Matt Mills

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maynard's goalscoring record is better than Bothroyd's in a much weaker team, he's also 4 1/2 years younger and doesn't blow hot and cold like Bothroyd does. I'd much rather we signed Maynard than Bothroyd if we can afford him.

Agreed Prof. If money isn't an issue might as well get the best player.

Also agree we need cover at right back. Vitor, one hopes.

I also think Ball COULD be a canny bit of business. Experienced, and was, at one stage a very useful player.

If he was in the squad and played 10-15 games effectively he;d be worth a shout.

Maynard's goalscoring record is better than Bothroyd's in a much weaker team, he's also 4 1/2 years younger and doesn't blow hot and cold like Bothroyd does. I'd much rather we signed Maynard than Bothroyd if we can afford him.

I just can't see us getting him. I don't think Bristol City's resolve is the issue, I think if he just makes it known that he wants to talk to us then a deal would probably be struck. Surely he's aware of the interest so that would imply to me that he doesn't want to come here for whatever reason and we should move on to the next target. Bothroyd would be a decent alternative on a free transfer. Maybe there are others that are worth a look. I think both Maynard and Bothroyd are capable of 20+ goals so I'd be quite happy with either one myself. It's definately the current weak point anyway, I think Mills is a good acquisition in a position we needed strengthening.

I just can't see us getting him. I don't think Bristol City's resolve is the issue, I think if he just makes it known that he wants to talk to us then a deal would probably be struck. Surely he's aware of the interest so that would imply to me that he doesn't want to come here for whatever reason and we should move on to the next target. Bothroyd would be a decent alternative on a free transfer. Maybe there are others that are worth a look. I think both Maynard and Bothroyd are capable of 20+ goals so I'd be quite happy with either one myself. It's definately the current weak point anyway, I think Mills is a good acquisition in a position we needed strengthening.

I understand what you're saying Tornado, but think Bothroyd will go to Everton. Not sure his attitude would fit with us either. I remember from a Q&A with SGE and Faz, that they look at the whole package (no pun intended), not just footballing ability.

Jay Bothroyd? Not a chance.

Well I can't argue you with that as you no doubt know him a lot better than I do. As far as goalscorers go though he is about as good as is realistically attainable for us at the minute. Maynard would probably be the best option, but I reckon the likelihood of him joining is next to nothing. Maybe one for the future when Bristol City have had yet another season of struggle and he's available on a free at the end of his contract.

I don't think Bothroyd is capable of 20+ goals myself and agree with Miles about Vitor.

Personally, I would be happy to spend the rest of our budget for the summer on Maynard. I think if we can get Maynard and Vitor back on a season long loan, then get Ball in and get Tunchev signed up then we'd have a very good squad with cover and competition in every position (bar maybe goalkeeper).

I don't think Maynard is out of the question at all. Money talks (or swears).

Last edited:
Personally, I would be happy to spend the rest of our budget for the summer on Maynard. I think if we can get Maynard and Vitor back on a season long loan, then get Ball in and get Tunchev signed up then we'd have a very good squad with cover and competition in every position (bar maybe goalkeeper).

I'd be happy with that if we could pull it off. Personally I think Weale would be a decent option as backup keeper though. Just need that 'goalscorer'.

Step up in player for me. If you look back to when he scored the winner against us last August, I was very surprised then that no Prem club had took the gamble. Couple more of these sort of additions and we're on well on our way.

For me we need a front-man, winger and defender who can cover centre half and full back.

Maynard, Mee and A N Other...

Then on to removing the deadwood that is Moreno, Kennedy, Neilsen et al.

I think we're still a few short, to be honest.

Striker, defensive centre mid, cover for full back, at least one winger. Possibly another centre back too, and maybe even an extra striker, depending on what formation we're going to be playing.

Then if the likes of Howard and Waghorn go, we might need some more squad players too. I think we'll get another 3 permanent signings, then a few loans late in the window.

Think it all depends on the formation SGE will be playing. I keep hearing 442 for this year?!

Exciting times all the same. The more the merrier!

Never seen the guy play, nor heard much about him. However, everyone that has been speaking about him recently seems to rate him highly, so happy days, I guess! Good to have another center back on board, though. I wonder how many more signings we can expect this year, given that the proposed fee will put a sizeable dent in the transfer budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669