Matt Mills

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has been shit, paint it anyway you like, make comparisons to players from 10 years ago (whatever that has to do with it...) or call out other players in the team.

Matt Mills has been an awful signing, bar a couple of games where he played well, under the cameras it would seem. He is lazy, stands off players and has to make last ditch tackles all the time hence his bookings and sending offs. He is petulant and blames other people when he makes shit passes. I struggle to think of a player who has appeared more than him this season and been "much worse".

He'll have to have a remarkable change in form and attitude to get back in the side now, but quite frankly I don't think he has it in him.

Would you like me to grade the quality of shit Mills has been in numerical value?

Might agree about Peltier and Dyer.

Disagree about Wellens, he did have a patch where he was poor earlier in the season, but he's overcome that since the Forest game and has been one of our best players in the past couple of months. Certainly better than Mills.

And Matt, to go back to your point about him being in a side good enough to make the play-offs and them only saying he was crap there after he signed for us out of bitterness, here is a thread from March last year, before he signed:

http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=104489&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Loads of Reading fans in there saying he's not good enough, the worst captain they've ever had, one of the biggest wastes of money they've ever paid etc.

Nothing to do with the price tag. You could also argue that's causing people to say he must be good to even consider a big fee for him, even if they accept he wasn't worth that much and are sticking by him. He's not been good enough, simple as that and from everything what I've read from Reading fans, he's never been good enough.

Also, I have seen a lot more criticism of Peltier recently on here than of Mills, so not sure where you're coming from with regards to Mills being the scapegoat when Peltier has been worse etc.

Last edited:
I agree with you on his 'my way or the highway' attitude - but if you stay on the right side of him he appears to be a great boss to work for and I'm sure a lot of the team would attest to that. I think he certainly takes the right approach -it's all about respect. How do you think Alex Ferguson would handle it? Or Brian Clough? Or Martin O'Neill? I certainly don't think any of them would take it.

If I went up to my boss at work and told him I didn't think he was using the right team members for a certain task, I'd get told in no uncertain terms that it's none of my business. If I went up to my boss, while he was with his boss, and criticised him for not giving me a certain job or something, I'd probably end up out on my ear for gross misconduct.

Just more proof that footballers are completely and utterly divorced from reality.

Although Ferguson would have been a good example to use in the past, I don't think he can be used in that breath anymore. He and Rooney had a very public falling out a couple of seasons back and Rooney spat his dummy out and he was rewarded with a new contract. I'm not saying the two situations are identical, but it was certainly a case of the manager allowing his player to get away and even pandering to an individual with a very bad attitude.

I think people are reading too much into this. It may be that there has been a falling out of some sorts but, even so I don't think it's necessarily the end of him. I also agree people are seeing the price tag again and judging him on that. I don't think he's been that poor. I also don't see where people can say he has blamed other people, where has this been documented?

I think this can all blow over and bridges rebuilt and to be honest I'm quite happy that some of our players are not happy when they aren't picked. I'd much rather him have that personality at the club than a Carlos Tevez approach to team selection.

Last edited:
I'm quite happy that some of our players are not happy when they aren't picked. I'd much rather him have that personality at the club than a Carlos Tevez approach to team selection.

Surely that is a Carlos Tevez approach to team selection?

Here's my penny's worth. Mills has been a poor Captain, he certainly has not been someone who is able to galvanise the players around him, to do that the man wearing the armband has to command respect, he does that by setting an example, via he attitude, his play and support given to the players in the squad. Mills in my opinion has shown none of those qualities. He's literally let the side down by being sent off for offences that should and could have been avoided, a Captains place is on the pitch during a game not in the dressing room. Add on to that the games he has missed through suspension, it is not a good profile for a Captain.

I cannot comment on Mills relationship with NP,but the Managers comments about Mills being dropped and not on the bench for the Derby game speaks volumes, when asked how Mills may have felt about this turn of events NP replied 'I don't know, I haven't spoken to him'. That answer to me suggests conflict between the pair of them and we all know whose going to win that sort of stand off. Add on the comments by Danns about Wellens being a super Captain I think it demonstrates that there is possible friction in the squad and Mills is not universally popular within it. None of this has anything to do with how much the club did or didnot pay for him or how much he is earning, in my opinion and that is based purely on his performances, he simply does not deserve the captaincy

I cannot comment on Mills relationship with NP

Agreed, I mean that would be just ridiculous, would it not?

NP replied 'I don't know, I haven't spoken to him'. That answer to me suggests conflict between the pair of them

Oh, I see that you have actually decided to comment on their relationship, despite what you just said. Well, seeing as we're all offering our unqualified opinion based on whatever bollocks we've gathered I'd like to profer that Nigel Pearson hadn't actually 'spoken' to him and wasn't able to spew up for the cameras exactly what Matt Mills was thinking at that exact moment.
What a **** he is, sack the ****er immediately. Pearson you are a ****ing disgrace.

He has been shit, paint it anyway you like, make comparisons to players from 10 years ago (whatever that has to do with it...) or call out other players in the team.

Matt Mills has been an awful signing, bar a couple of games where he played well, under the cameras it would seem. He is lazy, stands off players and has to make last ditch tackles all the time hence his bookings and sending offs. He is petulant and blames other people when he makes shit passes. I struggle to think of a player who has appeared more than him this season and been "much worse".

He'll have to have a remarkable change in form and attitude to get back in the side now, but quite frankly I don't think he has it in him.

Would you like me to grade the quality of shit Mills has been in numerical value?

Knock yourself out

On levels of shitness

1 - Gallagher

2 - Mills

3 - Wellens

4 - Andy King

5 - Dyer

Last edited:
Might agree about Peltier and Dyer.

Disagree about Wellens, he did have a patch where he was poor earlier in the season, but he's overcome that since the Forest game and has been one of our best players in the past couple of months. Certainly better than Mills.

And Matt, to go back to your point about him being in a side good enough to make the play-offs and them only saying he was crap there after he signed for us out of bitterness, here is a thread from March last year, before he signed:

http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=104489&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Loads of Reading fans in there saying he's not good enough, the worst captain they've ever had, one of the biggest wastes of money they've ever paid etc.

Nothing to do with the price tag. You could also argue that's causing people to say he must be good to even consider a big fee for him, even if they accept he wasn't worth that much and are sticking by him. He's not been good enough, simple as that and from everything what I've read from Reading fans, he's never been good enough.

Also, I have seen a lot more criticism of Peltier recently on here than of Mills, so not sure where you're coming from with regards to Mills being the scapegoat when Peltier has been worse etc.

A guy I work with, Cov fan, he told me when we signed him he was rubbish. He played a few games there on loan a few seasons back and they didn't rate him either. What the great Sven saw that he thought was worth £5million & £25,000 a week God only knows.

Last edited:
Surely that is a Carlos Tevez approach to team selection?

No, Carlos Tevez refused to play for Man City. St Ledger and Matt Mills were angry because they weren't picked. Completely different story, Tevez doesn't want to be at Man City and his attitude since the end of last season regarding his employers has been terrible. Neither Matt Mills nor St Ledger's attitude comes from not being transferred out of the club.

We don't know what Mills cost but it was probably far too much.

It was obvious that with the signing of Morgan that one of the other central defenders was going to be moved on. Frankly I think that Pearson has seized on the opportunity to ship Mills out. Pearson has a touch of ruthlessness which is good - but Mills isn't as bad as some are pretending and like a few others I have a feeling that at some point he is going to prove a point at our expense.

No, Carlos Tevez refused to play for Man City. St Ledger and Matt Mills were angry because they weren't picked. Completely different story, Tevez doesn't want to be at Man City and his attitude since the end of last season regarding his employers has been terrible. Neither Matt Mills nor St Ledger's attitude comes from not being transferred out of the club.

Why do people keep claiming they know everything about what has gone on between NP and SSL and Mills?

How do you know that's why Mills and SSL were angry? Mills has missed like 2 games this season when he's been available and what people were saying/making up was that Mills was trying to tell NP how to do his job. I certainly can't see it having anything to do with not being picked in 1 game.

Last edited:
An anagram of Matt Mills is Arsey **** - that's how I know he's been fighting with Pearson.

And I heard he wanked into Nigel's fishtank. And that's not a euphemism.

From today's Mercury.........

Matt Mills looks set to join Leeds United on loan after it was made apparent he does not feature in Leicester City manager Nigel Pearson's plans, the Mercury understands.

Club captain Mills was left out of the squad and did not travel to Pride Park on Thursday night as City beat Derby County 1-0.
The Mercury understands that Mills did not train with the first team before the clash against the Rams.

Mills, who joined City from Reading in a move that was initially worth £3.5million and is among the club's highest wage earners, is said to be devastated to lose the captaincy and still wants to play for the club.

But Mills has been left in no doubt that he is no longer in the frame. He has fallen down the pecking order behind Sean St Ledger, Wes Morgan and Sol Bamba under Pearson.

Following the 3-2 defeat at Watford just under two weeks ago, Mills was left on the bench for the FA Cup fifth-round win at Norwich last weekend.

And when he was not even named on the substitute's bench on Thursday night, Pearson was quizzed on his absence.

When asked if Mills still had a future with City, Pearson replied: "You will have to wait and see, it depends.

"My concern is always to pick the side I think is best to win a given game. That is what I have done tonight and always will.

"The relevance of how much he cost is for others to discuss, not for me to discuss.

"I am not interested in price tags.

"I am interested in the group being winners."

New Leeds boss Neil Warnock is keen to bolster his defence and has moved to take Mills on loan to Elland Road for the rest of the season, with City paying the majority of his wages.

"It's been clear over the last couple of months that defensively we're not good enough," said Warnock.

"We'll score goals and create goals, but the season's going to come down to whether we can get players in who'll give us the chance to have a run. We need leaders on the pitch."

I am simply sad to see another stage in Nigel Pearson's deconstruction of anything that Sven left. We will end up with a good, middling Championship team in place of a potential Premier League team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669