MM "Promotion THIS season..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends where you are coming from. From down here in South Wales, West Brom is less of a trek ;)

The Robbie Savage school of Geography was also amusing. He cited wanting to go to Blackburn and leave B'ham as being because it was easier to get to Wales from there. Unfortunately his lack of research and education caught him out. However for what he lacks in education he makes up for in hair and highlights

Kettering Pete,
From MM's point of view - given he has to pay for the route to promotion - going for old players and achieving promotion now on the cheap (relatively) but then having to rebuild a brand new team is a BETTER one. You see buying the new team is paid for by the premier league bonanza, rather than out of his own pocket. He's probably seen what LCFC are costing him now - and doesn't fancy another season paying for it again.

I agree with you. From MM's point of view the older players route is the best option. The question is, is it Leicester City's?

1) Gor for promotion this year and face possible immediate relegation.
2) Settle the squad and go for promotion next year or the year after

I'm very sorry to those I'm about to offend (not really), but if you choose option 2 then I do really genuinely believe you suffer from some sort of mental illness.

We MUST get promotion at the first opportunity, whatever the cost, and if that cost is a mouthy cockney, then I for one can live with it.

I am not suggesting that we in some way turn down promotion. If we build and things go well, fantastic, let us go up this season. Quick fix promotion was the original MA - Mickey Adams - solution. In that instance, I think it was necessary from the financial point of view but, it didn't do us much good, in football terms, which is what interests me as a supporter.

Kettering Pete,
From MM's point of view - given he has to pay for the route to promotion - going for old players and achieving promotion now on the cheap (relatively) but then having to rebuild a brand new team is a BETTER one. You see buying the new team is paid for by the premier league bonanza, rather than out of his own pocket. He's probably seen what LCFC are costing him now - and doesn't fancy another season paying for it again.

More likely seen the amount of wedge being lined up behind some other Championship clubs as their owners prepare to gamble on getting to the Prem, sees that as only likely to continue (and with relegated clubs getting more too) and doesn't have the resources to cope with that level of competition.

I agree with you. From MM's point of view the older players route is the best option. The question is, is it Leicester City's?

Good question (I know you're agreeing with my point btw, sorry it looked like I thought otherwise). This could be a very interesting debate/question that you're asking.

MM's track record is plain to see. Not only is there the much commented on 'he likes to hire and fire' but his partnership with Rednapp was built on the strategy of funding promotion by going for old players on free transfers (and also any young ones on a free). In multi-millionaire terms, he likes to get promotion/success on the cheap. It's a matter of record. Not criticising, when you're paying for something out of your own pocket you can understand it.

Last edited:
1) Gor for promotion this year and face possible immediate relegation.
2) Settle the squad and go for promotion next year or the year after

I'm very sorry to those I'm about to offend (not really), but if you choose option 2 then I do really genuinely believe you suffer from some sort of mental illness.

We MUST get promotion at the first opportunity, whatever the cost, and if that cost is a mouthy cockney, then I for one can live with it.

But what's the point of going up for just one year? If we go up most of the players wouldn't be good enough as has nearly always been proved. I think if we go up MM would like to sell for a big profit to some Yanky Football Team owner or rich Russian Oil Tycoon/Mafia boss!

I can think of 50 million bloody good reasons.

Yes, but as football fans, surely its the team not the finances that excite. I know its a business and I can quite see why MM wants promotion yesterday but I still don't think it is in the long term interests of Leicester City to go up unprepared.

More likely seen the amount of wedge being lined up behind some other Championship clubs as their owners prepare to gamble on getting to the Prem, sees that as only likely to continue (and with relegated clubs getting more too) and doesn't have the resources to cope with that level of competition.

Agreed, this may well be part of the equation that came up in MM's mind. It's compatable with my speculation/post. They fit together. In essence MM is seeing being in the Championship is costing a fortune and to fund it again next season he distinctly dislikes on a cost basis let alone a supporter basis. And as you rightly say, the stakes from our compeititors plus next seasons relegated bunch are going to be raised even further. Thus MM wants it now. He insists on it now.

Last edited:
Yes, but as football fans, surely its the team not the finances that excite. I know its a business and I can quite see why MM wants promotion yesterday but I still don't think it is in the long term interests of Leicester City to go up unprepared.
You can't prepare for the Premier League whilst in this league. You have to take a punt at getting out of here ASAP, and then worry about survival when you're up.

Last edited:
But what's the point of going up for just one year?

The Prem has had a huge increase in the amount of money they're getting from Sky. Because of this, every season that passes, the gap between them and the rest will get bigger and bigger. The sooner we go up, the more chance we'll have of being able to compete and stay up.

If we go up and last just one year, at least we'll have Sky money - and parachute payments, which will make it easier to go up again the following year.

The money teams relegated from the Prem will have is far more than MM can pout into the club, so going up is financially the best thing that can happen, and the sooner it happens the better.

out of the 3 years we got to the play offs under Brian Little, the promotion team was arguably the weakest, and then Joachim lost it and we had a nightmare season. But the 94/95 season didn't do us any harm in the long run.

The Prem has had a huge increase in the amount of money they're getting from Sky. Because of this, every season that passes, the gap between them and the rest will get bigger and bigger. The sooner we go up, the more chance we'll have of being able to compete and stay up.

If we go up and last just one year, at least we'll have Sky money - and parachute payments, which will make it easier to go up again the following year.

The money teams relegated from the Prem will have is far more than MM can pout into the club, so going up is financially the best thing that can happen, and the sooner it happens the better.

I may not agree asthetically, but I think that is the most compelling arguement for instant promotion. I suppose the debate now turns to whether we can realistically hope to get promotion.

Which, as I'm sure you'd agree, again translates into MM's strategy being
1) pay for promotion by getting 3 or 4 old stagers in on high wages (plus the odd young gun or two)
2) then take it from there. Buy big with the premiership money that comes in, regardless of age.

Last edited:
Good question (I know you're agreeing with my point btw, sorry it looked like I thought otherwise). This could be a very interesting debate/question that you're asking.

MM's track record is plain to see. Not only is there the much commented on 'he likes to hire and fire' but his partnership with Rednapp was built on the strategy of funding promotion by going for old players on free transfers (and also any young ones on a free). In multi-millionaire terms, he likes to get promotion/success on the cheap. It's a matter of record. Not criticising, when you're paying for something out of your own pocket you can understand it.

I'm in two minds about it. Sooner or later the Sky bubble will burst - like that TV channel that went bust on us and helped to put us in administration. So it could be a good thing to get up there quickly. The trouble with that is it that each season clubs like ours are fighting for players, inflating their wages and their transfer fees. We cannot gaurantee to get what would amount to a brand new squad that could stay up - even with Mandarics money. And back we come down again.

As a buisness plan this is not sustainable. Even with the parachute payments. I would prefer steady growth and a good infrastructure. Good quality players are more likely to be attracted to us that way than to a club that is likely to yo yo.

I would like promotion this season though.... be nice!

Isn't it better to go up and stay up? Nobody disagrees with trying to get to the Prems as soon as possible but how and and what cost to the long term future of the club.

We have had too many managers and too many changes in playing staff in the last 7 years to have any sustainable long term future as a top flight club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669