Megson - BBC

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a WBA fan - nicked from The Fox:

After watching 15 years of rubbish at the albion, Megson inspired us to two promotions (one with a very average side wiping off a 12 point defecit from Wolves in the last 8 games of the season to go up), and gave me the best time as a baggies fan in 15 years of watching them. He had absolutely no chance of keeping us up in the prem the first time with no investment. You will get absolutely 100% out of every player every week under Megson, or they'll be gone. Yes he fell out with players, but it wasn't that many - it gets exagerated. He is also brutally honest in interviews, which as a fan, I like. Finally, a word on the style of football. Its safety first, no doubt about that. He likes to hit the front men quickly then play from there, but albion did play some very good football under Megson, but critics of him forget this, because there was plenty of boring stuff too. But most of the boring stuff was effective at getting results in this division. If you ever see our first promotion DVD (which you almost certainly won't I guess!), have a look at the albion crowds and see if they weren't excited? Amazing days as an albion fan. Megson created a spirit at the albion where the players gave their all, and played as a team (which Robson undid very quickly). Yes he has his faults, but you lot could be doing a lot worse than Megson, trust me. Its very difficult to know if it'll work out for Megson at Leicester, particularly as he hated boardroom interference (I gather Mandaric kind of likes it!), so god knows how they'll get on. Forest fans have nothing good to say about him, but have they done any better since he left? No. Put it this way, if i were you lot I'd rather have Megson than your previous manager.

I'm not so sure all this negativity is valid. I'm also unsure about this automatic assumption that Megson will let MM run the show. I suspect it's all be spurted out in anger in reaction that we didn't bring in some over rated foreigner that wouldn't know anything about this league, try and play silky footie, and land us back in the shit.

Megson is a strong character, that's for sure. And he takes no crap from chairmen, as we all remember from his Brom days. So then why would MM appoint him if he wanted a nodding dog? And don't feed me this crap that he agreed to be exactly that. It's knackers and you all know it. It's childish playground chatter. Nobody who takes on a role like this rolls over so easily, even if they are Gary Megson. He's been offered other stuff, and will be offered other stuff. He knows his trade, and he has integrity like his contemporaries. Such a suggestion is laughable to me.

I'm just going to take his time at West Brom as an example and be positive from that, as nobody could've saved Forest and he was on a hiding to nothing. Given suitable resources in this league, like he had at Brom, he proved (twice) that he knows what is required.

Last edited:
For me this is an absolute disaster - most would agree that Megson was far and away the last name we wanted to hear, I'm really disappointed that Milan's inability to work with MA2 has lead us to being managed by this Forest reject.

I would have genuinely rather heard that we had appointed Micky Adams again than Megson.

However let me stress that while I (and others) are far from happy about this appointment (about as far away as you can get) I will support him as the manager of our club, I will not attend fewer matches as a direct result of him being named manager and I will not be ripping up my season ticket - I am a Leicester fan no matter who our manager is.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/football_league/article2442293.ece

Gary Megson will end months of frustration today by being appointed the new manager of Leicester City, the Coca-Cola Championship club, and so becoming the fourth manager of Milan Mandaric’s seven-month reign.

Mandaric had targeted Billy Davies and Iain Dowie as a successor to Martin Allen, but has failed to tempt them away from Derby County and Coventry City respectively. Megson, who has been out of work since leaving Nottingham Forest in February last year, impressed Mandaric in a three-hour interview yesterday and is expected to be given a three-year deal.

Megson led West Bromwich Albion to the top flight twice in three seasons and Mandaric believes that he is the best man to meet his target of promotion. Megson, 48, will bring in Frank Burrows as his assistant, and is expected to name Gerry Taggart as first-team coach. Ex-Leicester stars Matt Elliott and Muzzy Izzet may also be given roles on the coaching staff.

Megson is set to sit in the stands for the visit of QPR this Saturday but will be in the dug-out on Tuesday - at Forest for the Carling Cup replay.

Interesting..........

I'm really disappointed that Milan's inability to work with MA2 has lead us to being managed by this Forest reject.

So sod all money and taking over a side that were going down anyway had nothing to do with it then. Yep. Accurate. Valid. Factual.

Some interesting stuff in the Times article, says Megson will get a 3-year deal (doesn't MM have anyone to advise him against giving out long contracts?) and will bring in Taggs, Elliott and Muzzy (how much does MM want to sell this to us?)

So sod all money and taking over a side that were going down anyway had nothing to do with it then. Yep. Accurate. Valid. Factual.

It is a completely valid point. I'm not saying MM should never have come here! I'm not saying MM out!

What I said (if you read it properly) was that I was disappointed MM was unable to work with MA2.

I ask that beofre you try and claim my posts are something they are not, please at least read them.

BG would have moaned about MON.

It's the degree of moaning though. I don't know of anyone who wanted Megson. A lot wanted Jewell, a few wanted Warnock. But no one on here suggested Megson as their first choice...or second choice..or third choice.

spot on Jeff, we don't want him here again. He isn't setting Villa alight is he?

It is a completely valid point. I'm not saying MM should never have come here! I'm not saying MM out!

What I said (if you read it properly) was that I was disappointed MM was unable to work with MA2.

I ask that beofre you try and claim my posts are something they are not, please at least read them.

:018: I read it. It said "Forest Reject". This is bullplop. No money. No hope. Failing team. Not to blame.

:018: I read it. It said "Forest Reject". This is bullplop. No money. No hope. Failing team. Not to blame.

Well its really not - he was rejected by Forest fans. Don't forget that he will have no money to spend here until Jan and a couple of losses and we could be considered failing.

And do you really believe this is the only job he has tried to get since leaving Forest? I very much doubt it - in fact I would suspect he has tried to get at least 2/3 jobs.

But at the end of the day if he is appointed and we finish in 7/8th its still not going to have been a bad season. If he is now our manager the we will get behind him at the Wakers and hope he can deliver.

Last edited:
Well its really not - he was rejected by Forest fans. Don't forget that he will have no money to spend here until Jan and a couple of losses and we could be considered failing.

And do you really believe this is the Forest job he has tried to get since leaving Forest? I very much doubt it - in fact I would suspect he has tried to get at least 2/3 jobs.

But at the end of the day if he is appointed and we finish in 7/8th its still not going to have been a bad season. If he is now our manager the we will get behind him at the Wakers and hope he can deliver.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

And do you really believe this is the only job he has tried to get since leaving Forest? I very much doubt it - in fact I would suspect he has tried to get at least 2/3 jobs.

I don't believe this is the first job that has interested him since leaving forest no. Neither do I believe, just because it's fun to moan and be negative on forums, that every club that interviewed him turned him down rather than him turning them down. I don't really care. His record at West Brom, which is the best comparison for the quality of players and league he will be working in here, suggests to me he can be very successful.

Times and Telegraph both have the story. 3 year contract for Megson (thought it would've been less than that!), Frank Burrows his assistant and Taggart is going to be first team coach.
Both papers also say that Muzzy and Matty Elliott are going to be given coaching jobs with the club as well! I guess that's one way of trying to make people happier about it... hope that they are actually good at the jobs they are given though!

All sounds good... except for the Megson part. Thought he was quite possibly the worst out of a bad bunch. Would've preferred Warnock and possibly even Peter Reid!
Oh well, that's what we've got... hopefully he'll prove us wrong and be very successful with us.

Good luck Gary... you ginger ****

(Sorry, just realised the bit about the old boys had already been posted)

Last edited:
Quote:
After watching 15 years of rubbish at the albion, Megson inspired us to two promotions (one with a very average side wiping off a 12 point defecit from Wolves in the last 8 games of the season to go up), and gave me the best time as a baggies fan in 15 years of watching them. He had absolutely no chance of keeping us up in the prem the first time with no investment. You will get absolutely 100% out of every player every week under Megson, or they'll be gone. Yes he fell out with players, but it wasn't that many - it gets exagerated. He is also brutally honest in interviews, which as a fan, I like. Finally, a word on the style of football. Its safety first, no doubt about that. He likes to hit the front men quickly then play from there, but albion did play some very good football under Megson, but critics of him forget this, because there was plenty of boring stuff too. But most of the boring stuff was effective at getting results in this division. If you ever see our first promotion DVD (which you almost certainly won't I guess!), have a look at the albion crowds and see if they weren't excited? Amazing days as an albion fan. Megson created a spirit at the albion where the players gave their all, and played as a team (which Robson undid very quickly). Yes he has his faults, but you lot could be doing a lot worse than Megson, trust me. Its very difficult to know if it'll work out for Megson at Leicester, particularly as he hated boardroom interference (I gather Mandaric kind of likes it!), so god knows how they'll get on. Forest fans have nothing good to say about him, but have they done any better since he left? No. Put it this way, if i were you lot I'd rather have Megson than your previous manager.

Thanks Jeff for finding the article above.

After reading all the negative quotes, this opened my eyes to the fact that this might not be as bad as first viewed.
We thought we had it bad with three years of dross. Imagine 15 years as a albion fan.
He really knows his business in the Championship, will be no suprises for him walking into this team and setting down to the task at hand.
I say for the good of the club, lets all get right behind Megson.
Hopefully on his first outing they thrash the trees of the park.
Revenge is so sweet.

If the stories are true.
Welcome to Leicester City Mr Megson.

Well I guess I wasn't too thrilled about Megson being touted as manager either but he did manage to get Albion up in the Premiership twice ... and I rather think he has a pretty good squad here to work with ... so I'm kinda thinking let's go with it (do we have a choice) and see what happens over the next few months ... who knows ... we may be pleasantly surprised ... and if he isn't getting the results we know Milan will show him the door ... so I guess we have nothing to lose ... ??? :icon_cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669