MM "Promotion THIS season..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

consty

Has anyone else noticed this very direct shift in terminology MM has used in recent days? In referring to the departure of MA he has said LCFC must get on with achieving promotion this season thus there has been a shift from saying "within 3 years"... to promotion "THIS season?" It's not just a slip of the tongue - it is known that MM has always wanted it this season anyway but being so upfront about it is significant and could also partly be behind MA's dismissal.

Here's the possible significance: To achieve promotion right away is going to take two or three better players than LCFC have currently got. But they can potentially cost a lot of money. Manderic likes to build his teams relatively on the cheap - which means free transfer players including old players who may have one good season (maybe two) left in them. Sure, they'll command high wages but the are still cheaper than a succesfull and in-demand 22-25 year old's transfer fee. He is also happy to fund signing a good premier league and international player on loan for a season. MA probably wanted young, hungry players. Perhaps this strategy of MM's is why he did not fall out with Rednapp (a strong minded individual) because in the early years he AGREED with it and was happy to sign old players. Thus perhaps MM would have been happy for MA to draw up a list of say ten proven 32+ year olds available on a free and choose which 2 or 3 HE wanted without MM's interference - but MA refused to shop in this market at all. He wanted young players and young prospects from now on (because MM was certainly not going to hand over any more £2.1m transfer fees for them) - which meant that if they came good it was more likely to be in 2008/09. MM's feeling however is that old players signed 'in bulk' would find at least 2 or 3 of them (with one or two also proving to be too over the hill) taking the team to the premiership immediately.

Finally, the significance in this outright declaration of strategy is that the new manager will definately be the next victim if LCFC are not in, or strongly challenging for, the top 6 by xmas. Perhaps MM wants promotion now also because, on a business front, he has seen the debts piling up already for the costs of running the club including wages & transfer fees already accrued and they will pile up substantially if he has to repeat the process NEXT season. However if LCFC are promoted this season, he will have barely reached into his pocket before the big money of the premiership is gaurenteed and MM will see that the hole burnt in his pocket this season will end and that re-imbursement and indeed profit are round the corner. But next season in the Championship would be an expensive campaign to fund, on top of this one.

Last edited:
Probably interesting, but reading a block of text like that on a friday afternoon is a big ask.

divide and conquer

Can anyone do an executive summary?
I just couldn't be arsed to read all of those letters so close together.

Yet even more speculation. :icon_roll

Certainly worth considering though consty, but I doubt we will ever know. I was thinking that MM may see the big money bubble of the Premiership about to burst and therefore wants to get there ASAP, whereas what you say, MA wanted to build a young and hungry team, and eventually get them to the Premiership. We will just never know.

Probably interesting, but reading a block of text like that on a friday afternoon is a big ask.

Drew & Hazzman, I've noted your point and quickly gone to 'edit' before the allowable time expires & chopped it into 3 paras! You're both right - dividing up makes it easier to read. Sorry.

Something about MA shitting in Milan's car........

I've heard that one as well, from a source close to the chairman himself.
Apparently Milan didn't realise until he got in the car & MA refused to pay his dry cleaning bill.
Looks like there must be some truth in it

Something about MA shitting in Milan's car........
You think that's bad.

You should feel sorry for poor Henri Paul, 10 years ago he had dye splattered all over the back seat of his car.

If I have read your post right Consty, you see it as MM wants instant promotion this season (from having originally said 3 years), and wants to build the team with older players. Whilst MA wanted to take a more long term approach and build a young team - more expensive and slower, but more sustainable over the long term.

I think that makes sense and I could see why it would cause a clash between them and the cause of the JFH fiasco.

The problem then is MM's lack of communication. He should have either - not changed his strategy so early in the season, or he should have communicated it all to MA at the interview! Either way he put MA in a difficult position as MA clearly fancies the younger players.

It prompts a slightly different debate - Young, sustained team built over 3 years Vs old players winning instant promotion and then having to buy a brand new team again next year.

Interesting

Yes, I've noticed we've gone to promotion this year: and i don't like it. During the close season, there seemed to be an agreement that the club needed to turn around and that it would take a minimum of two seasons.
Three games in and suddenly we are World beaters. I don't see it. WBA, Sheffield Utd., Watford, Stoke & Charlton are all much further down the road than we are.
The idea of throwing together a few wrinklies - even if we were to go up - doesn't do it: we need to grow.

Kettering Pete,
From MM's point of view - given he has to pay for the route to promotion - going for old players and achieving promotion now on the cheap (relatively) but then having to rebuild a brand new team is a BETTER one. You see buying the new team is paid for by the premier league bonanza, rather than out of his own pocket. He's probably seen what LCFC are costing him now - and doesn't fancy another season paying for it again.

Kettering Pete,
From MM's point of view - given he has to pay for the route to promotion - going for old players and achieving promotion now on the cheap (relatively) but then having to rebuild a brand new team is a BETTER one. You see buying the new team is paid for by the premier league bonanza, rather than out of his own pocket. He's probably seen what LCFC are costing him now - and doesn't fancy another season paying for it again.

He's probably getting itchy feet that he'll miss out on all the Russian and Americans looking to buy a footy club if we take too long to get promoted.

Yes, I've noticed we've gone to promotion this year: and i don't like it. During the close season, there seemed to be an agreement that the club needed to turn around and that it would take a minimum of two seasons.
Three games in and suddenly we are World beaters. I don't see it. WBA, Sheffield Utd., Watford, Stoke & Charlton are all much further down the road than we are.
The idea of throwing together a few wrinklies - even if we were to go up - doesn't do it: we need to grow.

I agree with you and Kettering Pete.

BTW, Bill Hicks was the greatest.

1) Gor for promotion this year and face possible immediate relegation.
2) Settle the squad and go for promotion next year or the year after

I'm very sorry to those I'm about to offend (not really), but if you choose option 2 then I do really genuinely believe you suffer from some sort of mental illness.

We MUST get promotion at the first opportunity, whatever the cost, and if that cost is a mouthy cockney, then I for one can live with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363