May only be the first game, but....

Status
Not open for further replies.
rotherhamfox said:
There was nay optimism from me, i'm always a miserable, down heartened bastard about Leicester.

I don't just draw the line at Leicester...

I can confirm that we are in one of the Automatic Relegation places. :icon_sad:

Have to say that the thing that annoyed me most about the match (apart from the lack of passion, inability to complete a pass, narrow flanks and impotence in front of goal) was the fact that we conceded from a corner... Kelly has been going on about defending corners since last season when it was one of our biggest problems, and yet still it has not managed to sink in! The fact that it was within the first 10 minutes as well was hard to swallow, it felt as if they'd been doing nothing over the summer.

Leigh said:
Have to say that the thing that annoyed me most about the match (apart from the lack of passion, inability to complete a pass, narrow flanks and impotence in front of goal) was the fact that we conceded from a corner... Kelly has been going on about defending corners since last season when it was one of our biggest problems, and yet still it has not managed to sink in! The fact that it was within the first 10 minutes as well was hard to swallow, it felt as if they'd been doing nothing over the summer.

Agreed. :icon_sad:

It hurt me when I heard someone in the pub says Rob Kelly looked like a Micky Adams clone today. It was very true.

Well pointed out by Leigh, I think 1-1 would of been a fair result for the first 75 minutes. The corner was a bit of a shocker, it was not a particular good corner and we seemed to defend every other corner fine.

Boy Genius said:
tell him Melton, put him right, he dont understand offside.

BG can you explain this? Because when I watched it on Sky+ several times I saw it as offside. The only way I can see it as not being offside from the goal kick is if you can't be offside from goal kicks. He clearly interfears with play by going up for a header.

It is not an offence in itself to be in an offside position.

A player is in an offside position if:
  • he is nearer to his opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second last opponent

A player is not in an offside position if:
  • he is in his own half of the field of play
  • he is level with the second last opponent
  • he is level with the last two opponents

Commiting an Offside Offence
A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:
  • interfering with play
  • interfering with an opponent
  • gaining an advantage by being in that position

No Offence
There is no offside offence if a player receives the ball directly from:
  • a goal kick
  • a throw-in
  • a corner kick
Infringements/Sanctions
For any offside offence, the referee awards an indirect free kick to the opposing team to be taken from the place where the infringement occurred.
offside-rule-trap-success.gif
This is offside because the red number 10 is in front of all of the defenders, leaving only the goalkeeper back which isn't enough players to play him onside. This position may have been forced by the defenders moving forward in what is called the offside trap.
offside-rule-trap-fail.gif
Here we can see that the blue number 3 defender has fail to move up the field with rest of his defence and played the red number 9 onside. This is a classic example of where the offside trap fails
why-offside-rule-exists.gif
The offside rule exists to stop goal hanging, where a player stands next to the opposing teams goal keeper in the hope that someone can get the ball to him (probably using a long ball), so he can get it past the goal keeper. Which would make for a very boring game.
offside-rule-two-players.gif
The red number 9 isn't beyond the blue 4 defender but is offside because the goal keeper isn't back. This is one of those rare occasions where goal keeper is out of the goal (e.g. last minute of F.A. Cup final on a corner kick) and can't get back in time but if the attacking team play the ball as they normally would, then it would be offside because the offside rule requires two defenders to be in front the attacker and the goal keeper usually counts as a defender.
offside-rule-wrong.gif
Why are linesmen (assistant referees) always calling offside when it isn't? Well believe it or not its not really their fault (unless the decision goes against you or your team), it's all to do with angles and line of sight. In the picture the purple line represents the linesman's line of sight which as you can see is at a slight angle, this line should be parallel with the goal line. So even though the red number 10 is being played onside by the blue defender it will be called offside. This is unfortunate but does happen from time to time.

Boy Genius said:
tell him Melton, put him right, he dont understand offside.
He got no respect or time for me, he been here longer than me, me newcomer, me no opinion :icon_lol:

newtonfox said:
It is not an offence in itself to be in an offside position.

A player is in an offside position if:
  • he is nearer to his opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second last opponent
A player is not in an offside position if:
  • he is in his own half of the field of play
  • he is level with the second last opponent
  • he is level with the last two opponents
Commiting an Offside Offence
A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:
  • interfering with play
  • interfering with an opponent
  • gaining an advantage by being in that position
No Offence
There is no offside offence if a player receives the ball directly from:
  • a goal kick
  • a throw-in
  • a corner kick
Infringements/Sanctions
For any offside offence, the referee awards an indirect free kick to the opposing team to be taken from the place where the infringement occurred.
offside-rule-trap-success.gif
This is offside because the red number 10 is in front of all of the defenders, leaving only the goalkeeper back which isn't enough players to play him onside. This position may have been forced by the defenders moving forward in what is called the offside trap.
offside-rule-trap-fail.gif
Here we can see that the blue number 3 defender has fail to move up the field with rest of his defence and played the red number 9 onside. This is a classic example of where the offside trap fails
why-offside-rule-exists.gif
The offside rule exists to stop goal hanging, where a player stands next to the opposing teams goal keeper in the hope that someone can get the ball to him (probably using a long ball), so he can get it past the goal keeper. Which would make for a very boring game.
offside-rule-two-players.gif
The red number 9 isn't beyond the blue 4 defender but is offside because the goal keeper isn't back. This is one of those rare occasions where goal keeper is out of the goal (e.g. last minute of F.A. Cup final on a corner kick) and can't get back in time but if the attacking team play the ball as they normally would, then it would be offside because the offside rule requires two defenders to be in front the attacker and the goal keeper usually counts as a defender.
offside-rule-wrong.gif
Why are linesmen (assistant referees) always calling offside when it isn't? Well believe it or not its not really their fault (unless the decision goes against you or your team), it's all to do with angles and line of sight. In the picture the purple line represents the linesman's line of sight which as you can see is at a slight angle, this line should be parallel with the goal line. So even though the red number 10 is being played onside by the blue defender it will be called offside. This is unfortunate but does happen from time to time.

Newton can I just ask if you have seen this goal on sky again? You watch as the ball is played from the goal keeper the luton player is clearly in an offside positon. He then goes for a header with one of our players.

I also find it pathetic that you feel the need to try and belittle me with this explination of the offside rule. I feel you really have got you knickers in a twist over something that doesn't really involve you at all. More than that I think your trying to be [SIZE=-1]patronising towards me and I find it childish.[/SIZE]

Melton Fox said:
He got no respect or time for me, he been here longer than me, me newcomer, me no opinion :icon_lol:

Im sure you could find a corner somewhere to sulk? Your supposed to be a grown man so stop acting like a child. Are you sure your mature enough to read general chat?

Fox Fan said:
Im sure you could find a corner somewhere to sulk? You're supposed to be a grown man so stop acting like a child. Are you sure you're mature enough to read general chat?
Blimey, all that angst

Last edited:
Fox Fan said:
Newton can I just ask if you have seen this goal on sky again? You watch as the ball is played from the goal keeper the luton player is clearly in an offside positon. He then goes for a header with one of our players.

I also find it pathetic that you feel the need to try and belittle me with this explination of the offside rule. I feel you really have got you knickers in a twist over something that doesn't really involve you at all. More than that I think your trying to be [SIZE=-1]patronising towards me and I find it childish.[/SIZE]

yes ive seen it 3 or 4 times now still think your wrong

:102: i thought it explaned the offside rule well:102: ok next time i will just post pics

Last edited:
newtonfox said:
you started on a good friend of mine (melts) so you got my thoughts on the matter ok :mad: :081:

I 'started' on him? Look were not in the playground here. You know full well that if Melton has something to say, he will say it. No one asked for your input - thank you all the same

Fox Fan said:
I 'started' on him? Look were not in the playground here. You know full well that if Melton has something to say, he will say it. No one asked for your input - thank you all the same

Attack the post, not the poster please chaps.

Melton Fox said:
Keep your nose out binocular boy :icon_wink

Alright, Obi Koi Karp Kenobi.

It's just I do not want to see a slagging match on a thread for every one else. Continue your slagging off fest in general chat or on a PM to PM basis.

Hazzman said:

It's just I do not want to see a slagging match on a thread for every one else. Continue your slagging off fest in general chat or on a PM to PM basis.

Thats right, let's back to slagging Leicester!

Hazzman said:

Not me mate, I'm out of it.

Fox Fan said:
Im sure you could find a corner somewhere to sulk? Your supposed to be a grown man so stop acting like a child. Are you sure your mature enough to read general chat?

lighten up

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673