Mandaric Arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.
This, a press conference with Redknapp, seems to give the clearest indication of what this investigation is about.

As I read it, providing the payment to the Agent by the club was declared and in order it comes down solely to the agent making a payment to Faye. I read somewhere else yesterday that the agent has said he provided a 'loan' to Faye at the time.

The dawn raids seem dramatic if this is all it is...

from Guardian online
"Harry Redknapp today said that the investigation into alleged football corruption is "nothing whatsoever to do with me", and that he was "bitterly disappointed" police had turned up at his home at 6am when his wife was there alone.
The Portsmouth manager was one of five men - including Pompey's chief executive, Peter Storrie, and the club's former owner Milan Mandaric - arrested yesterday by police investigating alleged bungs in the game.

But at today's press conference, an emotional Redknapp claimed that police had targeted him to "raise the profile" of their investigation. "I still feel I was only called in because I have a high profile, I add a bit of a profile to the investigation," said Redknapp. "This has nothing whatsoever to do with me."
Redknapp revealed he had been questioned regarding agents' fees. "The whole crux of the meeting was the fact that an agent had been paid an agent's fee and had paid some of the money to the player," he said. "I was wondering what I was doing there, I'm not involved in what an agent and a player does. I'm not involved."

The treatment of his wife, however, was the prime source of Redknapp's ire. "I was particularly disappointed that the police should come knocking on my door with photographers from a well-known tabloid newspaper," he said. "[My wife] was absolutely petrified and if that's the way to treat someone that's not the world I was brought up in."

This, a press conference with Redknapp, seems to give the clearest indication of what this investigation is about.

As I read it, providing the payment to the Agent by the club was declared and in order it comes down solely to the agent making a payment to Faye. I read somewhere else yesterday that the agent has said he provided a 'loan' to Faye at the time.

The dawn raids seem dramatic if this is all it is...

from Guardian online
"Harry Redknapp today said that the investigation into alleged football corruption is "nothing whatsoever to do with me", and that he was "bitterly disappointed" police had turned up at his home at 6am when his wife was there alone.
The Portsmouth manager was one of five men - including Pompey's chief executive, Peter Storrie, and the club's former owner Milan Mandaric - arrested yesterday by police investigating alleged bungs in the game.

But at today's press conference, an emotional Redknapp claimed that police had targeted him to "raise the profile" of their investigation. "I still feel I was only called in because I have a high profile, I add a bit of a profile to the investigation," said Redknapp. "This has nothing whatsoever to do with me."
Redknapp revealed he had been questioned regarding agents' fees. "The whole crux of the meeting was the fact that an agent had been paid an agent's fee and had paid some of the money to the player," he said. "I was wondering what I was doing there, I'm not involved in what an agent and a player does. I'm not involved."

The treatment of his wife, however, was the prime source of Redknapp's ire. "I was particularly disappointed that the police should come knocking on my door with photographers from a well-known tabloid newspaper," he said. "[My wife] was absolutely petrified and if that's the way to treat someone that's not the world I was brought up in."

Okay, so does this mean that people should still carry on speculating about the imminent collapse of LCFC because of this investigation?

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The sky is falling down! HEEEEEELLLLLP!!!!!!!
Oh wait now, no it's okay, the sky isn't falling down, it was the peak on my blue mongie baseball cap confusing me.

This doesn't appear to be anywhere near as bad as Tashinaqua,and that hasn't affected him or Man City really

Exactly Beighton.

The great probability is that this will be a complex matter - it will run for a long time - we and the media will become tired of it - and it will go nowhere.

I am much more concerned about the fact that we have a huge squad -but with no creativity in midfield and so called strikers who are about as prone to injuries as match stick men.

Exactly Beighton.

The great probability is that this will be a complex matter - it will run for a long time - we and the media will become tired of it - and it will go nowhere.

I am much more concerned about the fact that we have a huge squad -but with no creativity in midfield and so called strikers who are about as prone to injuries as match stick men.

Cheer up Redditch. At least we have a capable Keeper and the best defence in the league. :icon_wink

These sort of allegations and investigations in football are nothing new.

Neither is it new for the police to indulge in these "pre-dawn" arrests. Very unpleasant,unnecessary and uncivilised behaviour indeed by the fuzz. Same sort of stuff as the 'cash for honours' investigation fiasco. How many people were actually charged? None.

I am sure that this is very distressing for Milan - especially at his age, but hopefully nothing more serious will come of it.

Unlike some, I do not wallow in the misfortune of others; neither do I enjoy doom and gloom.

I hope that Milan will be given a rousing reception at the Southampton game....in spite of my moanings about missed opportunities since he took over - he is still our best and possibly only hope for making progress.

I agree. I am sure that opposition fans especially Southampton, will have some unsavoury chants. I very much hope that Leicester fans will support Milan.

We really don't know what is going on.

All we know is the line of questioning that Redknapp was subject to (i.e. payment from an agent to a player.

We don't know what Milan was questioned about. but we do know that a police spokesperson said that the questioning directed specifically towards him included allegations of money laundering...

Whilst we don't know the outcome of such questioning it would be extremely foolish to not take this seriously.

He's our chairman, it affects us...why would expressing concern make anyone a 'blue mongie' whatever the hell that means.

Believeing that everything is hunky dory is perhaps extremely nieve.

Last edited:

Take a Valium Silver & just keep repeating that to yourself.

The worst thing to come from this whole affair is the fact that it's become very tedious, very quickly.

All we know is the line of questioning that Redknapp was subject to (i.e. payment from an agent to a player.

We don't know what Milan was questioned about. but we do know that a police spokesperson said that the questioning directed specifically towards him included allegations of money laundering...

Whilst we don't know the outcome of such questioning it would be extremely foolish to not take this seriously.

He's our chairman, it affects us...why would expressing concern make anyone a 'blue mongie' whatever the hell that means.

Believeing that everything is hunky dory is perhaps extremely nieve.

I'd agree with you except that these issues have been have around for ages and generally ultimately float away into the ether.

The police economic unit (and yes I have some experience of their work, not directly aimed at my good self I might add) come charging in with their dawn raids; frighten normal people; take away the files; then find they can't substantiate allegations. I guess this is almost certainly the most difficult type of police forensic work and most probably they will eventually back off from pursuing the great and the good.

Totally hypothetically of course and completely without prejudice I would think that players and agents could - in the general, and quite unrelated to this particular situation - be more vulnerable in these situations, only because of the culture of football and the environment in which transfers are arranged.

I agree. I am sure that opposition fans especially Southampton, will have some unsavoury chants. I very much hope that Leicester fans will support Milan.

We will. After all, you can still hear the 'Lennie, Lennie Glover, Lennie Glover on the wing...' chants even after what he did :)

I'd agree with you except that these issues have been have around for ages and generally ultimately float away into the ether.

'tis true. However, the thing that worries me here for the future of the club is that MM once got involved (and was named) in an American tax avoidance scheme that drifted towards evasion. So he's almost certainly known (in a bad way) to the US revenue. Since MM is an American citizen he is liable for US income and capital gains taxes worldwide and I reckon that some of the talk about the ownership of players and their transfers, and the sale of ownership of Pompey might excite their interest. And again not in a good way. At my most cynical, it seems that it does no harm for the US and the UK to find a new Serbian villain just as the question of Kosovo comes up again.

So, let me just clarify, even though we do not know the nature of the discussions, the wording of the arrest or the probable outcome it is imperative that we take it all very seriously?

And, judging by your posts, to to show that we take it seriously we must put an angry smilie at the end of every post?

OK.

Grr. Blimey. This is terrible. Down with this sort of thing. :cake:

I think I may have to practice, it's not coming naturally.

I heard on the radio today, that all of the chaps arrested yeserday don't have to go back to the cop shop until FEBRUARY 2008, so it sounds like they don't have much to go on.

With that in mind, I guess it will blow over, like the Chimbonda thing in September.

Knowing, as we all do, that football is about as straight as horse racing or the Tour de France, I'd be amazed if MM hasn't at some point been involved in something that wasn't strictly by the book. Same goes for most players, agents, directors, or anyone else involved in football.

Or maybe I'm too cynical?

Knowing, as we all do, that football is about as straight as horse racing or the Tour de France, I'd be amazed if MM hasn't at some point been involved in something that wasn't strictly by the book. Same goes for most players, agents, directors, or anyone else involved in football.

Or maybe I'm too cynical?

You mean horse racing is crooked? No wonder I always lose. Pretty hard to have a straight Tour de France though, there's all those Alps in the way. :035: :114:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669