Match Thread Middlesbrough (a), 3rd August 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm going for a 3-0 City win. Why? Because this side looks so awful, that I cannot perceive of any way that we could win and, usually, I am proved completely wrong about such things!

Pretty much how I feel.

That line-up has mid-table mediocrity written all over it. How the **** have we got here when two years ago we had Yakubu, et al.

When you've left arguably your best player out of the squad I'm led to believe you've lost the plot.

Last edited:
Subs: Marshall, Dyer, Waghorn, Schlupp, Moore, Logan, Nugent
Surprised Danns not make it on the bench as other than Moore/Logan it's full of strikers or wide players.

He's there in Middlesborough (as he called it - see below)

neil danns ‏@dannzy1 22h
On route to middlesborough
Expand Reply Retweet Favourite More
Emmanuel LedesmaFans ‏@11ELedesmaFans 21h
@dannzy1 It's *Middlesbrough you uneducated moron
Expand
neil danns ‏@dannzy1 20h
@11ELedesmaFans and it's also called predictive text, that spelt it #whosthemoron
Expand
Emmanuel LedesmaFans ‏@11ELedesmaFans 17h
@dannzy1 You obviously are if you need to use predictive text
Expand
neil danns ‏@dannzy1 16h
@11ELedesmaFans zzzzz

When you've left arguably your best player out of the squad I'm led to believe you've lost the plot.

I'd argue that there are at least 5 players who are better. Schmeichel, Morgan, James, Nugent and Wood are more important for our team imo.

Knockaert is our most creative player, so I'm just hoping that we have a plan (and more importantly that it works!).

Has the way the season ended made people think Knockaert is more important than he is? He is without doubt our most able player, but he doesn't perform anything like consistently. I can't remember him doing much more than running into defenders since last Christmas.

It looks like Pearson has gone deliberately conservative in the hope of grinding out a result away from home. We didn't do that anywhere near enough last season and, given that we have no new personnel, the only thing to do is experiment tactically to get something different. I would hope that he changes up the players depending on who and where we are playing. We'll see.

I'd argue that there are at least 5 players who are better. Schmeichel, Morgan, James, Nugent and Wood are more important for our team imo.

Knockaert is our most creative player, so I'm just hoping that we have a plan (and more importantly that it works!).

I'd add King to that list as well.

Why would people think Nugent is anywhere near match sharp when he's missed all pre-season?

Has the way the season ended made people think Knockaert is more important than he is? He is without doubt our most able player, but he doesn't perform anything like consistently. I can't remember him doing much more than running into defenders since last Christmas.

It looks like Pearson has gone deliberately conservative in the hope of grinding out a result away from home. We didn't do that anywhere near enough last season and, given that we have no new personnel, the only thing to do is experiment tactically to get something different. I would hope that he changes up the players depending on who and where we are playing. We'll see.

I can understand leaving him out the starting line-up but leaving him off the bench is non-sensical to say the least. He's the player you'd want to bring on if you're losing in the latter stages of the game.

I'm a Pearson defender but it's a bizarre team to say the least and he's setting himself up for a fall if we lose this one.

He is, undoubtedly worth a spot on the bench, surely?

I totally understand the conservative approach, especially as it relates to the midfielders. But he offers something off the bench that we now dont have today.

I'm not arguing he should definitely be in the 11, but to leave him out of the 16 smacks of typical tough guy posturing from Pearson to me. Could damage the confidence of one of our few flair players in the long run too.

Last edited:
I can understand leaving him out the starting line-up but leaving him off the bench is non-sensical to say the least. He's the player you'd want to bring on if you're losing in the latter stages of the game.

I'm a Pearson defender but it's a bizarre team to say the least and he's setting himself up for a fall if we lose this one.

I'd have started him myself and I am surprised he isn't in the squad at all, but can't agree that Pearson is setting himself up for a fall if we lose on the basis of Knockaert's absence. We lost plenty with him in the side last season.

He is, undoubtedly worth a spot on the bench, surely?

I totally understand the conservative approach, especially as it relates to the midfielders. But he offers something off the bench that we now dont have today.

I'm not arguing he should definitely be in the 11, but to leave him out of the 16 smacks of typical tough guy posturing from Pearson to me. Could damage the confidence of one of our few flair players in the long run too.

Posturing based on what though? Are there problems with Knockaert I'm unaware of? I've paid no attention over the pre-season because I like to ignore Leicester City for the summer, so it's quite possible I've missed something. If not it would seem extremely unusual for Pearson to decide to pick on a talented player for the sake of it. Pearson needs to win games for his own sake. Why would he spite himself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669