Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie_d123

Anyone been?
I'm going in September and would like some advice on what type of budget to take. I'm being told anything from 2k to 6k. As it's the second part of the holiday I'm only really planning on dossing on the beach with perhaps a bit of shopping.
Thanks in advance

I went last year.

It wasn't overly expensive, but not cheap either.

The beach is awesome, and ocean drive has loads of places to eat and the next road that runs parallel has loads of shopping.

Depends on how long you are going to be there, on how much cash you will need.

Go and watch the heat play too!

I will be there a week. I suppose I'll be happy so long as I can afford to eat. Not bothered about clubbing either.
I was considering going to an American football game, never thought about basketball.

6k? Are you buying a house?

I had a flight from the airport at about 6am, and my hostel was in Miami Beach, so I decided to do what any sane person would have done - to walk, as I didn't want to oversleep and I didn't want to pay for a taxi.

So I started walking at about midnight on a Saturday night. After I had walked for about an hour - I had just crossed the bridge to downtown Miami - a taxi stopped and offered me a ride to the airport for $20. No thanks, I didn't come here to spend my life savings on taxis (I didn't say that, that would have made me sound very poor which I was but that is a bit stigmatized in the US).

I walked for another four hours through what I think were very dodgy areas as they coudln't even afford street lights until I, exhausted and with my feet slightly hurting, saw the lights of the airport. Unfortunately, I got completely lost and went into the terminal for freight airplanes. Finally I gave up and asked one of the airport workers to call me a taxi (I was now completely sure I was going to miss my flight). The taxi turned up and drove me around the whole airport and I arrived a few minutes before checkin closed.

Price? $18, + $2 in tip. Five hours well spent and got to see the "real" Miami (at least I think it was). And before anyone checks the distance between Miami Beach and MIA on GoogleMaps and points out that it shouldn't have taken me five hours, I just want to tell you that I had a huge bag.

Nikki Beach is fairly nice and Washington Avenue too, and the basketball is good too if that's your cup of tea. The weather is brilliant all year around. Other than that, I thought it was overrated.

I will be there a week. I suppose I'll be happy so long as I can afford to eat. Not bothered about clubbing either.
I was considering going to an American football game, never thought about basketball.

Richie,

Been a few times mate. Not the biggest fan of Miami for my own reasons but here are a few pointers for you:

- It's so hot you won't believe it. Blistering hot. It also storms almost every single day.

- It can be pretty pricey, especially South Beach area where an afternoon on the lash can cost you a few hundred quid.

- Be careful where you go. It's one of those cities where, if you get off the beaten path, can be a touch menacing.

- Theres a brilliant Argentinian Grill in Bayside Marketplace near the Hard Rock...check it out. http://www.thekniferestaurant.com/ingles/index.html

Bayside is your spot if you're in to the more touristy stuff.

As for the football or basketball.

The Dolphins have two home games in september:

September 12th against New England
September 18th against Houston

If you can get to that game on the 12th you'll have a great time. A rivalry game, Tom Brady playing, opening game of the season, would be good stuff.

Ahhh I'm in Miami from the 19th till the 26th. Shame.
We are staying at the Fontainebleau which looks amazing although as some mixed reviews. ($10 for a bottle of water!!!!) I guess all hotels do.
Not planning on exploring too much so should stay safe.
Thanks for the info.

Ahhh I'm in Miami from the 19th till the 26th. Shame.
We are staying at the Fontainebleau which looks amazing although as some mixed reviews. ($10 for a bottle of water!!!!) I guess all hotels do.
Not planning on exploring too much so should stay safe.
Thanks for the info.

Stick at Bayside and you'll be fine. Beach it at south beach.

It's been much more encouraging over the past couple of weeks I agree. I can't believe they won't get it done now they are making progress, albeit with some hard negotiations still to come.

I was almost certain they wouldn't be playing a few months ago. I still think it's so delicate that we could be back at square one very quickly.

The way the NFL treats the players is awful, I don't blame the players one bit...but obviously that is a much larger conversation.

I was almost certain they wouldn't be playing a few months ago. I still think it's so delicate that we could be back at square one very quickly.

The way the NFL treats the players is awful, I don't blame the players one bit...but obviously that is a much larger conversation.

I would tend to agree with you, other than to add that even the players seem to admit the rookie pay scale is way too high in guaranteed money and I'd side with the owners on that front. Having said that, the real losers will be the fans if this doesn't get resolved in time for the new season.

This isn't really the thread to ask it in, but I'm going to anyway - what are your thoughts on Cam Newton? Good or bad choice?

I think they had to take him. The Panthers have never had a standout QB and in the NFC South the other teams do (Brees, Ryan, Freeman). In order to be competitive the Panthers have to find that elite QB. Might as well take the plunge with Newton and see what happens. It's a bit hard on Clausen, but in fairness he was woeful last year.

Newton has all the tools to be great. There are questions about his character of course, but the kid is a freakish athlete and has won a LOT of football games wherever he has played.

We kind of passed through Miami, and we didn't stay in the tourist hotspots, unfortunately, but I would recommend the following:

For bargains, Sawgrass Mills is good (well, I enjoyed it...).

Also recommend Everglades Safari Park. It was worth it for the airboat ride, which is included in the admission price. As mentioned above, the area does have daily storms, and we weren't able to go on the airboat the day that we chose to visit, but the Park happily gave us a ticket to be used the next day so we went back and did the ride on the following morning. Our ride also lasted longer than 30 minutes; I think that we were out for about an hour.

I think they had to take him. The Panthers have never had a standout QB and in the NFC South the other teams do (Brees, Ryan, Freeman). In order to be competitive the Panthers have to find that elite QB. Might as well take the plunge with Newton and see what happens. It's a bit hard on Clausen, but in fairness he was woeful last year.

I agree, I reckon they'd have loved it if Andrew Luck had declared, but when he didn't they weren't left with much choice. I like Clausen too but you can't do much in that division without a QB and as you say he was pretty poor last year.

Newton has all the tools to be great. There are questions about his character of course, but the kid is a freakish athlete and has won a LOT of football games wherever he has played.

:icon_lol: To say the least.

He's a phenomenal looking athlete, but hopefully can translate what he's done in college to the NFL. There are obvious comparisons to Vince Young when he came out of Texas but Newton seems to have a better passing arm, lets just hope the NFL coaches can get him past being a one look QB.
Do you think Steve Smith will re-sign? You'd think having someone of his quality on board would be a massive help as he tries to establish himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566