Mahrez

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a cult like attitude to Mahrez from a section of fans where no matter what you must only sing his praises, he was fine today no better than that

He was perfectly fine today. Better than most. Of course, it's fashionable to make him the scapegoat even when there's no sense to it.

Was it the sort of performance you'd expect from the greatest player to ever wear the shirt?

He was perfectly fine today. Better than most. Of course, it's fashionable to make him the scapegoat even when there's no sense to it.

He's supposed to be better than most - he's supposed to be a world top 15 player. He earns the money that says he has to be better than most.

He's supposed to be better than most - he's supposed to be a world top 15 player. He earns the money that says he has to be better than most.
What? You think he earns the same money as one of the top 15 players in the world? Do you think that this makes any difference to the way his game was strangled earlier in the season by management?

What? You think he earns the same money as one of the top 15 players in the world? Do you think that this makes any difference to the way his game was strangled earlier in the season by management?
People like you make out he is one of the absolute best so don't get upset if people then demand HE backs it up, maybe if his fan boys stopped overhyping every step over we'd all find a happy medium.

Mahrez was fine today, average if you prefer

Reactions: FIF
People around us today were shouting take him off, get Gray on, get rid etc, yet walking back to the car Man C fans said to us what a great player he is and that they would love him in their side.

I thought we didn't use him enough today especially first half, and that he played well, always a threat and tracked back well.

It'll be a sad day if he leaves but at least the moaners will be happy

Do you filter out the pundits who remark on him not being as effective as last year? I've certainly heard criticism of Mahrez from commentators, ex pros that know the game far better than I do.

You seem take all criticism of Mahrez, fair or otherwise, as damning indictment and respond with sweeping statements. We'll never all agree, where'd the fun be in that :)
Well, my point about punditry was clearly about today's game, not the season as a whole as you have somehow extrapolated. The responses I've seen thus far from such pundits (albeit few) have all been mostly positive and it will be interesting to see whether that continues tonight.

I don't think criticism of any player is unfair if it is merited and that includes Mahrez. I've made this perfectly clear numerous times in numerous threads; he's frustrated me this season as he has others. My point is quite the opposie in fact, that most of the criticism of him has been unfounded hyperbole based on spurious ideas about and 'sweeping statements' about arrogance and effort. Totally unfounded bollocks of course but presented as fact nonetheless.

I can criticise his performances and have done so on many occassions but in a reasoned and rational way. My 'argument' is not really about this anyway, more the idea that it would in someway be a 'good' thing if we let him go. It wouldn't. Letting your best asset go without a fight or without question on the basis of one season in which he struggled, a season in which nearly all of his team mates struggled, a season in which he was more closely watched by the opposition and more closely scrutinised by his own fans, a season in which the club lost its manager and it's way.... well, that would be madness wouldn't it?

People around us today were shouting take him off, get Gray on, get rid etc, yet walking back to the car Man C fans said to us what a great player he is and that they would love him in their side.

I thought we didn't use him enough today especially first half, and that he played well, always a threat and tracked back well.

It'll be a sad day if he leaves but at least the moaners will be happy
Precisely this. Especially paragraph 2 which is so on point. This sentiment of this paragraph is what some people find so difficult to grasp because it is all too easy just to call him lazy or arrogant instead.

Precisely this. Especially paragraph 2 which is so on point. This sentiment of this paragraph is what some people find so difficult to grasp because it is all too easy just to call him lazy or arrogant instead.

Can't see that anyone that has called him lazy or arrogant

But I suppose it's all too easy to pretend that they have

For me it's quite simple. It'll be an absolute sickener if/when he leaves, but it seems a number of fans are quite happy to see the back of him. That's what I don't understand.

For me it's quite simple. It'll be an absolute sickener if/when he leaves, but it seems a number of fans are quite happy to see the back of him. That's what I don't understand.

If that's your opinion then that's absolutely fine, and I can completely understand it.

But surely you're not so blinkered as to not be able to understand why some people feel it's best for both parties if there was a separation of ways this summer? Even if you don't agree with it?

Certainly can understand it. If the player wants to leave (he probably does) then you really aren't left with much choice. But the club won't be able to replace him with similar quality (I'm not having this Gray nonsense) and it will be a massive loss.

I didn't extrapolate. I knew full well what you were saying. I asked you a related question.

I find it odd that you class your own opinions as reasoned and yet other peoples are bollocks. You say you're as frustrated at Mahrez's performances as anyone else is yet accuse the forum of melt down when someone is critical of him. Mahrez can do no right for a couple of people here, it's true, but by and large people are, as you say, simply frustrated. Mahrez offers so much, and we look to him perhaps too often, and so people understandably feel let down by him not delivering as we know he can.

Maybe you feel it's your place to defend Mahrez in the face of this, I don't know, but you don't need to. Honestly, I don't feel you're seeing anything that others don't see; Mahrez unfairly carries the can (as someone worded it earlier) for fan's frustration, frustration born of expectation.

I don't want him to go either but I do sometimes feel that perhaps, for his own game, he perhaps ought move on. Maybe he'd flourish with less expectation on him. He was equally criticised by fans at his previous club, Le Havre, so perhaps Mahrez needs a bigger stage still?

In your regular defence of him you do come across, to me at least, a little like a one eyed fan boy. You acknowledge he frustrates you too so I assume you can place the criticism that others regularly make of him in a similar category. I know I do.
Again, you've completely missed the point.

I don't profess my opinions of him as a player or of any specific performances this season to be any more reasoned than or valid than anyone else's. I was suggesting that my criticism of him is based on more than him being 'lazy or a 'show pony', both of which have been attributed to him time and time again by some, yes some, posters.

I'm not 'defending' him (whatever it is you mean by this) as I don't think there's anything to 'defend' and if there was, I'm really in no position to do it! My point is and has always been about those few who think that we would somehow be better off if he left or that we should look to cash in. He's pretty irreplaceable for a club like us.

You say yourself 'Mahrez unfairly carries the can...for fan's frustration, frustration born of expectation' and yet for some reason you don't seem to understand why I, among many, get a little bored and peeved with this and comment upon it. You can think what you like about him as can I. You can comment about him as you please, as can I. You can accuse me of being a 'one eyed fanboy' (a ludicrous, unnecessary and childish phrase I would expect of others sadly, but not from you) but you seem to be unable to grasp the premise of what I am suggesting. I am totally at ease with criticism of Mahrez; his indecisiveness, his lack of goals, his passing accuracy have all frustrated me, you and many others this season. However, my argument is, has been and will continue to be that there are a huge amount of factors at play to cause this, a lot of which lie with the poor management of the team for the first two-thirds of the season and not in his 'attitude' as has been levied at him by some posters on here time and time and time again.

If the question is, should Leicester do everything in their power to convince him to stay then the answer is an unequivocal 'yes'. This is a no brainer. Others would be happy to answer 'no' to this question and take a handful of cash to wave him on his way, happy in the knowledge they will probably (likely) not see a player his ability in a Leicester shirt again or for a very long time at least. Therein lies the real argument and the one I am now bored of. Really this time

Certainly can understand it. If the player wants to leave (he probably does) then you really aren't left with much choice. But the club won't be able to replace him with similar quality (I'm not having this Gray nonsense) and it will be a massive loss.

as one who wouldn't mind him going at all - I don't expect us to ever see a player of his quality (2015/16 Mahrez) playing for us ever again. If I was asked if I would be happy to see him go last summer then it would have definitely been a no. For whatever reason this year (alleged lack of effort, regtetting staying, or the inability to shake off the fictitious opposition marking trio or whatever other excuse he's not doing us or himself any favours by sticking around.

But surely you're not so blinkered as to not be able to understand why some people feel it's best for both parties if there was a separation of ways this summer? Even if you don't agree with it?
It may very well be the best thing for Mahrez. For us, I will admit that I find it impossible to understand why any fan would be 'happy' with his departure. If that makes me blinkered so be it.

Shit, I said I was done with this thread.... I am now (I hope)..... must not open thread.... must not open thread.... must not open thread....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566