Middlesbrough 3 Leicester 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
A serious question for boroandproud: last season I tipped Middlesbrough for automatic promotion (and showing again my lack of judgment rather expected Newcastle to implode).

Was this the general feeling among Boro fans at the time and what has gone wrong?

James Watson was American.

And Watson/Crick stole the glory from Rosalind Franklin and her outstanding research.

Knowing you are a physicist I am sure you are right about Watson. Strangely the person who showed me the place in Cambridge where the research was done failed to mention this - though she must have been aware of it.
I have never heard of Rosalind Franklin who obviously deserves to be better known.

The lesson is that I should be more careful in posting anything about science on which my knowledge is very superficial.

I'm surprised people are unaware of Franklin, as her role in the DNA saga has been so widely debated. She actually could have had two Nobel prizes (the 2nd for her subsequent work with Aaron klug on viruses), but she died too early, at 37, four years before Crick, Watson and Wilkins were awarded the prize. Nobel prizes cannot be given posthumously. Interestingly, she became very close friends with the Cricks, frequently staying with them while she was undergoing treatment for terminal cancer.

Oh and Mansfield. Obviously. Mansfield is the worst place in the world. You know, people in Darfur console themselves with the fact they don't live in Mansfield.

I could rant but can't be bothered. :icon_lol:

I've lived in Mansfield since 2001. I came to do community work after graduating from the University of Nottingham and run a charity here.

Like everywhere else it has it's good and bad bits.

Sadly many judge it by the bus station which was one of the very worst bits in the town. Fortunately that will be torn down and a new bus station built.

Last edited:
I may be telling you something a Middlesbrough person already knows but your town like Leicester used to be proud of its industry.

In 1867 the Prince of Wales (later Edward VII) visited Middlesbrough. The thing that the Mayor pointed out and the Prince admired was the belching chimneys. The Mayor stressed that the smoke showed a town where there was plenty of work and in his words "no need for charity."

No doubt Middlesbrough like Leicester is cleaner today and less proud.

I mention this knowing that anyone who calls themselves boroandproud will be interested in their History. After all everyone who is Leicesterandproud is interested in Simon de Montfort - arent they!!!

David:

Hi, yes i always look up about Middlesbrough's history and also, the victorian prime minister Gladstone, Visited Middlesbrough and quoted:

"This remarkable place, the youngest child of England's enterprise, is an infant, but if an infant, an infant Hercules"

Because of the iron in the hills and our steel making, all of Britain, and i think the world used Middlesbrough's iron.

Well what i do know is, Sydney harbour bridge was Made from Middlesbrough's steel and company Dorman Long :)

And Middlesbrough also made the geordie's Tyne Bridge. haha !:069:

A serious question for boroandproud: last season I tipped Middlesbrough for automatic promotion (and showing again my lack of judgment rather expected Newcastle to implode).

Was this the general feeling among Boro fans at the time and what has gone wrong?

Middlesbrough fan's are always optimistic before the season starts, everything looks great until we start playing for real...

the last game of the 07/08 season we beat mancity at home 8-1. we thought this was the team that was gunna storm the 08/09 season...but in the end we got relegated.

So, last season i personally thought by buying kris boyd and a few others we would have alot of goals in us...i mean, i know its Scottish league, but buying its all time top goal scorer ever...i thought we would get goals and be 1 of the top teams.

But, you also have to think about our goalkeeper suitation since Mark Schwarzer left, we have not been steady since he left. jason steele is great young keeper, but still we need more experience and just let him grow up a little more, so i think his injury has helped us. we got smith from nottingham forest and hes playing Ok. Seems like he has experience of commanding the back 4 unlike steele.:038:

( i think we will get promoted next year :icon_roll )

actually, talking about that 8-1 win, i think i am going to go watch it on youtube now! i like to watch it every now and then haha.

oh! i just realised...sven was in charge ! ;P

Last edited:
James Watson was American.

And Watson/Crick stole the glory from Rosalind Franklin and her outstanding research.

Darwin was also not the first to come up with a theory of natural selection, and much of Newton's work wouldn't be there without Kepler - though at least he had the good grace to say that he was 'standing on the shoulders of giants' - even if he was taking the piss out of Robert Hooke at the time.

Last edited:
Darwin was also not the first to come up with a theory of natural selection, and much of Newton's work wouldn't be there without Kepler - though at least he had the good grace to say that he was 'standing on the shoulders of giants' - even if he was taking the piss out of Robert Hooke at the time.

Newton is incomparable in such matters - his genius created an entire division of mathematics and brought physics into existence. He didn't adopt the ideas of others into his research lock, stock and barrel. He didn't plagiarise and he didn't sleep with sheep. Scientific giants do not come much greater than Newton.

At least one of the above points may be untrue.

Kepler was a murdering ****, the son of a whore and despised by all who knew him - and would still have been wibbling about celestial crystal shapes were it not for the mighty (and then dead) Tycho Brahe and his mammoth cataloging of the heavens.

If Kepler were alive today he would be fat, on Internet forums and full of shit while claiming to be dead brilliant and being abusive to everyone. And he'd be on my ignore list.

Newton is incomparable in such matters - his genius created an entire division of mathematics and brought physics into existence. He didn't adopt the ideas of others into his research lock, stock and barrel. He didn't plagiarise and he didn't sleep with sheep. Scientific giants do not come much greater than Newton.

At least one of the above points may be untrue.

Kepler was a murdering ****, the son of a whore and despised by all who knew him - and would still have been wibbling about celestial crystal shapes were it not for the mighty (and then dead) Tycho Brahe and his mammoth cataloging of the heavens.

If Kepler were alive today he would be fat, on Internet forums and full of shit while claiming to be dead brilliant and being abusive to everyone. And he'd be on my ignore list.

Amazing.
As often happens with my posts my defence of England was intended to provoke (although I never post anything I do not believe). It never occurred to me that the Newton-Darwin-Watson & Crick line would be the controversial one. Clearly there are visceral hatreds among the testubes and bunsen burners. Knowing little of Kepler I had not realised that there are people who detest him as much as I do Richard II, Napoleon and Don Revie.

Amazing.
As often happens with my posts my defence of England was intended to provoke (although I never post anything I do not believe). It never occurred to me that the Newton-Darwin-Watson & Crick line would be the controversial one. Clearly there are visceral hatreds among the testubes and bunsen burners. Knowing little of Kepler I had not realised that there are people who detest him as much as I do Richard II, Napoleon and Don Revie.

I think the important thing is that- despite the great-person model of history we've been brought up with- the vast, vast majority of scenitific work is built up on top of other people's work. Probably the most greatest scientist was Gallileo, a notorious plagiarist and poor lab tech, but one who had the balls to stand up for his colleagues discoveries in the face of the Pope.

That said, this only strengthens your point about the importance of institutions such as Cambridge (though Oxford, Imperial, Kings, Manchester and dare I say maybe even Leicester deserve a place on that list too)

Just got to watch this on FoxesPlayer. I'm amazed to see that the commentator believes that the sending off occurred before the penalty was taken.

Or has this been mentioned previously?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670