Speculation Major Shake-Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJN-Fox

Last edited:
Hopefully the owners are starting to realise you need someone other than shopkeepers to run a football club.

It'd be nice if they remembered you also need fans too.

Unfortunately, fans who wish to turn up at a football ground are now seen as an inconvenience. It is much easier if you could just sign up for Sky and order the club's tat from the shop by credit card!

I wouldn't have thought that NP is the sort of manager to work well with a Director of Football.

It becomes clearer that the strategy being followed is in sharp contrast to the heady but ultimately futile days of Sven. By the new yardstick Pearson is doing his job - cutting costs whilst remaining sort of competitive. All this is within the context of so called "financial fair play" which is anything but fair because the Premier League doesn't want to know and gives the relegated clubs massive parachute money.

I doubt if there will be any joy out of this - except in terms of staunching the financial losses - but I can see the logic and even possibly the necessity. I doubt if it will sell too many seats but as the OF points out that may not be a paramount issue anyway.

I wouldn't have thought that NP is the sort of manager to work well with a Director of Football.

But isn't Pearson's job to see out his contract and reduce costs.

I think he will do that....and then not have his contract renewed as the owners bring in a more 'modern' manager.

Smacks of a way to unsettle Pearson imo as these DoF people only seem to be put in place when owners aren't happy with a manager but don't want to sack him for whatever reason.

Normally would say its bollocks but its come from a decent source so must be something in it.

Keegan DoF, Wilkins training them and Willie McKay picking up some deals. Yes please.

I wouldn't necessarily write it off as a move against Pearson. It's clear that we are missing a competent link between management playing staff and the board (over-paid wages and transfer fees etc.)

Other clubs have shown that it's not a bad thing having a DoF or MD provided they know the market. Reading, West Brom and Swansea all have 'public' managing directors who look after a lot of the non-playing side and work in conjunction with the manager. It gives a degree of continuation regardless of the manager.

I wouldn't necessarily write it off as a move against Pearson. It's clear that we are missing a competent link between management playing staff and the board (over-paid wages and transfer fees etc.)

Other clubs have shown that it's not a bad thing having a DoF or MD provided they know the market. Reading, West Brom and Swansea all have 'public' managing directors who look after a lot of the non-playing side and work in conjunction with the manager. It gives a degree of continuation regardless of the manager.

Exactly.

My reading of this is that it isn't someone who'll be getting involved in NP's day to day management, but will provide a bit of experience and a proper link between the owners and the football team.

on the moan in speculation that ex Sheff Weds director Dave Richards to be next chairman

Last edited:

Doesn´t seem that long ago that we had a DoF.

Wasn´t it Bertie Basset?:icon_roll

Didn't we have Howard Wilkinson too to complete the dream team?

If it's that sort of DoF then it could spell trouble for Pearson imo but after reading more about it, it seems more of a business appointment rather than another manager type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566