MongFest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't believe my eyes yesterday!!!

I was still in the concourse as the teams came out and the PHG was being played. I actually witnessed more than one person jumping up and down and shadow boxing to the music in the style of Rocky Balboa.

They also had their hoods up. Proper Mongie behaviour.

To wich you promptly ran to your seat to do a 90 minute sit down statue impression other than to shout the odd expletive :icon_wink :icon_razz

I think the representations of young Leicester fans are widely misconstrued.

I'm pretty sure, judging by the comments in this thread, that I'd be perceived as a "chav". Someone that likes to go to matches with his mates, stand up and sing a few songs. Seems to be the common stereotype of young adults at matches nowadays.

What a lot of people in this thread are doing is just tarnishing all people with the same brush. I did not agree with some of the chants against Watford - Therefore I didn't join in. I don't sit in L1 either so I can't really pass judgment on Jobber, but when I have seen him at away games, most of the time he's an approachable bloke.

There are plenty of idiots around that support our club, not just the "Mongies" as you call them.

I was just reading the Filbert Street thread a minute ago and it was a good read, experiences I'll probably never get to experience at the bowl, but I do want to make an effort to support my team and get behind them.

We're not all fools and twats!

I'm pretty sure, judging by the comments in this thread, that I'd be perceived as a "chav". Someone that likes to go to matches with his mates, stand up and sing a few songs. Seems to be the common stereotype of young adults at matches nowadays.

What a lot of people in this thread are doing is just tarnishing all people with the same brush. I did not agree with some of the chants against Watford - Therefore I didn't join in. I don't sit in L1 either so I can't really pass judgment on Jobber, but when I have seen him at away games, most of the time he's an approachable bloke.

There are plenty of idiots around that support our club, not just the "Mongies" as you call them.

I was just reading ool
the Filbert Street thread a minute ago and it was a good read, experiences I'll probably never get to experience at the bowl, but I do want to make an effort to support my team and get behind them.

spot on im 21 and we're the future of the football club!!:icon_cool

Last edited:

I was just reading the Filbert Street thread a minute ago and it was a good read, experiences I'll probably never get to experience at the bowl, but I do want to make an effort to support my team and get behind them.

What a bizarre post :102:

All you needed to say was "I'm not one of the mongies, my behaviour dictates and confirms that I'm not". This thread is all about behaviour of the stereotypical mongie, and as you've pointed out, you don't behave like that.

Why do you think you would be labelled one?

What a bizarre post :102:

All you needed to say was "I'm not one of the mongies, my behaviour dictates and confirms that I'm not". This thread is all about behaviour of the stereotypical mongie, and as you've pointed out, you don't behave like that.

Why do you think you would be labelled one?
Maybe I could have said that, but I didn't. I hear so much about how the way people act at football, I wanted to detail it a bit more.

I think I'd be labeled as one because I'd probably be seen around the sort of people you refer to as "Mongies". Not because I get on with them, but because I want to be involved with the atmosphere.

Maybe I could have said that, but I didn't. I hear so much about how the way people act at football, I wanted to detail it a bit more.

I think I'd be labeled as one because I'd probably be seen around the sort of people you refer to as "Mongies". Not because I get on with them, but because I want to be involved with the atmosphere.

But surely many, if not all of us want to be involved with the atmosphere of your typical football ground - For me, thats another reason to go and watch the matches live, rather than on the box...So I'm not sure why you think you'd be pulled up about that?

I think, in my opinion anyway, it's the behaviour of some of our younger (and older, sadly) fans away at Watford that I have the problem with. That kind of behaviour makes me want to stay away from our games, because I don't want to even hear that nonsense, let alone sit and stand with them.

But surely many, if not all of us want to be involved with the atmosphere of your typical football ground - For me, thats another reason to go and watch the matches live, rather than on the box...So I'm not sure why you think you'd be pulled up about that?

I think, in my opinion anyway, it's the behaviour of some of our younger (and older, sadly) fans away at Watford that I have the problem with. That kind of behaviour makes me want to stay away from our games, because I don't want to even hear that nonsense, let alone sit and stand with them.
I don't have a problem standing with them myself, but I can see why others would.

That's the one thing about away games I don't like. The uncertainty of who you're going to be sat/stood next to. I think unreserved seating helps if I'm honest. It can spoil the game for you if example Melton Fox is seated next to a Mongie!

It can spoil the game for you if example Melton Fox is seated next to a Mongie!
At Watford, I had a mongie either side of me, and three in front of me. Made worse by a Mother defending her son's actions to the two boys that were with us who couldn't see because her thick son was standing up in front of them.

I have a big problem with standing at football matches. It's not allowed, and it ruins the game for those behind who feel like we are obliged to follow the rules.

This isn't to say that I'm not against standing areas.

I don't have a problem standing with them myself, but I can see why others would.

That's the one thing about away games I don't like. The uncertainty of who you're going to be sat/stood next to. I think unreserved seating helps if I'm honest. It can spoil the game for you if example Melton Fox is seated next to a Mongie!

No, he should sat next too them ,its not like he moans about them that much is it :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Last edited:
At Watford, I had a mongie either side of me, and three in front of me. Made worse by a Mother defending her son's actions to the two boys that were with us who couldn't see because her thick son was standing up in front of them.

I have a big problem with standing at football matches. It's not allowed, and it ruins the game for those behind who feel like we are obliged to follow the rules.

This isn't to say that I'm not against standing areas.

If you want to stand up stand at the back.

In a crowd of 25,000 there will be just about every iterration of the football supporter. We had a group of middle aged council workers who had a got cheap tickets. They were very merry when they got in to the ground and then proceeded to neck pints in the concourse bars before taking thair seats 5 minutes after kick off. Each one singing their own song and passing around hip flasks, then 2 trips to the bog before another pint or two at half time and back to the "global warming means you'll drown and your farms on fire" songs. Then another 2 trips to the bog before leaving 10 minutes before the end , in fact two never came back at half time! Completely harmless but it got on me nerves after a bit.
:icon_roll

Just genius Fludie, if people stand at the back then the people at the front who are sat down can see.

You could well be on to something here, also if each seat was a little higher than the seat in front of it, more people will be able to get a good view of the game.

It will never catch on though.

It's not that easy though is it because the majority of away games have reserved seating, the ticket office will not simply give you a seat in the back row and Leicester fans are a very stubborn bunch. On numerous occassions me and a mate have politely asked two people sitting near the back if they intend on standing or are sitting with other friends, and if not would they like to switch to our two seats nearer front. They usually respond that they are not but refuse to swap seats, just on some pointless principle.

Also, when games are unreserved seating so those that want to stand can head for the back, the same people that have a problem with standing come on here and complain about the disorganisation of the seating arrangement.

Anyway, if you're pissed off about people standing in front of you and agree that if people had a choice this would resolve the issue, get involved in the StandupSitdown campaign. Then everyone will be happy.

It's not that easy though is it because the majority of away games have reserved seating, the ticket office will not simply give you a seat in the back row and Leicester fans are a very stubborn bunch. On numerous occassions me and a mate have politely asked two people sitting near the back if they intend on standing or are sitting with other friends, and if not would they like to switch to our two seats nearer front. They usually respond that they are not but refuse to swap seats, just on some pointless principle.

Perhaps it's not a pointless principle. Perhaps they like to be at the back and perhaps they like sitting down - it is possible to want to do both.

Also, when games are unreserved seating so those that want to stand can head for the back, the same people that have a problem with standing come on here and complain about the disorganisation of the seating arrangement.

What about the rights of those who want to sit at the back because they like sitting at the back?

Anyway, if you're pissed off about people standing in front of you and agree that if people had a choice this would resolve the issue, get involved in the StandupSitdown campaign. Then everyone will be happy.

It's your campaign and I am old enough to remember how dangerous standing can be. I'm happy that people have had the choice removed and that sports grounds are a safer place than they used to be. Why should I support your stance so you can behave just exactly how you like instead of having to obey the rules?

Last edited:
I'm happy that people have had the choice removed and that sports grounds are a safer place than they used to be. Why should I support your stance so you can behave just exactly how you like instead of having to obey the rules?

But do you not agree that creating a specified standing area causes less problems than people standing in seated areas, for both parties?

I know people should not stand, but it happens and i know which option i think to be the safer of the two.

I find it natural for me to stand during a game of football, where my excitement levels are high, and im very into what is happening on the pitch, i would love a specified standing area so that i can do it without infringing the on ohter peoples enjoyment of the game.

Perhaps it's not a pointless principle. Perhaps they like to be at the back and perhaps they like sitting down - it is possible to want to do both.

What about the rights of those who want to sit at the back because they like sitting at the back?

It's your campaign and I am old enough to remember how dangerous standing can be. I'm happy that people have had the choice removed and that sports grounds are a safer place than they used to be. Why should I support your stance so you can behave just exactly how you like instead of having to obey the rules?

Whatever geez. Do some research before you try and act like I'm some prick who wants a return to poorly designed old terraces. Safe standing areas incorporating modern technology with health and safety as their paramount concern exist in many league across Europe, Germany for example. There is evidence that LESS accidents happen in stadiums where part of the ground is set aside for such an area. I could write paragraphs and paragraphs on this and give you a list of links supporting it but somehow I don't think it'd change your view so I won't bother. Have a look on google if you ever want to try not being quite so stuck in your ways though eh.

Oh and I find your attitude towards the point that people may want to stand at the back so they don't disturb people that want to sit very arrogant. If you're going to be so inconsiderate and not give people who differ to you even a tiny bit of compromise then fingers crossed next time you go to an away game some enthusiastic fan who wants to stand, sing and support his team in ways that aren't just financial does so in the seat right in front of yours.

Oh and I'd like to point out then when I ask someone if they'd like to swap to my seat nearer the front it's not a purely selfish act. I tend to ask people who are sitting behind the lads I see standing near the back at a lot of away games but who don't look like they are going to want to stand themselves (usually confirmed when I ask them.) Therefore they are probably going to be forced to stand up all game when they'd prefer to sit. But no, no I'm just some deviant twat who wants to commit the heinous crime of standing at a football match whilst making my best efforts not to inconvenience anyone else in the process.

Oh and I'd like to point out then when I ask someone if they'd like to swap to my seat nearer the front it's not a purely selfish act. I tend to ask people who are sitting behind the lads I see standing near the back at a lot of away games but who don't look like they are going to want to stand themselves (usually confirmed when I ask them.) Therefore they are probably going to be forced to stand up all game when they'd prefer to sit. But no, no I'm just some deviant twat who wants to commit the heinous crime of standing at a football match whilst making my best efforts not to inconvenience anyone else in the process.

Chillout chopsticks, I'm feeling your pain.

boc's just afraid to stand up because of his shorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669