Martyn Waghorn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chuffed to bits with this transfer. DJ gone and Waghorn in. At very, very, very least we've got rid of a part-timer and got someone in who wants to play for us. Brilliant news.

And don't get me wrong, I rate Fryatt.

It just seems, that he isn't some managers cup of tea.

I would also speculate that once his head drops he can struggle.

After 24 hours or so of intense speculation, Leicester City can confirm that they have signed Martyn Waghorn from Sunderland for an undisclosed fee.

Waghorn was on loan at the Walkers Stadium last season, and he was a crucial part of the side that finished fifth in the Championship and reached the play-off semi finals.

The striker scored twelve goals whilst with the Foxes' and also won the club's Young Player of the Season ahead of the likes of Andy King, Jack Hobbs and Jay Spearing.

Waghorn returned to Sunderland at the end of last season, and featured in the Black Cat's pre-season tour of Portugal before returning to the Walkers Stadium to face City in a friendly which Sunderland won 2-1.

Waghorn has appeared as a substitute in Sunderland's games against Birmingham City, West Brom and Colchester United but the arrival of record signing Asamoah Gyan at the Stadium of Light, reduced his chances of getting regular first team football.

City have always been keen on securing Waghorn's services on a permanent basis and the 20 year old will make his Leicester return in the Midlands derby against Coventry City on September 11th.

The Ricoh Arena is a happy hunting ground for Waghorn who helped City to a point in a1-1 draw last year by scoring a stunning volley after coming on as a second half substitute.

Leicester City Chairman, Milan Mandaric said "Leicester City Football Club is delighted to be able to welcome Martyn Waghorn back on a permanent basis.

This is yet another example of Top Raksriaksorn showing his intention to take this club forward.

Top has recognised a talented, young English striker and has provided the financial backing to turn the dream of Waggy's return, into reality.

I know the fans will be as pleased as I am at the return of Waggy. I know that Paulo has also wanted to make this signing for quite some time.

I aswell as Paulo, Top and the other investors are excited by this addition and eagerly await our next game against Coventry City."

Where is the cheapest place to get names and numbers put on my shirt? I'm feeling like getting carried away, just not sure whether to get Waghorn or Abe

Delighted with this news. DJ gone and Waggy in!!! I'll wake up with coco pops up my nose any minute.

This is just the boost we needed - permanent signing of a 100% committed player who can only improve, part funded by a selling on a player who didn't want to be here anyway.If its true that we beat Hull to Waggy then its even sweeter. Roll on the Ricoh.

Great signing! Cant wait to see him in action again!

Can we also give Sousa some credit for the signing. He has come in for quite a bit of stick lately so lets give credit where it's deserved eh.:038:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669