London Marathon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leesoh

Four weeks today, I will be running in this year's London Marathon.

Some of you have already noticed my sig (many thanks to Disco Bob and Siousxie) but I am raising money for Asthma UK.

Why Asthma UK?
Around 5.2m people in the UK have the condition, including myself. As well as finding a cure, Asthma UK raise awareness of the condition. I cannot find the statistics, but there are a large number of deaths each year, most of which are preventable. This isn't just the self-inflicted either, it's lack of awareness of new drugs and therapies that would be of benefit.

Why the London Marathon?
I have watched this race since I was a child, and seeing people who have overcome more difficulties in life than I will hopefully ever face has inspired me.

I have always loved sport, but thought I was pretty crap at school due to my lack of fitness. It wasn't until I was 17 that I found out that my "lack of fitness" was in fact asthma. Since then, and receiving the right treatment, I have taken up running. I enjoy it, and it's improved my lung strength and increased my peak flow. Whilst I'm no Paula Radcliffe (who has the same type of asthma as me, and is patron of Asthma UK - shame she pulled out), my aim is to finish in under 4 1/2 hours.

I would appreciate it if you would take the time to visit my sponsorship page and sponsor me. It doesn't matter who much or how little, every bit counts, and hopefully one day, asthma will be a thing of the past. I wouldn't wish this on anyone, and I'm one of the "lucky" ones!

For those on Facebook, I have a support page - here. Please feel free to join!

Many thanks.

:038: you have more initiative than i will ever have! i hope it all goes well for you :icon_bigg

Last edited:
Are people really that ignorant?

i must admit i never say it as anything nearly as dangerous as it is, maybee the people i know that have it just have milder forms?

Ask yourself why there are still schools which don't allow their pupils immediate access to their inhalers.

Ask yourself why there are still schools which don't allow their pupils immediate access to their inhalers.
I understand your point, but I've seen first hand pupils abusing their inhalers - everybody having a go on them for example - so I can understand why some pupils have to ask for them if needed.

I understand your point, but I've seen first hand pupils abusing their inhalers - everybody having a go on them for example - so I can understand why some pupils have to ask for them if needed.

I'm not talking about inhalers being locked up for safety - I've no problem with that. I'm talking about undue delay when their use is required.

Some of you have already noticed my sig (many thanks to Disco Bob and Siousxie) but I am raising money for Asthma UK.

Why Asthma UK?
Around 5.2m people in the UK have the condition, including myself. As well as finding a cure, Asthma UK raise awareness of the condition. I cannot find the statistics, but there are a large number of deaths each year, most of which are preventable. This isn't just the self-inflicted either, it's lack of awareness of new drugs and therapies that would be of benefit.

Why the London Marathon?
I have watched this race since I was a child, and seeing people who have overcome more difficulties in life than I will hopefully ever face has inspired me.

I have always loved sport, but thought I was pretty crap at school due to my lack of fitness. It wasn't until I was 17 that I found out that my "lack of fitness" was in fact asthma. Since then, and receiving the right treatment, I have taken up running. I enjoy it, and it's improved my lung strength and increased my peak flow. Whilst I'm no Paula Radcliffe (who has the same type of asthma as me, and is patron of Asthma UK - shame she pulled out), my aim is to finish in under 4 1/2 hours.

I would appreciate it if you would take the time to visit my sponsorship page and sponsor me. It doesn't matter who much or how little, every bit counts, and hopefully one day, asthma will be a thing of the past. I wouldn't wish this on anyone, and I'm one of the "lucky" ones!

For those on Facebook, I have a support page - here. Please feel free to join!

Many thanks.

I will be running too but for a cancer charity. Very nervous about it but hope to get round somehow. Ive managed 17 miles so far :)

Yes but i dont want to hijack LeeH's thread.

Good luck LeeH :023:
Start your own then. All charities need money, you need inspiration. Don't let pride get in the way.

If the charity is worthwhile, you'll get sponsored

Last edited:
Start your own then. All charities need money, you need inspiration. Don't let pride get in the way.

If the charity is worthwhile, you'll get sponsored

I might just do that.

Its for LOROS. They looked after a friend of mine who was terminally ill and made him as comfortbale as poosible through his final days. I cant speak highly enough of them.

They're here - http://www.asthma.org.uk/news_media/media_resources/for_1.html

That's a lot of deaths for a condition that most non-sufferers think of as just a minor irritation.

And I think you need to raise your target - you're over half way there already.
Thanks a lot! My number is 13774, and I'm going from the "blue start" - hope that's not an omen!

Yes. I was once dragged out of a nightclub by my feet after collapsing in a toilet. The bouncers thought I'd taken something, despite my mates telling them I was having an asthma attack and needed an ambulance. It was undignified and uncalled for, and I never had an apology, even after writing to complain. My letter was never even acknowledged.

Does that mean you piss in the gutter by the cutty sark?
I was planning on waiting until The Mall!! Thanks very much, BTW!

I will be running too but for a cancer charity. Very nervous about it but hope to get round somehow. Ive managed 17 miles so far :)
Good luck! :038: I've managed 20 miles, but I still can't get over the fact I'll be running for another hour after that! Get yersen a page going - if you don't ask, you don't get!

Thanks guys!!

You're welcome.

Giving money to someone else helps ease my guilty conscience that I'm too unfit to get out there and do it myself :icon_bigg

My daughter is one of the many with an inhaler.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670