Pre Match Leicester v Southampton

Status
Not open for further replies.

camberwell fox

I thought I would start this thread early to build up to another 'cup final'.

Our overall record v the Saints is:
w24, d26, l31

Our last 10 is:
w3, d1, l6

This is a 1:30pm Sunday kick off live on Sky (alone with all our other April games being televised). By the time we play we will know the results from:

Arsenal v Watford (looks like a home win).
Liverpool v Tottenham (tough to call).
Bournemouth v Man City (looks like an away win).

This will be a tough match as the Saints pulled off an excellent comeback against Liverpool turning round a 2-0 deficit to win 3-2, they are also in with a very good shout for European football.

I hope Liverpool do us a favour and beat Spurs as realistically I can only see Spurs overtaking us. Their traditional wobble doesn't look like materialising this season so we need to take care of our own results and keep taking 3 points whenever possible.

7 cup finals to go...

5 wins and 2 draws will win the league for sure but it is likely to be less than that required.

Couldn't ever have imagined posting that!

Hopefully all the players will return back to the club uninjured and ready for the final push to get us over the winning line Vardyis due a goal and we are due to concede one, as all games from here onin will be tough we will have to adapt our normal committment/attitute/desire, i think we will and that will be enough to secure a 2-1 win Vardy Okazaki

Last edited:
I really don't think we need to worry about Man City any more.

Southampton are a dangerous side and could realistically finish top 4 themselves IMO. Man City's place is well up for grabs and there are a few teams fighting for it. Being at home will definitely be an advantage here. Spurs have a nasty run in but I think they will edge past Liverpool. A point wouldn't be too bad. They will need the wins themselves so if they are more adventurous that might play into our hands. A hard fought draw last time, hopefully the fans can be that extra man to make the difference this time.

Team picks itself, barring injury in the current round of utterly pointless internationals

Long time to wait for this, which is a right pain

Games are getting really massive, Spurs are not letting up.

I've long since assumed that Spurs will win every game from now on.

I think I am going to take two weeks off following footy, as the more I listen and read about this title race the more nervous I feel about the next match, and the more and more convinced I am that Spurs will do it. Not good for my health!

Glyn your made of better stuff than that, we are City supporters we have experienced more shite than the Spurious know exists. They will fold long before us.

Must win. Let's be honest.

Nah. Let's stop this attitude. The fans were already getting tetchy at the Norwich game, let's not cause that to happen again.

We're 5 points clear with 7 games to go. All we need is to drop 4 points more than Spurs to win the title.

And let's stop the crap about the last 3 games being tough. This is a much tougher fixture than ManUtd and Everton atm (Everton? seriously? They're bottom half mediocrities with nothing to play for. Everton at home is probably our easiest remaining fixture, bar maybe Swansea).

I'd like it to make it easier for us and to win all our next 4 games in a row, but it's not likely and we shouldn't get on their backs if they do.

It's not a must win game and I hope our fans don't treat it as one and start getting nervy if we're not winning with half an hour to go. We need to get behind them, regardless of the state of the game, not go in nervous and put pressure on them. The crowd's nerves and frustrations come across, you could see that against Norwich.

What a ****ing stupid business football has become. The whole season is poised with fans up-and-down the country best-guessing how many points their favourites can get from the remaining games - championships, wooden spoons, promotion and relegation are all at stake - Easter is upon us with those very same fans having at least a couple of extra days off work when they could enjoy a match or two. So what does the game do? It shuts down for a fortnight to make way for some meaningless international friendlies. Meaningless international friendlies in which key players could be injured and forced out of the game for the rest of the season.

In living memory we used to be able to enjoy three games over the Easter weekend - do well in those three games and you could seal promotion or avoid relegation. Do badly and you were ****ed - like Luton were in 1971 (the year of my first experience of promotion/championship with City) when they had been challenging us all season but suddenly took zilch over Easter in three games including an embarrassing mauling from City on Easter Monday. (OK, I think we only got four points from our three games but it was the Easter games that finally settled the issues)

Lately we have only had a couple of games over the holiday period and that is probably more sensible. A home and an away game at a time when people actually have the time to enjoy them. But what have we got now? SFA - except concern for the fitness of our best players!

What are they doing to our game?

It's quite amusing to read about our amazing 'luck' with injuries, like it's absolutely nothing to do with the sports science; facilities; physios; time off the manager gives the players; individual player specific regimes (think Vardy and that chamber thing) and the day to day training Claudio and the staff do.

Granted, players could get injured in a match, maybe lucky in that sense. But I'm sure a lot of these methods are implemented at other clubs and I'm convinced that we do it better than most. I'm sure it isn't as "lucky" as everyone else seems to think.

The fact they think it's luck says a lot about why other clubs seem to suffer so many injuries.

Let them continue to think it, seems absurd people could be so silly when it's all about small margins etc etc

Apart from Matty James am I right in thinking that there haven't been any serious injuries for at least 3 years now and that over that same period the amount of game time lost to injury has been fairly low? If so that points to something more than luck.

Apart from Matty James am I right in thinking that there haven't been any serious injuries for at least 3 years now and that over that same period the amount of game time lost to injury has been fairly low? If so that points to something more than luck.

I can't recall a single injury crisis since Oearson first installed the sports science set up in 2008!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669