Post Match Leicester City 1 Portsmouth 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair to him, I thought Wellens looked better with the partnership yesterday than he has done in a while, but still below where he was last season.

Totally agree I thought Wellens had a decent game and was at the heart of trying to make things happen, the problem for me was the absence of real flair and quality from 3 of the 4 attacking players in the starting line up, Gallagher apart from some decent set pieces and King were largely anonymous and Schlupp despite a bright start struggled to make an impression. we desperately need some quality out wide and in the attacking midfield role. Get that and think with Abe and Wellens we have a decent midfield partnership.

I thought Wellens was woeful! His constant desire to go backwards is, in itself, a reason for eliminating him from the starting eleven. He was bereft of any inspiration or ability to create something out of nothing (indeed, something out of anything!). Wellens has been very good in the past and nobody can deny that, at times, he has been a game winner but not this season and perhaps, if we are honest, not for most of last either. It is a shame when players who were once very good work horses creep past their sell-by-date but Wellens, I'm afraid, seems to be all too quickly approaching this saddening milestone.

On a subsidiary note, I was at the game yesterday so I have only just listened to the post match comments made by Gary McAllister on Sky. I think his summary of the atmosphere was spot on. Supporters wanted (needed) something to feed off from those on the pitch but the players require just as much from the fans. I don't think there was anything like enough noise or intimidation shown by any section of our support. I'm not having a pop at fans who have spent their hard earned cash watching the dross we have witnessed over the past few home performances, just trying to decide whether the chicken or the egg came first if you will.

I was one of those who fondly but mistakenly thought there was a chance of getting MON back as manager and wasn't particularly enthusiastic about Nigel returning.

Now that Nigel is our manager I want him to do well.

However, there is a valid comparison to be made between MON at Sunderland and NP at LCFC.

While Martin will admit that he is a 'lucky' manager and works very hard to make his own luck, he has galvanised Sunderland into a team playing with passion and desire despite having a squad of fairly average players.

When Nigel came back here, I expected him to do the same.

I don't share the view that the squad he inherited is poor quality. A major enticement for him coming back was the calibre of player at his disposal. He would not have returned if he thought the players here were significantly worse than those at Hull.

What is very disturbing is his apparent inability to get any of the players to perform with any confidence, skill, pride or passion.

To take his frustration out on a reporter simply doing his job and asking reasonable questions on behalf of the fans is undignified.

I'm interested to hear from Deep Red on why he thinks the players simply aren't doing it for Nigel this time around.

I was one of those who fondly but mistakenly thought there was a chance of getting MON back as manager and wasn't particularly enthusiastic about Nigel returning.

However, there is a valid comparison to be made between MON at Sunderland and NP at LCFC.

While Martin will admit that he is a 'lucky' manager and works very hard to make his own luck, he has galvanised Sunderland into a team playing with passion and desire despite having a squad of fairly average players.

I don't share the view that the squad he inherited is poor quality. A major enticement for him coming back was the calibre of player at his disposal. He would not have returned if he thought the players here were significantly worse than those at Hull.

What is very disturbing is his apparent inability to get any of the players to perform with any confidence, skill, pride or passion.

To take his frustration out on a reporter simply doing his job and asking reasonable questions on behalf of the fans is undignified.

I'm interested to hear from Deep Red on why he thinks the players simply aren't doing it for Nigel this time around.

An excellent well thought out post FR. After watching a few games (albeit from afar) I am mystified as to how our team isn't galvanised. The complete lack of urgency or willingness to even perform average championship football is beyond me.

I despair as to how we have arrived in this position, and am thoroughly pissed off as to our gutless, toothless and lacklustre performances and I totally agree that NP is out of order in making Stringer almost a scapegoat.

We need to change this round and fast.

Last edited by a moderator:

He didn't take anything out on Stringer FFS, have you listened to it? Stringer asked a stupid question and got rebuffed, end of.

On a subsidiary note, I was at the game yesterday so I have only just listened to the post match comments made by Gary McAllister on Sky. I think his summary of the atmosphere was spot on. Supporters wanted (needed) something to feed off from those on the pitch but the players require just as much from the fans. I don't think there was anything like enough noise or intimidation shown by any section of our support.

Always the same down at Leicester, I do genuinely believe we have a very boring and characterless set of supporters, people on here disagree with me but the proof is in the experience, boring boring Leicester is a perfect description of both the players and the fans.

Always the same down at Leicester, I do genuinely believe we have a very boring and characterless set of supporters, people on here disagree with me but the proof is in the experience, boring boring Leicester is a perfect description of both the players and the fans.

I can't stand the twats in the Kop who stand there all game abusing their own fan; saying that anyone who chooses to spend the game sat in the seat I paid for, rather than singing shit songs or hurling abuse, is a lesser fan to then boo the players at the end. Morons.

The fact the only time any type of atmosphere came from our fans was to boo Mattock and to sing "how shit you must be, you're only one up" which is really going to fill our fans with confidence says it all. I really wish our fans would spend more time cheering on their own team rather than making disparaging chants to either their own team, the opposition or the city of some team we're not even playing.

As for your question FR. You already know what I think of the squad, in terms of both ability and personality. I think there are too many egos in this squad which really need shipping out. Have said since the day he came I wasn't expecting miracles from NP and think he needs a chance to bring in his own players and ship out the egos and dead wood. I also think the comparison to MON is a fair one, but using his time at Sunderland is the wrong one. A comparison to his time at Leicester is much more astute in which we were basically in the same situation in his first few months as we are now: performing really poorly and falling down the league with McGhee's squad, it wasn't until he brought in his own players (Izzet, Lennon, Claridge etc.) that we started moving up the league. You can be the best motivator in the world, you're still not going to do much if the squad and its team spirit and moral is so rotten. I'm confident once NP gets his own players in he'll start to build a great team ethic again as he had when he was here before.

Last edited:
He didn't take anything out on Stringer FFS, have you listened to it? Stringer asked a stupid question and got rebuffed, end of.

Yes, I listened to it 'live' at the time. It was cringeworthy and embarrassing. You are totally wrong because he did exactly what I said. He vented his anger and frustration at the interviewer.

You simply writing 'end of' is pretty pathetic.

He asked a question at which Pearson took umbrage. He lost an amount of my respect with his attempt to belittle Ian Stringer by twice calling him 'lad'.

Hull City fans weren't exactly displeased to see him leave because of his poor public relations image, interviewee technique and disparaging comments.

When he took over here this time he was all charm and pleasantry and I warmed to him because he seemed to have changed.

I only hope he apologised to Stringer after he calmed down and had time to reflect.

Yes, I listened to it 'live' at the time. It was cringeworthy and embarrassing. You are totally wrong because he did exactly what I said. He vented his anger and frustration at the interviewer.

You simply writing 'end of' is pretty pathetic.

He asked a question at which Pearson took umbrage. He lost an amount of my respect with his attempt to belittle Ian Stringer by twice calling him 'lad'.

Hull City fans weren't exactly displeased to see him leave because of his poor public relations image, interviewee technique and disparaging comments.

When he took over here this time he was all charm and pleasantry and I warmed to him because he seemed to have changed.

I only hope he apologised to Stringer after he calmed down and had time to reflect.
You are wrong. End of.

If this is true then those Hull fans are utter idiots. Anyone who decides whether they want them to stay or go on things like this has got their priorities seriously wrong. His ability to win football matches is what matters, not whether or not you think he is a good interviewee in the media.

Last edited:
If this is true then those Hull fans are utter idiots. Anyone who decides whether they want them to stay or go on things like this has got their priorities seriously wrong. His ability to win football matches is what matters, not whether or not you think he is a good interviewee in the media.

They didn't like his condescending and patronising comments when the local radio interviewer suggested the fans were critical of some of the team performances.

Hey don't shoot me, I'm only summarising what was said on Radio Leicester by a local Hull-based reporter at the time.

They didn't like his condescending and patronising comments when the local radio interviewer suggested the fans were critical of some of the team performances.

Hey don't shoot me, I'm only summarising what was said on Radio Leicester by a local Hull-based reporter at the time.

I wasn't shooting you, I was shooting those Hull fans. Not liking his comments is one thing, but being happy he's gone because of them over his managerial ability is what's ridiculous.

Last edited:
You are wrong. End of.

Do grow up. I'd always assumed that only people with at least a modicum of intelligence got to be a moderator on here. You can always tell someone has lost an argument when they resort to childish expressions. Surprised you didn't write 'Whatever'.

Last edited:
I wasn't shooting you, I was shooting those Hull fans. Not liking his comments is one thing, but being happy he's gone because of them over his managerial ability is what's ridiculous.

I agree. What I do find worrying at the moment is the fact that Nigel seemed to be clearly rattled. If the players pick up on that he's going to have a hell of a job on his hands.

I can't stand the twats in the Kop who stand there all game abusing their own fan; saying that anyone who chooses to spend the game sat in the seat I paid for, rather than singing shit songs or hurling abuse, is a lesser fan to then boo the players at the end. Morons.

Haha, yes. I had to move seats for a game recently (back to row GG) and was amazed at the abuse that's hurled at fellow supporters because they won't stand up and luv Lestoh. They said that they dread getting into the Premier League (no fear of that this year) as we'll have the worst set of supporters in the country.

They left bang on 84 minutes ... to miss the traffic ... hypocritical twats.

Haha, yes. I had to move seats for a game recently (back to row GG) and was amazed at the abuse that's hurled at fellow supporters because they won't stand up and luv Lestoh. They said that they dread getting into the Premier League (no fear of that this year) as we'll have the worst set of supporters in the country.

They left bang on 84 minutes ... to miss the traffic ... hypocritical twats.

I always laugh at the people from the back of L1 who chant "loyal supporters" as they leave the game early.

I've listened several times including the original broadcast and Nigel was definitely stroppy and churlish with Stringer.

Those of you who have only listened to the recording probably won't have heard Nigel 'sign off' by referring to Stringer as 'lad'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669