Mark Speight

Status
Not open for further replies.
his bird was extremely fit

When i heard he had been found dead at Paddington Station i assumed that scheduled engineering works had once again encountered a serious over-run

This one might well have argued itself out but it's equally sad and interesting. In response to the themes running through the thread I'd say the following:

1) His fiancee died in a scalding bath with alcohol, cocaine and sleeping pills in her blood. That combination of substances and events killed her.

2) It is sad when anyone takes their own life and without knowing them or their circumstances it is impossible to label them as cowardly or anything else.

3) The death figures are interesting but my anecdotal experience of A&E ,and that of mates who work as doctors nurses and psychiatrists, is that the drug that puts the most people through hospital doors is alcohol. Any A&E department on Friday or Saturday night will be busier than other times of the week.

4) If drugs were legalised the quality of substances could be regulated, tax could be raised, treatment could be administerd, better medical studies could be carried out and people running the drugs trade in the UK would suddenly have a large stream of income taken away from them. That would have to be balanced against the perceived risk of increased drug use. On that basis I reckon legalisation of drugs makes sense.

you forgot to add to the 1st point about him finding her dead in the bath and then being arrested on suspicion of having something to do with it and him not being able to grieve properly because of the questioning

When i heard he had been found dead at Paddington Station i assumed that scheduled engineering works had once again encountered a serious over-run

Apparently he was found in a deserted and little used part of the station..I've been there as well, the ticket office is never staffed properly........

True YV, he was released without charge though. If I was a betting man I would say he was beating himself up about it.

I hadn't considered the affect of the police on his grief. Chronically depressed people rarely commit suicide at their lowest point because they are usually incapable of the thought or actions required then. Its on the way "up" or "down" from the lowest point that people are most likely to kill themselves. As grieving is a cyclical process it may well be his friends and family thought he was coping well enough to be left on his own. Pure conjecture though.

I feel sorry for him, but my overriding feeling at the moment is hunger. So I'm off to the shops for a cheese and ham cob.

From BBC

TV host Speight was found hanged

Missing TV presenter Mark Speight was found hanging on a building adjacent to Paddington railway station, British Transport Police have said.

Station staff found a body, believed to be that of the 42-year-old, hanging on the roof of MacMillan House on Sunday. The body was out of public view.

it is impossible to label them as cowardly or anything else.
Not when you've experienced it, not when you have to deal with what's left behind, not when you see your family pulled all over the place, not when you see blame dished out, not when you see marriages breaking up because of it. Not when somebody can't cope, but leaves everybody else to cope with even more shit, not when a child never gets to meet his Grandad because he killed himself, not when children have to grow up early to look after their grieving Mother, not when you leave your family destitute and penniless and them to live in nigh on poverty, not when you leave your wife to work into her 80's because she's so ****ing poor.

If you have any experience of this you'll know exactly what I'm talking about, if you haven't, then don't you even dare question my opinion.

Regardless of the rights or wrongs of drugs and suicide I find the whole thing quite sad but maybe thats just me

Its all very easy to judge him because he took his own life but I imagine very few of us will ever know how he was feeling.

Last edited:
Its all very easy to judge him because he took his own life but I imagine very few of us will ever know how he was feeling. What gives us the right to judge him ?
I wasn't judging him, I was judging people who commit suicide in general.

I've lived through it, I've experienced it, I've suffered it. I have a right to judge those that have destroyed and robbed me of various life experiences.

What gives those that have never epexerienced it, the right to judge my opinion?

Last edited:
I wasn't judging him, I was judging people who commit suicide in general.

I've lived through it, I've experienced it, I've suffered it. I have a right to judge those that have destroyed and robbed me of various life experiences.

What gives those that have never epexerienced it, the right to judge my opinion?

I wasn't but each case is different

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47