Pre Match Leicester v Brighton

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the fact we start with one striker (vassell doesn't count) an we never have anoter on the bench (dyer doesn't count)... Get Schlupp in the side with neckties and play four four two

Kasper
Peltier, St Leger, Bamba, Konchesky
Danns, Fernandes, King, Wellens
Schlupp, Beckford

It's the fact we start with one striker (vassell doesn't count) an we never have anoter on the bench
What is?
(dyer doesn't count)...
Neither does Weale.
Get Schlupp in the side with neckties
:017: How will that help?!?
and play four four two
Because only a rigid 4-4-2 can win football matches? Formation means **** all in real football. Why do you think a magic number code can automatically guarantee victory?

Neckties is the iPhone equivalent for Beckford

And yes formation does matter.... 451 doesnt work for us, 442 deserves a try because we lack support up top.

Having a player like vassell as striker on his own is not working, why would you keep that? We need to change it.

I thought you would see that after watching leicester this season!

Neckties is the iPhone equivalent for Beckford
:icon_lol: I like it. Jermaine's new nickname from now on.
And yes formation does matter.... 451 doesnt work for us, 442 deserves a try because we lack support up top.

Having a player like vassell as striker on his own is not working, why would you keep that? We need to change it.

I thought you would see that after watching leicester this season!
You're missing the point. Football isn't dictated by the starting positions of the players on one side. As soon as a full back overlaps a winger, or a midfielder finds himself one on one with a keeper, or the left winger reaches the goal line, it's no longer 4-4-2. These number codes (that so many people spout to make it sound like they know football when they actually don't) say absolutely nothing about style of play. If you hear 4-4-2, do you think of a patient short passing game? Do you think of a high defensive line? Do you think of long balls into the corner for a striker to chase down? No. All I think of when I hear someone say '4-4-2' is Subbuteo - the only version of football where all the players stand still and therefore stay in formation for most of the game.

Actually I think of other things too but that's not relevant here.

All I think of when I hear someone say '4-4-2' is Subbuteo - the only version of football where all the players stand still and therefore stay in formation for most of the game.

...& Table football, BM.....

Last edited:
It is?

How does that work then?
B is next to N, F is underneath T, O is next to I, R is adjacent to E, D is next to S. iPhone's Auto Correct feature assumes the user has fat or clumsy fingers, in this case leading it to believe he'd spelt neckties wrong when in fact he was going for Beckford.

B is next to N, F is underneath T, O is next to I, R is adjacent to E, D is next to S. iPhone's Auto Correct feature assumes the user has fat or clumsy fingers, in this case leading it to believe he'd spelt neckties wrong when in fact he was going for Beckford.

Ahhhhhh!! I geddit now.

That'll teach me not to read random crap PM's from well-meaning but totally out of their depth moderators!!

Ahhhhhh!! I geddit now.

That'll teach me not to read random crap PM's from well-meaning but totally out of their depth moderators!!

Whateva!

Last edited:
I wouldn't smile too much Spion you have a visitor on his way:icon_bigg

My missus has taken Hayley down to the station to pick him up. S'pose I better get the bacon butties ready :icon_wink

:icon_lol: I like it. Jermaine's new nickname from now on.

You're missing the point. Football isn't dictated by the starting positions of the players on one side. As soon as a full back overlaps a winger, or a midfielder finds himself one on one with a keeper, or the left winger reaches the goal line, it's no longer 4-4-2. These number codes (that so many people spout to make it sound like they know football when they actually don't) say absolutely nothing about style of play. If you hear 4-4-2, do you think of a patient short passing game? Do you think of a high defensive line? Do you think of long balls into the corner for a striker to chase down? No. All I think of when I hear someone say '4-4-2' is Subbuteo - the only version of football where all the players stand still and therefore stay in formation for most of the game.

Actually I think of other things too but that's not relevant here.

Playing 442 involves different roles for the players... It is a big difference, 2 strikers instead of 1... More support in the box, and another man to aim at... Starting positions count, not just how they play when they get the ball

Playing 442 involves different roles for the players... It is a big difference, 2 strikers instead of 1... More support in the box, and another man to aim at... Starting positions count, not just how they play when they get the ball

It doesn't mean any of those things.

Compare the 4-4-2 Spain played in Euro2008 to the 4-4-2 that Stoke City play and they are almost polar opposites from each other in terms of style of play.

The idea that one up front makes the striker "isolated" and "doesn't give him support" is just nonsense, there are plenty of teams who play with no recognised striker that still score goals by the bucketload. Ditto there are also plenty of teams who play 4-4-2 who have one striker who is isolated up front (us under Pearson in the first half of our play-off season for one). It's not a case of having one more player to aim at, how many player you have to aim at is simply a case of which of the 10 other players on your team are in space or in good attacking positions on that particular individual attack.

If a striker is isolated its because he is not getting support from his players, but this is not because of some set formation. Formation is not inherently anything, it's not inherently attacking or defensive, it does not inherently isolate or give players support. These things all come about by the style in which the manager actually wants him to play, how the individual players interact with each other and on the tens of thousands of individual decisions the 22 players and 3 officials make between them over the course of 90 minutes. One 4-3-3 can give its striker excellent support whereas another can isolate them, but 4-3-3 in and itself does neither of those things.

If you think our style of play isn't working then for some reason fans think the formation is automatically to blame, but much, much more likely it's just the way we are interpreting the game withing that formation, rather than the actual formation. It could be that our wingers just need to give better support to our striker, it could be that we need to stop trying "hollywood passes," it could be that our defence need to stop passing the ball to the opposition, it could be that one of our midfielders isn't covering the defence enough, or isn't helping the attack enough, it could just be that our players had an off day and the opposition made much less mistakes on the day, it could be all of those things. I don't know, I don't claim to be some tactical mastermind like a lot of our fans do, but I'm certainly not going to jump to some conclusion that we shouldn't be playing some formation because we've lost a couple of games playing it.

Last edited:

However, if, as you should, you put a capital letter at the beginning of his name, it makes no effort to autocorrect it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570