Loan Watch 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feel free to disprove anything I have said or claimed with facts.

“It would be our second ever highest finish in about 140yrs though.”

Well, that was hard.

“It would be our second ever highest finish in about 140yrs though.”

Well, that was hard.

Touché.

I very much doubt any current fan witnessed any of our other successful finishes though.

Can you enlighten me as to when they were?

Touché.

I very much doubt any current fan witnessed any of our other successful finishes though.

Can you enlighten me as to when they were?
I don’t need to. My point is proven.

x

But despite being absolutely woeful, he's scored the same amount as Perez has in his first season but in less games.....

0.41 goals per appearance across top flight leagues in 3 different countries would also suggest he is not a complete duffer, even more so when about a third of his appearances have been as a sub.

He might not be the world's best striker but he could have provided a different option for us at times which has desperately been needed.
You are comparing Slimani to Perez?
Without irony?
Having watched them both play for us?
Are you broken? Lets compare Silva to Ndidi while we're at it and Musa to Vardy. Like I say, there's a reason players aren't 'given a chance'. Do you think managers look at players in training and think 'he's great - let's not play him' or is it more likely they think 'he's shit - let't not play him'.

That woeful that he still managed to rack up 8 goals in 15 starts.
The way he is spoken about makes him sound as bad as Akinbiyi, Cresswell or Benjamin.
He scored 8 goals in 35 appearances in the league for us. He scored 0 goals in 4 league appearances for Newcastle. He scored 1 goal in 15 league appearances for Fenerbache. He may have found his level at Monaco although I doubt very much he will maintain 1 in 2 for them. It doesn't mean he was or will be any good for us. He needs filing in the 'What the **** were we thinking?' folder along with Silva, Ghezzal, Diabate and Musa.

Even the man that scouted Slimani didn't want us to sign him (Steve Walsh).

He was only signed as a panic move when Ranieri thought Vardy was going to Arsenal or somewhere else.

We massively overpaid for him due to this.

None of that is the fault of Slimani. I've always been okay with him because we never played a style or system to aid him. He was never going to play regularly. If he did, as has been suggested, rub a few of his teammates up the wrong way, maybe all the above has something to do with it.

There will be several on here who saw our 1962/63 season. And I thought our second place finish in 1929 was well known.

Definitely

I didn't witness it, but my dad did and would talk about it all the time

I naively assumed that every fan would know about that season - and ‘29 for that matter. Massive part of our history

But there again, I believe football was actually invented in 1992, so what do I know...

There will be several on here who saw our 1962/63 season. And I thought our second place finish in 1929 was well known.
What about our 3rd place finish in 1928?

You are comparing Slimani to Perez?
Without irony?
Having watched them both play for us?
Are you broken? Lets compare Silva to Ndidi while we're at it and Musa to Vardy. Like I say, there's a reason players aren't 'given a chance'. Do you think managers look at players in training and think 'he's great - let's not play him' or is it more likely they think 'he's shit - let't not play him'.
Well they are both attackers and both have scored the same amount of goals in their first season with us, one has just done it in few games/minutes than the other.

I just find it interesting that you class one as useless and the other as really good.

They are both very different attackers in terms of their style of play but it is the job of attacking players to score so it seems a logical comparison.

Slimani doesn't really fit our style of play now but I'm sure many have also been criticising Rodgers for being too one dimensional. Slimani's physicality and airial threat could have certainly offered an alternative approach for us at times, especially as we like to put so many crosses in.

0.41 (better than 1 in 3) goals per start/sub appearance is also not a stat of a useless striker.

I don't think we should bring him back and start every game next season before you take it to that extreme, but he is not completely useless.

Well they are both attackers and both have scored the same amount of goals in their first season with us, one has just done it in few games/minutes than the other.

I just find it interesting that you class one as useless and the other as really good.

They are both very different attackers in terms of their style of play but it is the job of attacking players to score so it seems a logical comparison.

Slimani doesn't really fit our style of play now but I'm sure many have also been criticising Rodgers for being too one dimensional. Slimani's physicality and airial threat could have certainly offered an alternative approach for us at times, especially as we like to put so many crosses in.

0.41 (better than 1 in 3) goals per start/sub appearance is also not a stat of a useless striker.

I don't think we should bring him back and start every game next season before you take it to that extreme, but he is not completely useless.

I'd have to agree with this. Of course if we'd been playing better this half of the season then i don't think this conversation would even have been had.

BR has been so bereft of a plan B that it's making us look at our wider resources.

You're right - he's not completely useless - or atleast as awful as some make out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363