Mental Health, Reaching Out & the Kindness of Strangers

Nearly £10 per day to travel from zone one to zones be two and back.
You're guessing. And not very well!

Paying cash it would cost you over 13 quid but about 6 with Oyster or contact less.

You're guessing. And not very well!

Paying cash it would cost you over 13 quid but about 6 with Oyster or contact less.
Nope, my wife pays about £9 something for her travel per day (it does include a bus though)…

It's also full of miserable moaning ****s who don't appreciate how privileged they are compared to the poor ****ers across the rest of the country who are treated as second or third class citizens at every turn
I object to being called miserable and moaning.

Tourism for a starter of 1?
A quick google says London (population ~9m) makes £14.1bn in tourism a year. That's a lot of cheese. But another quick google say Leicestershire (population ~1m) makes £2.1bn a year, so per capita we're actually ahead - where's our fancy buses and underground rail network?

A quick google says London (population ~9m) makes £14.1bn in tourism a year. That's a lot of cheese. But another quick google say Leicestershire (population ~1m) makes £2.1bn a year, so per capita we're actually ahead - where's our fancy buses and underground rail network?
I don’t want any of that London Underground shit but I’d love to see a proper light rail network across Leicestershire. Buses here are absolutely wank.

I don’t want any of that London Underground shit but I’d love to see a proper light rail network across Leicestershire. Buses here are absolutely wank.

If the Beeching Report had been ignored rather than implemented, we'd be in a very different country today. Even the USA, not exactly renowned for these things, has been installing light rail in its cities over the last fifteen years.

To be fair an underground network in Leicester would be overkill but a tram system or similar would be warranted.

The Nottingham trams are excellent. Every ****er moaned non stop when they were being installed due to the chaos involved but they've completely transformed travel in the city. The bus network before was a nightmare. Much worse than Leicester. I'd be up for the same thing here.

No room though thanks to the 4000000 miles of ****ing cycle lanes.

The Nottingham trams are excellent. Every ****er moaned non stop when they were being installed due to the chaos involved but they've completely transformed travel in the city. The bus network before was a nightmare. Much worse than Leicester. I'd be up for the same thing here.

No room though thanks to the 4000000 miles of ****ing cycle lanes.
Yep they’re very good.

This is Birmingham present day. They've installed a tram network, from what I can see it works okay, but hasn't transformed travel particularly - yet. It has ruined many businesses in Digbeth by making it utterly inaccessible for literally years.

They also managed to go offline for a few months because they discovered cracks in the virtually new trams.

I think I've mentioned this before, but the broke council will shortly be implementing their travel plan, which means that it will become impossible to move between zones without going out to the ring road and back around. So to go from the top of zone 5 to the bottom of zone 1 in a car is going to take some ungodly amount of time.

Birmingham-City-Transport-Main-Text.png

We'll wait and see if the public transport network is upgraded accordingly to support this.

I calculate 90% of all roads in London are now 20mph speed limits.

I can understand 20mph on side roads and roads with schools and other potential hazards but roads such as Park Lane? Piccadilly? Major artery roads?

To make it worse (using Park Lane as an example) this used to be 4 lanes northbound and a bus lane along with a 40mph limit.

It is now single lane virtually all the way up and 20mph.

Mr Khan is a twat.

To bring this back to the point of the thread, it's believed that men deflect their inability to cope with their emotions by getting angry about external things about which they have very little control.

The most obvious example is climate change but it also often manifests in anger about traffic and bureaucracy.

Front page news today about the sentencing of the man who killed three people in Nottingham. It’s a harrowing story and I can’t begin to imagine what those families went through in the trial. Hopefully an inquiry into how he slipped through cracks can help to limit this kind of case in future.

Obviously newspapers aren’t going to print pages and pages of evidence from the trial but it doesn’t seem to be in question that he is severely mentally unwell. I would imagine that either way he will be pretty much confined to a single room from now on with no contact with other inmates/patients and heavily sedated.

Is the reporting a bit of Old Testament fury? What does spending the rest of his life in a mental facility actually look like?

It's really tough. I'm old enough to remember the shift to care in the community back in the 80s and the vast majority of mentally unwell people are far more likely to harm themselves than anyone else. I've been to mental health facilities to visit(!) and they're awful places. Shutting people away doesn't work.

I'm confident around someone in a mental health crisis but it can be harrowing and scary if you're not.

Someone with paranoid schizophrenia (as this guy was reported to be diagnosed with) can be perfectly safe to be around. But if they're not being properly treated and cared for, it can also be dangerous.

Our government's approach to supporting mental health is scandalous. I guarantee that he wasn't getting the support required as community mental health teams cannot begin to cope.

Unsupported ill people often don't take their medication and can easily spiral.

Mind you, none of this would mean anything to me if it was my loved one that had been brutally killed.

It's really tough. I'm old enough to remember the shift to care in the community back in the 80s and the vast majority of mentally unwell people are far more likely to harm themselves than anyone else. I've been to mental health facilities to visit(!) and they're awful places. Shutting people away doesn't work.

I'm confident around someone in a mental health crisis but it can be harrowing and scary if you're not.

Someone with paranoid schizophrenia (as this guy was reported to be diagnosed with) can be perfectly safe to be around. But if they're not being properly treated and cared for, it can also be dangerous.

Our government's approach to supporting mental health is scandalous. I guarantee that he wasn't getting the support required as community mental health teams cannot begin to cope.

Unsupported ill people often don't take their medication and can easily spiral.

Mind you, none of this would mean anything to me if it was my loved one that had been brutally killed.
Thanks BN, that’s interesting. I can absolute understand why the families of the victims feel let down by every stage of the process.

Its caused my ears to prick up for another reason, not wishing to derail the thread, but it seems to tie in with the current narrative about ‘lefty lawyers’ that the government have been happy to spin. Human rights are a political football again I and really hope that this particular story doesn’t become part of that ongoing conversation because it will ultimately distract from the work that clearly needs to be done in terms of prevention rather than punishment.

Thanks BN, that’s interesting. I can absolute understand why the families of the victims feel let down by every stage of the process.

Its caused my ears to prick up for another reason, not wishing to derail the thread, but it seems to tie in with the current narrative about ‘lefty lawyers’ that the government have been happy to spin. Human rights are a political football again I and really hope that this particular story doesn’t become part of that ongoing conversation because it will ultimately distract from the work that clearly needs to be done in terms of prevention rather than punishment.
Populism is great isn't it, where people applaud language like 'lefty lawyers' rather than realising that the literal job of a lawyer is to argue for their client based on and around legal language defined by the government.

Rishi is complaining because people are arguing the very rules his bunch have put in place. Baffling.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4575
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4469
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4464
10Preston 4463