Speculation Leicester refused permission to talk to Pearson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pearson refused permission to talk to City?

Leicester to push ahead with Pearson pursuit despite opening rejection by Hull
By SPORTSMAIL REPORTER
Last updated at 10:17 PM on 6th November 2011

Leicester City will press ahead with their interest in Nigel Pearson this week despite an initial rebuttal from his club Hull.

Leicester asked permission to speak to the 48 year old but were denied by Hull's Egyptian owners who are keen to develop a strong working relationship that has seen an upturn in the club's fortunes of late.

However, it is understood Leicester will try again today and look to negotiate a compensation package of £400,000 should Hull relent.

Pearson is one of the best qualified coaches in the game and is regarded as one of the top young English managers. He left Leicester under a cloud in 2010 after a strained relationship with former owner Milan Mandaric and would regard a return as unfinished business - particularly with an ambitious new board in place.

Leicester have spoken to various candidates but believe Pearson has a good knowledge of the division and can get them promotion with more funds available in January.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...suit-despite-rebuttal-Hull.html#ixzz1cy3bzfF6

Last edited:

What about the players who have followed Pearson, would they be willing to come back too?

What about the players who have followed Pearson, would they be willing to come back too?

Feck that, judging by Fryatt's miss against Cardiff we are better off without :icon_lol:

I still can't help but think this would be a wrong move myself. I liked Pearson while he was here but this smacks of a wrong move to me. Judging by the *apparent* fact we have made an approach for Pearson I am assuming this means the MON deal is definately not going to happen. In which case, I hope we go for Billy Davies.

Leicester fight Tigers to bring back Pearson

Nigel Pearson wants to go back to Leicester City as manager – but faces a compensation battle with Hull.

Pearson is the Foxes choice to replace Sven Goran Eriksson and the respected Tigers boss is keen to return to the club he led to the play-offs in his last spell.

Mirror Sport revealed last Monday that Pearson was firmly in the frame for the job and he is now the leading candidate.

However, wealthy Leicester will have to pay around £350,000 in compensation to land Pearson, as Hull will have to find a successor quickly.

Pearson may resign to speed up the process, aware that Leicester have other options if there are snags with the move.

Pearson would be given a big contract – with a huge promotion bonus – if Leicester can pull off the coup.

He has said that he will make the decision for the good of his family, and the terms available are too good to refuse.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/new...Goran-Eriksson-replacement-article828159.html

If true, that last sentence suggests things are well underway.

Last edited:

As others have said.."is this really the best we can do"..Lets not look at the candidate being a "Championship" mananger,aren't we heading for the "Premiership" so lets go for someone with those on his CV,proven ability to manage at the top level,not to be found wanting once we get there.

Is it? Davies has far higher credentials than Pearson has in the Championship. He's been there time and again.

I'd much rather have Davies than go back to Pearson. Firstly it makes us a complete and utter laughing stock. Secondly, do you really think the level of entertainment will improve at home under a Pearson, cautious direct approach? We'll probably create less chances than we are doing now. Thirdly, Sol Bamba, a player who has entertained a lot of fans since he arrived with his risky and flamboyant style of play (that 9 times out of 10 actually pay off), will be dropped immediately. Fourthly, I can see January moves for the likes of Fryatt and Hobbs in the offing, is that something to get excited about?

Of all the names that were thrown into the hat after Sven got the boot, this is by far the most uninspiring of them all! When Sven went, I wanted a very good appointment to appease me. I'm sorry to say this would not be it. It's not as though I am a Pearson hater either, I'm grateful for what he did with the club during his time here but this is a very different club now, with a squad that is not suited to his style of play and in order to adapt, will mean wholesale changes (yet again) and that's not a thing we can afford to do. We need to be patient and maintain a squad that can gel with a couple of additions in certain areas. Not ripping it to shreds and starting and forking out money for players that have already had their time here (and I really think this will happen).

Pearson may get us to the Premier League in a couple of seasons time if her were to get the job but we won't be equipped to stay there with him at the helm and a squad and playing style that comes with him.

How do you know we won't be equipped to stay in the PL if we get there? I bet Stoke and Wolves fans would have said the same thing under Pulis and McCarthy.

Let's hope not. In fact, I'd much rather Pearson stayed put as well.

I'd take Hobbs back in a second given that it would be the Hobbs we saw under NP and not the one we saw under SGE. He was far better that season than Mills has been for us.

Last edited:
I'd take Hobbs back in a second given that it would be the Hobbs we saw under NP and not the one we saw under SGE. He was far better that season than Mills has been for us.

It was the Hobbs under Sousa that was woeful and not just in the Championship either, he couldn't even do the simple things right against Macclesfield in the cup. I would not blow away more than 5 million to bring back a player that isn't great.

And I'd keep Mills, after a shaky start I think he has proved his worth. You don't get 4 clean sheets in a row by being terrible

Is it? Davies has far higher credentials than Pearson has in the Championship. He's been there time and again.
Thirdly, Sol Bamba, a player who has entertained a lot of fans since he arrived with his risky and flamboyant style of play (that 9 times out of 10 actually pay off), will be dropped immediately. Fourthly, I can see January moves for the likes of Fryatt and Hobbs in the offing, is that something to get excited about?

Are you suggesting that Pearson would drop Bamba simply because of his style of play?
If Pearson had time to look at all of the recordings of Bamba would he see a single instance where an error by Bamba led to a goal?
How many examples would he see of Bamba stopping possible goal-scoring chances, and setting up counter attacks?
I think you would find dropping Bamba would provoke 'Pearson Out!' chants a lot quicker than the 'Megson Out!' chants started.

Leaving aside the comments about 'heart in mouth', I have not seen a single post suggesting that Bamba should not be the first pick centre back on every team sheet. Not because he is entertaining, but because he is a brilliant centre back.

Last edited:
It was the Hobbs under Sousa that was woeful and not just in the Championship either, he couldn't even do the simple things right against Macclesfield in the cup. I would not blow away more than 5 million to bring back a player that isn't great.

And I'd keep Mills, after a shaky start I think he has proved his worth. You don't get 4 clean sheets in a row by being terrible

I absolutely disagree about Mills, he looks nothing like a £5mil defender and has only really had a couple of good performance this season for me, he was poor again today. Absolutely nowhere near the player Hobbs was under Pearson imo.

Mills' transfer fee shouldn't matter as to whether we replace him or not, different manager who paid that out not the new one and you shouldn't keep a player in the side just because of his transfer fee. Reading fans told us when we signed him that he was an inconsistent and average Championship defender, some on here wrote it off as biterness, but I can't say I've seen anything from him to suggest they were wrong.

As for Bamba, he's been our best player so far this season for me, no reason why Pearson would drop him either imo, while Pearson may not appreciate his runs forward, he certainly appreciates physical, domineering "stoppers" who are unbeatable in the air, which Bamba fits perfectly.

Last edited:

I still think he would be the first to be dropped by Pearson and at a stretch given a few games to make a mistake before being dropped. The truth is, he doesn't fit with Pearson's cautious approach and he will want someone he can rely on to do exactly what he wants of them. Bamba is NOT that player. Therefore he will be sold.

We don't know that until we see it, personally I can quite easily see him sticking with Bamba if he comes and he was only cautious with us in the Championship because we couldn't afford attacking players. We were the top scorers in the country when we were in League One, because we could afford attacking players to get in. He also brought in flair players like Cleverley, Davies, N'Guessan and Spearing (regardless of ability, he certainly showed he did want flair players in his side) as well as creative midfielders like Wellens and Gallagher.

Last edited:
I absolutely disagree about Mills, he looks nothing like a £5mil defender and has only really had a couple of good performance this season for me, he was poor again today. Absolutely nowhere near the player Hobbs was under Pearson imo.

Mills' transfer fee shouldn't matter as to whether we replace him or not, different manager who paid that out not the new one and you shouldn't keep a player in the side just because of his transfer fee. Reading fans told us when we signed him that he was an inconsistent and average Championship defender, some on here wrote it off as biterness, but I can't say I've seen anything from him to suggest they were wrong.

As for Bamba, he's been our best player so far this season for me, no reason why Pearson would drop him either imo, while Pearson may not appreciate his runs forward, he certainly appreciates physical, domineering "stoppers" who are unbeatable in the air, which Bamba fits perfectly.

I don't know how you can say Mills had a particularly bad game today. We were very strong defensively and it took a screamer for them to score the only goal of the game. The reason we lost today was entirely because of the lack of chances we created in front of goal.

I don't know how you can say Mills had a particularly bad game today. We were very strong defensively and it took a screamer for them to score the only goal of the game. The reason we lost today was entirely because of the lack of chances we created in front of goal.

It was his poor clearance that led to the goal and McCormack was giving him the run around, especially in the first half where Leeds opened us up far too easily on the counter several times, nearly all through Mills' mistakes/poor positioning.

Not to mention, he also put Schmeichel under needless pressure with his sloppy pass backs on several occasions.

Mountains out of molehills springs to mind. Did not see anything calamitous in Mills' play today. The mistake made by Bamba on the halfway line was far worse than anything you've mentioned there.

Mountains out of molehills springs to mind. Did not see anything calamitous in Mills' play today. The mistake made by Bamba on the halfway line was far worse than anything you've mentioned there.

Yes! Passing the ball straight to Clayton for the goal in his attempted clearance was calamitous and cost us a point. If that was fantasy football you'd be wanting points for Mills' assist for their goal.

His conceding of 2 needless corners with wayward backpassing and allowing McCormack to waltz past him on several occasions in the second half also led to chances just as clear cut as Bamba's mistake on the half-way line.

Last edited:
Yes! Passing the ball straight to Clayton for the goal in his attempted clearance was calamitous and cost us a point. If that was fantasy football you'd be wanting points for Mills' assist for their goal.

Alan Young said Danns was to blame for not closing down Clayton. Danns couldn't do a thing right according to Young.

Stringer thought Young was going to give MotM to Mills. He gave it to Bamba.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669