Loan Watch 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, DJ Campbell played for them.

He didn’t get enough of an opportunity. 4 goals in 9 games for Maidenhead Utd in 14/15. We could have done with goal scoring form like that during that season.

Of course any reasonable person knows that scoring 12 goals in 21 appearances for Sporting in 14/15 is far superior and not even a worthwhile comparison to 4 goals in 9, or any amount of goals for that matter, in any amount of appearances for Maidenhead Utd in Conference South.

I get your point, you think he's totally useless, but atleast make an appropriate comparison if you're going to make any at all. He may not be a world-beater but the stats don't lie, his record with us isn't the worst.

Of course any reasonable person knows that scoring 12 goals in 21 appearances for Sporting in 14/15 is far superior and not even a worthwhile comparison to 4 goals in 9, or any amount of goals for that matter, in any amount of appearances for Maidenhead Utd in Conference South.

I get your point, you think he's totally useless, but atleast make an appropriate comparison if you're going to make any at all. He may not be a world-beater but the stats don't lie, his record with us isn't the worst.

Presumably you're talking about Slimani?

That discussion moved to the loans thread two hours ago. Maybe it's your time zone...

Aye, almost as ridiculous as comparing him to Perez.

He scored 8 goals in 35 appearances in the league for us. He scored 0 goals in 4 league appearances for Newcastle. He scored 1 goal in 15 league appearances for Fenerbache. He may have found his level at Monaco although I doubt very much he will maintain 1 in 2 for them. It doesn't mean he was or will be any good for us. He needs filing in the 'What the **** were we thinking?' folder along with Silva, Ghezzal, Diabate and Musa.

I'd disagree. I don't think he's quite as bad as Musa, Ghezzal etc.

Newcastle he had a short half season loan and made only 4 appearances.

Perhaps it simply didn't work out for him in Turkey because at Monaco, he got 9 goals AND 7 assists in 19 appearances and I'd say that Ligue 1 is superior to the Turkish top league.

Those assists are important to note. Again, not saying he's God's gift, but he ain't all that bad.

Presumably you're talking about Slimani?

That discussion moved to the loans thread two hours ago. Maybe it's your time zone...

Yes this is all very confusing. City Fan had posted about Dj Campbell with a reference to Slimani so i picked this thread to respond. I'm not sure how i can take a quote from this thread and reply to it in another.

Aye, almost as ridiculous as comparing him to Perez.

It just isn't. You make it seem as if Perez has been here for years and is some sort of divine player. He's done okay since we signed him, in a single season, in which he's played pretty regularly vs Slimani who clearly was a panic-buy and never had a sniff of starting ahead of Vardy.

I'm not sure how i can take a quote from this thread and reply to it in another.

Highlight the bit you want to quote. Click on the +quote button. then go to the reply box in the thread you want to post in, and click on the insert quote button.

Or, quote it in the thread it's already in, but instead of posting it, copy the whole thing and post to the other thread.

why is the Slimani talk even in this thread? Slimani's loan is over seeing as the French season was cancelled

I'd disagree. I don't think he's quite as bad as Musa, Ghezzal etc.
If we are using stats from foreign leagues then Musa is dynamite. He isn't, by the way.
Newcastle he had a short half season loan and made only 4 appearances.
In which he scored zero goals and even they didn't want anything to do with keeping him.
Perhaps it simply didn't work out for him in Turkey
It didn't. Just like it hasn't here. They didn't want him as a result and neither should we.
... at Monaco, he got 9 goals AND 7 assists in 19 appearances
In those pub league games, he also managed to get booked 5 times and sent off once. He's not got the best temperament.
You make it seem as if Perez has been here for years and is some sort of divine player. He's done okay since we signed him, in a single season, in which he's played pretty regularly
No. The point is that Perez has only been with us a year and has played a very important role in getting us into Europe (of sorts), even when he's not started games. You are right about him playing more regularly; perhaps there's a reason for that. Comparing those two players is akin to comparing Arthur Lowe to a gherkin. It simply cannot be done with an ounce of credibility.

On top of all that, the guy is 32 and for most strikers, it's downhill from there. ****ing hell, this guy will end up under the soil if he descends much further into mediocrity.

Slimani played an important role in getting us to the CL QF though.

We're also only comparing their first seasons.

And both players were rumoured to have cost the same - £30m.

This doesn't mean that I think we should replace Perez with Slimani, but there are lots of similarities to compare to and it's funny you think one is really good and the other is useless.

Personally, I think both have been distinctly average for us. Certainly not the worst but nothing really to remember either by so far. As proven by their remarkably similar records.

Wibble

Not really interested in Slimani anymore but i'm bored so...

I felt a bit sorry for him at one point, he started well, scored some goals and looked threatening, but then didn't get much of a look in, whenever he did get another chance though he mostly looked disinterested, and at times it felt as though he and Vardy were refusing to pass to each other. He definitely seems to be a moody player too, even in his better games he seemed to get upset when he wasn't passed to, and would sulk and stop running.

I liked his physical and aggressive style and thought he could be the perfect partner for Vardy, but i don't think he was prepared to be back-up and support to Vardy.

If we are using stats from foreign leagues then Musa is dynamite. He isn't, by the way.

In which he scored zero goals and even they didn't want anything to do with keeping him.

It didn't. Just like it hasn't here. They didn't want him as a result and neither should we.

In those pub league games, he also managed to get booked 5 times and sent off once. He's not got the best temperament.

No. The point is that Perez has only been with us a year and has played a very important role in getting us into Europe (of sorts), even when he's not started games. You are right about him playing more regularly; perhaps there's a reason for that. Comparing those two players is akin to comparing Arthur Lowe to a gherkin. It simply cannot be done with an ounce of credibility.

On top of all that, the guy is 32 and for most strikers, it's downhill from there. ****ing hell, this guy will end up under the soil if he descends much further into mediocrity.

Poppy, you're manipulating what's being argued here. No one says Slimani is "dynamite," just that he isn't totally useless. My issue is unfair analysis of this

Musa's stats are mainly from the Russian League, which is also inferior to Portugal and France.

Newcastle did not go well, but are you suggesting he didn't get matches solely down to his crap performance in training and his huge total of 4 matches? How about the fact that it takes time to settle into a squad, you have to learn how they play etc. He was poor at Newcastle, but i think it's multivariate as to why.

I agree his temperament isn't the best. But why you keep calling Ligue 1 a "pub league" is beyond me. It's not as good quality wise, as the Premier League but it's not awful. is there any league you think is worthwhile apart from the PL?

The comparison with Perez is entirely justified. In fact Perez has been given a much bigger opportunity to do well. We don't actually know how well Slimani would've done given a proper run.

Perhaps you should get your "listening ears" on and realise that coming to the conclusion that Slimani didn't do well here solely because he's shit, is not correct.

There are multiple reasons as to why he's not been amazing, one of which might be that he's not good enough but others could include that Vardy is a God and isn't being displaced anytime soon OR that we don't actually play football to his strengths OR that he's a twat OR maybe it's because he doesn't get a run in the team because we think of him as a plan b.

I don't particularly like the guy. Think he's a bit of a donkey. But be fair. You're as bad as the BBC.

Poppy, you're manipulating what's being argued here. No one says Slimani is "dynamite," just that he isn't totally useless. My issue is unfair analysis of this

Musa's stats are mainly from the Russian League, which is also inferior to Portugal and France.

Newcastle did not go well, but are you suggesting he didn't get matches solely down to his crap performance in training and his huge total of 4 matches? How about the fact that it takes time to settle into a squad, you have to learn how they play etc. He was poor at Newcastle, but i think it's multivariate as to why.

I agree his temperament isn't the best. But why you keep calling Ligue 1 a "pub league" is beyond me. It's not as good quality wise, as the Premier League but it's not awful. is there any league you think is worthwhile apart from the PL?

The comparison with Perez is entirely justified. In fact Perez has been given a much bigger opportunity to do well. We don't actually know how well Slimani would've done given a proper run.

Perhaps you should get your "listening ears" on and realise that coming to the conclusion that Slimani didn't do well here solely because he's shit, is not correct.

There are multiple reasons as to why he's not been amazing, one of which might be that he's not good enough but others could include that Vardy is a God and isn't being displaced anytime soon OR that we don't actually play football to his strengths OR that he's a twat OR maybe it's because he doesn't get a run in the team because we think of him as a plan b.

I don't particularly like the guy. Think he's a bit of a donkey. But be fair. You're as bad as the BBC.
I know what I saw. A lumbering oaf with very little to his game. You're right, there are probably lots of reasons for that, but I don't want to see him anywhere near out first team squad again, he was that bad. At no point did I ever see him and think, 'there's a player in there'. It was pretty much always 'look at him charging around again giving away foul after foul. Cart horse of a duffer'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363