Martin Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would go for Davies, Warnock, Allen in that order - assuming Keegan is not in the frame!

Did you watch the league one play-off matches?

Yeovil and Blackpool both played good football, and that's what got them through.

but that is because they have players capable of playing in that style, he wouldnt have got as far as he did if he hadnt played yo his strength.

Wonder if MM is reading these boards tonight, perhaps Mad Dog's name has been leaked on purpose, all of a sudden Warnock doesn't seem so bad to the masses.

So are you saying Allen is incapable of signing decent players when other managers can?
That pretty much ties in with what some of their fans said about him.

i would say so yes, i dont imagine many good players want to play for brentford, even if jesus himself was the manager, also he had 0 money, who do you think he is going to sign?

So are you saying Allen is incapable of signing decent players when other managers can?
That pretty much ties in with what some of their fans said about him.

Mind you, Brentford did really well without him this year, they must be really glad he has gone.

So you think Yeovil and Blackpool had loads to spend on players then? :icon_roll

i believe blackpool are owned by a multi lillionaire, and have spent a little bit, yeovil have got a squad that have been together for a long time and have added to it with players such as lee morris, who is a good capture for a team in that league, they also signed marcus stewart who i would imagine is on good wages. so yea i would say they have spent more.

Milan Mandaric delivered a bitter snub to Neil Warnock on Monday night by offering the Leicester City job to MK Dons chief Martin Allen.

Leicester made an official approach to the League Two side yesterday and Allen will officially take over at the Walkers Stadium later this week.

Scroll down to read more:

Allen: Will be formally appointed later this week

He is bringing in his first-team coach Dave Hockaday and assistant manager Adrian Whitbread as part of the managerial team that Mandaric hopes will mastermind a promotion charge next season.

Warnock believed the job was his after walking out of relegated Sheffield United last week and he was interviewed on Friday but Mandaric, who also considered Macclesfield boss Paul Ince, has instead opted for one of the game’s brightest young managers in Allen.

Warnock had been offered the Pompey job last season, when Mandaric was still chairman at Fratton Park, but turned it down at the last minute and that decision left a sour taste which has cost him the chance of taking charge at Leicester.

Sportsmail understands that Mandaric was more impressed with Allen's hunger, drive and determination. Leicester hope to announce the appointment this week, but it is on hold until they thrash out a compensation package with MK Dons.

Allen, who has taken teams to the play-offs in each of the past three years, started out as a coach at Reading under Alan Pardew, and the former West Ham midfielder has been making a name for himself in the lower leagues.

Mandaric sacked Rob Kelly when Leicester were in danger of being dragged into the relegation dogfight at the foot of the Championship and he appointed Nigel Worthington on a caretaker basis.

Worthington kept them out of danger and was also interviewed for the full-time position, but Mandaric opted for the ambitious Allen.

got this of the daily mail site

Dont know if I brought you all good or bad news in my first post, I know I will back him 100% and hope everyone else will

I've just read the same article. Appears to be good news if its true. He'll get my support and I hope everyone else's. He has a good track record in the lower divisions so lets hope he can do it for us. Exciting times ahead!!!!

Warnock had been offered the Pompey job last season, when Mandaric was still chairman at Fratton Park, but turned it down at the last minute and that decision left a sour taste which has cost him the chance of taking charge at Leicester.

Revenge is so sweet, good on you Milan.

Well Martin Allen is an unknown in this division.
Good luck to you in turning around City's fortunes.
Welcome to Leicester City.

In two minds about Allen. His record at Brentford was mostly very impressive when you think that most of the time he was supervised by the bank manager who would demand that any half decent player was sold as soon as they attracted any attention. And he had to put up with my father in law sitting just behind the dugout offering helpful advice.

As for "long ball football", isn't that called something else when its the likes of Beckham making 60 yard forward passes for the likes of Rooney to chase?

Tend to agree with you there OG, whilst on one hand it is a bold and brave appointment on the other hand he lacks experience at this level and is he really the high profile manager to attract players to the club. If we were going to appoint an up and coming manager then would have prefered Ince, Grayson or even Tilson.

With managers of the calibre and experience of Coleman, Warnock, Newell and even Worthington available I do believe this has been an opportunity missed by Milan.

By the way Micky Adams for the MK Dons :102:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670