all game. Oh, and he scored a pen at a crucial time. Just sayin.

Agreed. Kept Blind occupied all afternoon. Key role within our tactics today. Spot on Nigel.

Fantastic day. We'll reviewed by many already - nothing else to add except......

For endeavour, excitement, atmosphere & unbridled joy, only the Cambridge play off semi 2nd leg comes close. Great stuff all. For 20-25 mins, we absolutely ripped them apart.

The 5-0 Bob?

Okay, I've calmed down a bit now so can reflect on the game properly.

The negatives for me were also clear. De Laet, Hammond and Nugent aren't going to be in our strongest eleven once we've settled down. Simpson is simply a better right back and the reality is that team's are exploiting our weakness down that side over and over again. Hammond hasn't the legs for it. He's done terrifically well, but James is a better player in every way. I also think Nugent isn't good enough. Mahrez is a better option and offers so much more. With those three changes, we've got a very capable and competitive side at this level.

De Laet had a torrid time in the first half and I really thought he would get taken off at half -time but he was immense in the second period. Quite simply, his runs forward won us the game. Nugent was not too good first half either. But hey, this is nit-picking. We were absolutely outstanding.

On Vardy, of course I'm biased but I didn't think he fouled Rafael and I don't think he would even have done it if he thought he was going to get penalised.

Some of the retarded reactions after Balotelli's MU lol tweet today. Anyone here who knows who this Craig from Leicester is? Sounds like a nice bloke......

image.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673