Martin Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.
has he signed for us yet??? when is the press conference any news??

Hopefully it has been delayed while we wait for Davies to walk out on the sheep, or Milan wakes up smells the coffee and picks up the phone to Warnock or Coleman or even Wortho and says " I knew there was something I forgot to mention, here is that 3 year contract and you start tomorrow "

Hopefully it has been delayed while we wait for Davies to walk out on the sheep, or Milan wakes up smells the coffee and picks up the phone to Warnock or Coleman or even Wortho and says " I knew there was something I forgot to mention, here is that 3 year contract and you start tomorrow "

Answer me this though, Warnock got Sheff Utd promoted once, after 10(I think?) years. Davies failed at the playoffs with Preston, could still fail with Derby, so hasn't been successfull yet, Wortho got Norwich up then brought them straight back down, Coleman kept a team near the bottom of the premiership, didn't get them up though.

We are discounting win % as you mentioned in the other thread, so what do the others have that Allen doesn't? Other than a promotion every ten years and in Wortho's case a promotion followed by humiliating relegation?

Answer me this though, Warnock got Sheff Utd promoted once, after 10(I think?) years. Davies failed at the playoffs with Preston, could still fail with Derby, so hasn't been successfull yet, Wortho got Norwich up then brought them straight back down, Coleman kept a team near the bottom of the premiership, didn't get them up though.

We are discounting win % as you mentioned in the other thread, so what do the others have that Allen doesn't? Other than a promotion every ten years and in Wortho's case a promotion followed by humiliating relegation?

They have all achieved at least the equivalent of Allen (Reaching play offs except Coleman), in Warnocks and Wortho's case they have in fact won promotion and also in a higher league, coincidently the league we are currently competing in, whilst Coleman has managed to maintain Fulham's premiership status despite having his better players sold.

And ask yourself the same question, what has Allen actually achieved and at lower league level.

They have all achieved at least the equivalent of Allen (Reaching play offs except Coleman), in Warnocks and Wortho's case they have in fact won promotion and also in a higher league, coincidently the league we are currently competing in, whilst Coleman has managed to maintain Fulham's premiership status despite having his better players sold.

And ask yourself the same question, what has Allen actually achieved and at lower league level.

I'm not saying Allen has, I just don't think the rest have done anything more.

I'm not saying Allen has, I just don't think the rest have done anything more.

They have and at least they are proven at the level we are competing. Allen is untested at this level and whilst he has done well in the lower leagues it isn't spectacular. When we appointed both Little and O'Neill they had won promotions in the lower leagues, there achievements made you sit up and take note. Allen has proved himself to be a decent lower league manager nothing more and nothing less, his record is very similar to that of what Keith Alexander achieved at Lincoln and I don't see the clamour or justification to appoint him.

Didn't Warnock win 4 playoffs before he went to Sheff United? Just something I spotted in a 1996 playoff programme last night..

Honours: English Conference Title 1987; Third Division Playoff Winners 1990; Second Division Playoff Winners 1991; Division Two Playoff Winners 1995; Division Three Playoff Winners 1996; Championship promotion 2006

Last edited:
Please let today be the day all this put to bed one way or the other. Why are the telegraph saying we have signed 3 players and the club are saying feck all. MM sounds like he has made his mind up on the manager so fecking tell us who it is and put pen to paper its almost june FFS :icon_conf

Please let today be the day all this put to bed one way or the other. Why are the telegraph saying we have signed 3 players and the club are saying feck all. MM sounds like he has made his mind up on the manager so fecking tell us who it is and put pen to paper its almost june FFS :icon_conf

well FKA he did say that he would have a manager by the end of the month so there is still 7days left of bullshite, but if we have signed 3 players thats great, i think the manager is sorted i think its just the final things that need to be finished off before MM gets ready to call a press conference and let the world know who we have to take us to that upper level of the game ;)

well FKA he did say that he would have a manager by the end of the month so there is still 7days left of bullshite, but if we have signed 3 players thats great, i think the manager is sorted i think its just the final things that need to be finished off before MM gets ready to call a press conference and let the world know who we have to take us to that upper level of the game ;)

Here's to hoping Spanky pants :)

Here's to hoping Spanky pants :)
i think there will be a new manager before the end of the week,,

P.S when does the pre-season start and transfer window opens 1st july if i am correct there

P.S when does the pre-season start and transfer window opens 1st july if i am correct there

The players will be back for pre-season training when the manager tells them to come back.

The transfer window is already open.

What I and others repeatedly keep saying, but it doesn't seem to get through, is that the 30th June is when contracts run out, so out of contract players can officially sign for new clubs on July 1st (although they may be announced earlier). But players already in contract can be transferred as soon as the season finishes - which is why some clubs have already made signings.

The players will be back for pre-season training when the manager tells them to come back.

The transfer window is already open.

What I and others repeatedly keep saying, but it doesn't seem to get through, is that the 30th June is when contracts run out, so out of contract players can officially sign for new clubs on July 1st (although they may be announced earlier). But players already in contract can be transferred as soon as the season finishes - which is why some clubs have already made signings.

So just to clarify, if im correct here, the transfer window opens on the 1st July? :icon_bigg

It seems in all likelihood that Martin Allen is to be our new boss so some of you are best getting used to the idea instead of this constant nit -picking.I don't give two fecks what Brentford or MK Dons fans think of him,they are bound to be bitter because he left or is thinking of leaving them.He seems very keen to come here which is more than can be said for most other Managers and Players,perhaps they look on here and read how they will be welcomed:icon_roll.Some of you ought to listen to yourselves,the likelihood he is going to be our new Manager,either like it or fecking lump it.:icon_roll

Last edited:
It seems in all likelihood that Martin Allen is to be our new boss so some of you are best getting used to the idea instead of this constant nit -picking.I don't give two fecks what Brentford or MK Dons fans think of him,they are bound to be bitter because he left or is thinking of leaving them.He seems very keen to come here which is more than can be said for most other Managers and Players,perhaps they look on here and read how they will be welcomed:icon_roll.Some of you ought to listen to yourselves,the likelihood he is going to be our new Manager,either like it or fecking lump it.:icon_roll

Fair points H, I will support Allen and give him a chance but it doesn't necesarily have to agree with the decision, in the same way you voiced your concerns over the permanent appointment of Kelly.

Fair points H, I will support Allen and give him a chance but it doesn't necesarily have to agree with the decision, in the same way you voiced your concerns over the permanent appointment of Kelly.

I feel he will be a bit of a cult hero with the city fans, Someone people can relate to rather than Mr A Bland on the touchline.

Aye but not over and over and over and over again I didn't.He's coming get used to it.Wheres the points in talking about who it should have been,Martin Allen is who it is.Cannot be arsed being drawn into all this so this is my last post on the Subject.Others may wish to continue to discussing 'What could have been':102:I'm sure someone will go to the trouble to dig out some quote from one of Martin Allens old schoolfriends who said he didn't like Allen because he had a better PE kit than him....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  513
2Liverpool512
3Aston Villa512
4Arsenal511
5Chelsea510
6Newcastle510
7Brighton59
8Nottm F59