Martin Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.
From today's Mockery

Mandaric flies in to seal deal

By Bill Anderson

Milan Mandaric hopes to seal Martin Allen's arrival as Leicester City's manager in signing talks tonight.

The club chairman broke off a foreign trip to return to England today and, if everything goes according to plan, Allen could be unveiled as the boss by the weekend.

MK Dons manager Allen is expected to bring his assistant Adrian Whitbread and first-team coach David Hockaday with him, and supervise a complete revamping of City's infrastructure on the playing side.

Officially, City are keeping their options open, citing Allen as one of several candidates, but the move to gain permission from MK Dons to talk to Allen clearly suggests he is the man they want.

Mandaric, while committed not to rush the process too much, is known to be impatient to get a new manager in and, if those out of work, such as Neil Warnock and Chris Coleman, had been his choice, they would have been here already.

Those rumoured contenders who are still in the play-offs, Blackpool's Simon Grayson and Derby's Billy Davies, are now out of the picture unless something untoward happens.

Negotiations with Allen will still have to be completed, but it would now be a major upset if the former Brentford manager does not take over at the Walkers Stadium.

It would not only herald a new era, but also opening the way for new summer signings.

Mandaric has been holding off making any transfer moves until he could tell prospective players who the manager was going to be.

City have been linked with veteran defenders Arjan De Zeeuw and Bruno N'Gotty, and midfielder Lee Hendrie, but the final decision on players will be down to the in-coming manager.

If all goes well, Allen's hallmark determination to succeed will have a willing partner in Mandaric, who has always declared "I have not come here to fail."

Any reason why not?

Just gut feeling really

Mandaric has said positive things about Allen, but he's also said positive things for both Worthington and Warnock. There's nothing that says he's definitely going to be the next manager.

It was only yesterday when he was clearing the decks at MK Dons and saying he's looking forward to moving on with them.

Still think this is something that could have a sting in the tail, MM is well known for using the press to his own advantage

Just gut feeling really

Mandaric has said positive things about Allen, but he's also said positive things for both Worthington and Warnock. There's nothing that says he's definitely going to be the next manager.

It was only yesterday when he was clearing the decks at MK Dons and saying he's looking forward to moving on with them.

Still think this is something that could have a sting in the tail, MM is well known for using the press to his own advantage

Are you ignoring the fact we have asked for permission from his employer to talk to him and have agreed a compensation package?

.He seems very keen to come here which is more than can be said for most other Managers and Players,perhaps they look on here and read how they will be welcomed:icon_roll.Some of you ought to listen to yourselves,the likelihood he is going to be our new Manager,either like it or fecking lump it.:icon_roll

It's hardly surprising that the manager of MK Dons would be very keen to manage Leicester City. is it? It would be pretty amazing if he wasn't.

I agree that it looks like he will get the job which I find totally underwhelming.

However, I could be wrong about him - I have been wrong before about such matters, although i am having some difficulty in remembering when that was.

Did we not ask QPR for permission to sign Ian Holloway? He did not come.

Agreed, although that was at a time when we asking for permission to talk to every name in Tim Davies black book. This is not like that at all - theres been interviews, we had a shortlist and we are now trying to secure our first choice.

Last edited:
It's hardly surprising that the manager of MK Dons would be very keen to manage Leicester City. is it? It would be pretty amazing if he wasn't.

I agree that it looks like he will get the job which I find totally underwhelming.

However, I could be wrong about him - I have been wrong before about such matters, although i am having some difficulty in remembering when that was.

:icon_roll :icon_bigg

Agreed, although that was at a time when we asking for permission to talk to every name in Tim Davies black book. This is not like that at all - theres been interviews, we had a shortlist and we are now trying to secure our first choice.

Invariably when you ask for permission to approach another clubs manager, it is at that point that compensation is agreed between the two clubs, it is similar to agreeing a transfer fee, at any stage during the interview process / negotiations either side could still pull out or decide to choose a more attractive alternative, as what happened with Mike Newell last year.

Invariably when you ask for permission to approach another clubs manager, it is at that point that compensation is agreed between the two clubs, it is similar to agreeing a transfer fee, at any stage during the interview process / negotiations either side could still pull out or decide to choose a more attractive alternative, as what happened with Mike Newell last year.

Exactly. My point was, we have only done this with Allen as opposed to last time when we tried to approach numerous people thus indicating Allen is the man MM wants.

Exactly. My point was, we have only done this with Allen as opposed to last time when we tried to approach numerous people thus indicating Allen is the man MM wants.

Don't agree, the difference is that the others on his shortlist are currently unemployed or still involved in the play offs. Allen is the only manager currently identified on the shortlist that is employed and whose team's season has now come to an end.

The managers we approached last time along with Newell were all employed, Cotterill, Davies and Blackwell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  513
2Liverpool512
3Aston Villa512
4Arsenal511
5Chelsea510
6Newcastle510
7Brighton59
8Nottm F59
9Fulham58