Millwall match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
LeeH said:
To be honest, I don't see how it does solve the problem. There were more than enough Millwall fans loitering by the time we were let out so they can't say they held us in until the area was clear. All it does is make it easier to identify the away fans. What's to stop their 'boys' moving outside whatever limits have been designated, and ambushing the fans who make it there about 20 minutes after they do, as the chances are these poor unfortunates are the away fans?

If a club has an ongoing problem with it's supporters, then the footballing authorities should be making them do something about it instead of finding new and ingenious ways of trying to do City out of points/money etc. If our fans were that much of a threat, no doubt we'd be thrown out of the football league as a consequence.

I'm not disagreeing with a word of what you are saying, but I don't think you can disregard the huge amount of work that has gone on down there in this respect. I understand that Millwall has got the largest proportion of its fans on banning orders in the whole country. It has made a huge contribution to safety down there and their atmosphere has suffered because of it. In previous years if their team had set about us like they did in the second half, the fans would have roared them onto victory: there was hardly a whimper from them on Saturday.

The club, in cooperation with the Met police, have removed the problem of violence from the ground and its vicinity. If those arrangements had not been in place on Saturday,you are fully aware that there would have violence immediately after the game - you even know that people had come down from Leicester to be part of any violence that took place. The fact is that it finally took place away from the ground and can be seen for what it is - nothing to do with football, and everything to do with violent people. Everybody who didn't want to be involved was able to stay away from the trouble - that would almost certainly not have been the case if the precautionary measures had not been in place.

bocadillo said:
The club, in cooperation with the Met police, have removed the problem of violence from the ground and its vicinity. If those arrangements had not been in place on Saturday,you are fully aware that there would have violence immediately after the game - you even know that people had come down from Leicester to be part of any violence that took place. The fact is that it finally took place away from the ground and can be seen for what it is - nothing to do with football, and everything to do with violent people. Everybody who didn't want to be involved was able to stay away from the trouble - that would almost certainly not have been the case if the precautionary measures had not been in place.
Pains me to say it, but I must agree with Boc. They held us in for less time than I was expecting, and I was back in the pub at London Bridge in pretty quick order. Just for once, I was pleased to see a large Police presence.

bocadillo said:
I'm not disagreeing with a word of what you are saying, but I don't think you can disregard the huge amount of work that has gone on down there in this respect. I understand that Millwall has got the largest proportion of its fans on banning orders in the whole country. It has made a huge contribution to safety down there and their atmosphere has suffered because of it. In previous years if their team had set about us like they did in the second half, the fans would have roared them onto victory: there was hardly a whimper from them on Saturday.

You'll have to bear with me, it's Monday, I'm grumpy, and I'm pissed off that a few can go and spoil things for the majority. I've had a 'bit of an argument' on the 'other forum' regarding hooliganism recently, which hasn't helped.

However naive, I do look forward to the day when I can drink in any pub I want to before or after a game, even have a beer during the game, and without fear of harrassment from police, stewards, or other supporters.

LeeH said:
You'll have to bear with me, it's Monday, I'm grumpy, and I'm pissed off that a few can go and spoil things for the majority. I've had a 'bit of an argument' on the 'other forum' regarding hooliganism recently, which hasn't helped.

However naive, I do look forward to the day when I can drink in any pub I want to before or after a game, even have a beer during the game, and without fear of harrassment from police, stewards, or other supporters.
I generally can have a beer wherever I like, but believe me there's nowhere near Millwall you'd want to imbibe! I had a pint before the game and a half-time in the ground, I don't think I would be standing if I could sup during the game as well.:icon_razz

Real Sharapova said:
I generally can have a beer wherever I like, but believe me there's nowhere near Millwall you'd want to imbibe! I had a pint before the game and a half-time in the ground, I don't think I would be standing if I could sup during the game as well.:icon_razz
We drove past some places a bit further out that looked ok from the outside, and last season we drank in Greenwich, which is nice. But I know what you mean! To be honest, we didn't arrive in time to do anything, but that's another story!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669