Post Match Leicester City 2 - 0 Peterborough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely stinking hangover this morning.One of the worst in ages.Felt like shite all day...but i now feel great.

Ah...football.Sometimes,just sometimes I remember why I care.

Stringer asked about the extra effort Beckford put in today...

NP says the important thing is that all the players we have here now want to be at the club and want success. With a lot of strikers to pick from, they're all keen to fight for their place.

Good news.

Pearson says he's always interested to hear Stringer's thoughts. :icon_lol:

NP quote of the season and it's only opening day.

Job done.

Defensively, we looked a little shaky. There was a rather large gap between De Laet and Morgan at times. Of all the defenders, Konchesky impressed me most and his energy levels towards the end indicated a much more thorough preseason preparation. De Laet didn't convince me and the central defence were tested very little but I think could easily be exploited if ran at with pace. This time next week, we'll know how good (or not) we are.

In midfield, Drinkwater looked much more confident than last season, although James was disappointing. Apparently, he wasn't well so that may account for it. Dyer did his usual early season, gung-ho performance that was all puff and no pastry. Marshall will have better games too. The way Peterborough played left us outnumbered in midfield and it showed as they took the initiative early on, and we had precious little of the play in the first half.

Both forwards worked hard, Vardy especially so. For a player not familiar with this level of football, he doesn't look out of place technically. I still think the odds of Beckford leaving before the window closes are pretty good. We're definitely holding onto a couple too many forward players and lacking a couple at the back.

King came on and seemed more like the 'old' AK than the one from last season. That could be key. Knockaert fussed and fluffed and Nugent made no impact.

Overall, Peterborough looked rank outsiders for survival and we did a job without playing well. But for Schmeichel, we could easily have allowed them back into the game and they were nowhere near good enough for that. Tomlin looked like a fat pub player, though I'm sure he was impressive last season.

Well then. First half, all I can say is defensively solid. Offensively… non existent really. Second half, much better, though it took Captain Morgan's goal to get us going. But, it's a win, and a good one. Never looked like conceding. Solid.

Very good to hear, especially as Peterborough scored four mid-week!

Job done.

Defensively, we looked a little shaky. There was a rather large gap between De Laet and Morgan at times. Of all the defenders, Konchesky impressed me most and his energy levels towards the end indicated a much more thorough preseason preparation. De Laet didn't convince me and the central defence were tested very little but I think could easily be exploited if ran at with pace. This time next week, we'll know how good (or not) we are.

In midfield, Drinkwater looked much more confident than last season, although James was disappointing. Apparently, he wasn't well so that may account for it. Dyer did his usual early season, gung-ho performance that was all puff and no pastry. Marshall will have better games too. The way Peterborough played left us outnumbered in midfield and it showed as they took the initiative early on, and we had precious little of the play in the first half.

Both forwards worked hard, Vardy especially so. For a player not familiar with this level of football, he doesn't look out of place technically. I still think the odds of Beckford leaving before the window closes are pretty good. We're definitely holding onto a couple too many forward players and lacking a couple at the back.

King came on and seemed more like the 'old' AK than the one from last season. That could be key. Knockaert fussed and fluffed and Nugent made no impact.

Overall, Peterborough looked rank outsiders for survival and we did a job without playing well. But for Schmeichel, we could easily have allowed them back into the game and they were nowhere near good enough for that. Tomlin looked like a fat pub player, though I'm sure he was impressive last season.

I thought De Laet looked cracking, much better than Peltier.

Job done.

I think you've been a little though on them there, I certainly wouldn't say we didn't play well. They have a system, and even though they have a selection of pub/sunday league players they stick to it and try to invite teams onto them. We didn't fall for it and actually think we nulified them quite effectively in the first half, and still produced far more chances. We eventually started to take the game to them and were quite happy to pick off their numerous loose passes and poor touches. Drinkwater looked particularly snappy and used the ball wisely.

The only time they troubled us really was later on when Sinclair came on and had a couple of half chances, drawing a great save from Kasper. I agree about Vardy, plays the game with his head up and did well to set King up, even though the cross appeard to be aimed at Nugent.

The back four looked composed. I though Marshall struggled to influence the game as much as he can. Beckford and Vardy worked hard and made plenty of runs, I've no idea why Pearson would sell Beckford unless the money is great.

I thought it was a promising performance, we took a while to get going and force them to give the ball up but didn't look particularly troubled at all. I was astonished to hear whinging at half time.

Last edited:
de Laet > Peltier.

This. Impressive game from him I thought, solid and the back and gave good support going forward. Best out of the new players today. As for the others... Vardy ran tirelessly but did send a few passes astray, needs some time to get used to playing quicker opposition, but when he lost the ball he'd work hard to get it back. James looked ok, Pearson said he was ill (hence not playing the full game) so I'll judge fully later. It felt like Knockaert was only on briefly but made a good impression, I don't really remember seeing him cross the ball but he put together a few good passes, made a great tackle and looked very enthusiastic. He seemed to want to take the set pieces but Marshall put him right.

Moore - looked a bit nervous in the first half, got much better in the second. Still would worry about him against a better attacking team.
Kasper - didn't have a shot to save first half, second half stopped a few. Also made a couple of dodgy kicks that somehow managed to end up in chances for us.
Morgan - completely solid
Konchesky - great understanding with Dyer and had a really good game both going forward and in defence.
Dyer - Worked tirelessly and was one of our main threats for the majority of the match.
Drinkwater - bossed the midfield, last season I felt he got bullied off the ball too much - he looks a completely different player this season
Marshall - clearly has the ability to be our best player, some of his touches and his ball control was unreal. He didn't have his best game but that is in comparison with his other games for us which have been of a very high standard.
Beckford - Again, a lot of hard work, but not many real chances.
King - looked very eager when he came on. Really great goal and some nice touches around the field.
Nugent - Not really on long enough to judge.

Thank God for the footie.

With all due respect to the admirable boxers, judokas and women footballers I am fed up with snobby horse riders, boring rowers and don't get me started on synchronised swimming. Jessica Ennis may be nice but I prefer Kasper, Wes and Konch to Michael Phelps, Tom Daley and whoever it is Bolt. I support Leicester and do not belong to a country called GB . I suspect Andy "Anyone but England" Murray feels the same.

Its good to be back.

With all due respect to the admirable boxers, judokas and women footballers I am fed up with snobby horse riders, boring rowers and don't get me started on synchronised swimming. Jessica Ennis may be nice but I prefer Kasper, Wes and Konch to Michael Phelps, Tom Daley and whoever it is Bolt. I support Leicester and do not belong to a country called GB . I suspect Andy "Anyone but England" Murray feels the same.

Its good to be back.

I too prefer mediocre football, but wouldn't be without the olympics. Best thing about them is the variation and all the sports you normally don't see. and much of it on a level even the best footballers can't dream of reaching

Job done.

De Laet didn't convince me and the central defence were tested very little but I think could easily be exploited if ran at with pace. This time next week, we'll know how good (or not) we are.

Overall, Peterborough looked rank outsiders for survival and we did a job without playing well. But for Schmeichel, we could easily have allowed them back into the game that. .

I am surprised at your comments about De Laet, Brown Nose as I thought he had an excellent game. He is very fast and played intelligently.

If James was not well he should not have played - we have enough good midfielders.

As for Beckford working hard I do think he worked harder than most games last year. I agree with you about Vardy who looked OK at this level and our best striker. Obviously we will not go up with players who are "OK at this level" but presumably he will get better. Nugent was disappointing.

I rated Knockaert's performance more highly than you do and felt Dyer may struggle to keep his place in the starting XI.

Presumably Liam Moore is below Sean and Zak in the pecking order but he did not let anybody down.

Of the two goalkeepers I thought the Peterborough one did very well making an outstanding save in each half. Schmeichel made saves but they were ones a championship goalkeeper should have made. He and the rest of the defence can be pleased withg their third consecutive clean sheet.

Just seen the goals on sky, suprised morgan wasn't penalised for leaning on, but hey he's a big fella. Kings goal was top draw, he made it look easy, but to control the direction at that pace takes some doing.

I am surprised at your comments about De Laet, Brown Nose as I thought he had an excellent game. He is very fast and played intelligently.

Yeah, coming forward he was pretty sound, he's got a physical presence and he looks like he's got a decent throw on him. It was his positioning at times that looked very dodgy to me, something that most castigated Peltier for last season. Again like the Peltier/Gallagher argument from last time, maybe it had more to do with Marshall meandering about than his own deficiencies.

Its good to be back.

I don't "belong" to a country called England, it just happens to be the land mass on which I was born and choose to reside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669