Mexico - Mayan Riviera - Places to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_B

Anybody been to this area and have any tips on places to go? We are staying in Puerto Morelos and need some activities to do.

So far I am planning on visiting Coba, Tulum and the Grand Cenote on one day, and probably Playa del Carmen on another. I'm not fussed about Cancun to be honest.

I have ruled out Xel Ha and Xcaret due to being very expensive and lots of bad reviews online.

I would love to visit Chichen Itza but it is a bit far to be honest.

I am also thinking of hiring a car for a couple of days (mainly to do the Tulum,Coba day) so any good rental companies would be good, so far I am considering Hertz or Tulum Car Rental as they offer the best price.

Anybody been to this area and have any tips on places to go? We are staying in Puerto Morelos and need some activities to do.

So far I am planning on visiting Coba, Tulum and the Grand Cenote on one day, and probably Playa del Carmen on another. I'm not fussed about Cancun to be honest.

I have ruled out Xel Ha and Xcaret due to being very expensive and lots of bad reviews online.

I am also thinking of hiring a car for a couple of days (mainly to do the Tulum,Coba day) so any good rental companies would be good, so far I am considering Hertz or Tulum Car Rental as they offer the best price.

The two places we are planning to go are Chichen Itza and a trip into Cancun. The diving in Cozumel is supposed to be very good, but it might be a bit far and difficult to reach.

What bad reviews have you read about Xel Ha?

We went four years ago and apart from a thunder storm we had a great day. Friends of ours have been 3 or four times.

What bad reviews have you read about Xel Ha?

We went four years ago and apart from a thunder storm we had a great day. Friends of ours have been 3 or four times.

The main reason I want to go is for the snorkelling and apparantly the water clarity is very poor according to a lot of reviews on tripadvisor.com.

The two places we are planning to go are Chichen Itza and a trip into Cancun. The diving in Cozumel is supposed to be very good, but it might be a bit far and difficult to reach.

Yeah Chichen Itza is about 3 hours from where we are so as a compromise to the wife, who whilst wanting to see the ruins isn't as keen as me, I said I would go for the closer ones. Plus Tulum looks amazing on the coast, and has a lot of wild iguanas apparantly!

Holiday Autos have always been the best priced car rental company whenever I have looked at renting a car. This is around Europe though, so not sure if they will be as cheap in Mexico. Worth a look though.

The main reason I want to go is for the snorkelling and apparantly the water clarity is very poor according to a lot of reviews on tripadvisor.com.

Oh ok. As I say we went in the rain so the water wouldn't have been great anyway.

There are lots of other things to do as well but if its just the snorkelling then I'm sure there will be better places to go.

Last edited:
If you're in Cancun in the next couple of weeks, look out for the City academy lads from 2007.

I wouldn't rule out Chichen Itza, I really enjoyed it, despite the journey. There are plenty of places to stop off on the way there and back for refreshments.

Did you drive to it or get a tour bus?

Apparantly the tour busses can take upto 6 hours, driving about 3?

What type of room have you booked. We were originally looking at a swim-up, but now we're probably going for the standard room.

We were wondering how you get a room in the adults-only section, as there is no option for selecting it online. Also, do all rooms have a jacuzzi? From what i can gather, they do.

What type of room have you booked. We were originally looking at a swim-up, but now we're probably going for the standard room.

We have a swim up junior suite.

We were wondering how you get a room in the adults-only section, as there is no option for selecting it online. Also, do all rooms have a jacuzzi? From what i can gather, they do.

When we went into the Thomson shop we said we wanted adults only. I believe all swim up and jacuzzi rooms are adult only.

They don't all have jacuzzi, we paid an extra £400 or so for the swim up, to add a jacuzzi was about the same again.

I think they have jacuzzi baths, but not the ones that are on the front of the room into the pool.

Did you drive to it or get a tour bus?

Apparantly the tour busses can take upto 6 hours, driving about 3?

We went on a tour bus from Playa del Carmen. I think it took about 2-3hrs, from memory, and that included a stop off at a shop and tequila distillery (are they distilleries, tequilerilleries, perhaps...). We were really lucky, as there was a large American Temperance group on our trip, and they naturally didn't want the free tequila slammers :038:

On the way back, the coach stopped at a roadside restaurant, the meal was included in the price of the trip, but the locals did expect heavy tipping after the meal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  39
2Liverpool39
3Brighton37
4Arsenal37
5Newcastle37
6Brentford36
7Aston Villa36
8Bournemouth35
9Nottm F35